Dog aggression towards other dog...

Warren

The aggressor is Irish Wolfhound the other is a mini Kelpie, both desexed, if I take the Irish wolfhound out for a walk and come back, also when the Kelpie is taken out and comes back in, other than that they get along, also a male pug that is not desexed but he seems to not be bothered, it is just when entering the yard...

Edited by Warren

males , or females ? 
have they grown up together ? 
how old are they ?
What are they like when being fed ? 
When out for a walk ...is this every day that they get aggro? 

Do they share a bed? 

When out walking..do they roll in things? 
What are they like with dogs when out walking ? 
How are they both when strange dogs walk/run past their section of fence at home ? 

The more info you give, the more chance we have of maybe coming up with ideas,.  ;) 

and what is a "mini kelpie" ? :) They sound like the "Odd Couple" LOL 

Both females,

Grew up together,

Kelpie 6, Irish wolfhound 3

Kelpie can be food dominant,

Irish wolfhound gets agro at the Kelpie if she is left behind in the yard and also the other way around,

No bed sharing, but the Kelpie will start lying the bed to stop the other dog from lying down.

Kelp rolls in things as we live on a farm.

When both walked together no issues,

Mini Kellie only way to explain the size of her being a Kelpie lol

Both desexed

The Irish wolfhound is happy but cautious when walking, but gets a bit dominant aggressive if stationary if dogs get too close,

The Kelpie is silently dominant.

• Like 1

Classic age for girls to rule the roost & decide the chain of importance ,could also be something else.
If your really concerned better to seek a good trainer who can come to your home & watch the pack dynamics so you can learn to manage what is going on correctly or create a safe set up for when not home .
Sometimes if a dog is showing other issues checking for thyroid problems in a dog showing changes is a good start to rule anything out there .

• Like 2

Thanks for the info :) 

it sounds as if there is some tension rumbling away constantly...and changing things by going away/returning can exacerbate the various concerns :(
As bitches can have VERY SERIOUS fights ..and as there are such huge size differences , I also would recommend a GOOD, Recommended  and researched trainer  to assess and advise  you . 
If you give an area ..someone here may know of one who is not a waste of time & money like so many  can be :(

• Like 2

At 3 the Wolfhound is just coming into maturity... and may decide that the pecking order needs to change. This is NOT a good thing, and is definitely NOT safe for the 2 smaller dogs if she decides to start something. As stated above, when 2 bitches get it on seriously, then that will be that, and they won't be able to run together at all after that happens.

I'd suggest that if solo walks and returning is the trigger, but paired walks don't have the problem happen, then paired walks are probably your best option moving forward.

I'd still watch for any other adverse nehaviours that may indicate that the big girl is trying to change the order... this may only be the start of things.

T.

• Like 1

The pug she plays with. Even plays with the Kelpie at times still, I even another 2 male pugs visiting at the moment, the big male pug seems to put her in her place, she seems to be way to attached to me which can be a trigger I think, really do not want to RE home the big girl, but will see how it goes...and note too self never have 2 female dogs again...

Edited by Warren
  • Like 1

Been just praising her, tryinv getting her to stay while i pat the other dogs then praising her, and just giving her a quick re direction for correction if she starts to get a low growl happening, and start feeding them separate to get food dominance out of them both, getting in contact with a behaviour trainer.

• Like 1

Weird thing with extra dogs as she does know them, all is good, she plays our own pug constanly, lets him eat out of the same bowl, lies down to let him jump all over her, sometimes both bitches play with him, and the big girl shares bones with him, the two main things i find is leaving and returning to the yard and when both bitches off lead the Irish Wolfhound can get over excited and run over her when they both get called back, in the yard together they both are calm, both will sit around me chewing bones without issue, live the same shed, the smaller one will sqeeze between her and me if necessary to get a pat, so i will say not all is lost, i do very much appreciate the comments and advice...

Edited by Warren

2 hours ago, Warren said:

, she plays our own pug constanly, lets him eat out of the same bowl, lies down to let him jump all over her, sometimes both bitches play with him, and the big girl shares bones with him,

male and female dynamics.... VERY different kettle of fish :) . two bitches ... totally different story :(

• Like 2

I've been around a lot of dogs.  I wouldn't want to advise on this without seeing the problem first hand.  There's aggression and there's Aggression. Sometimes the owner can inadvertently be a trigger, sometimes a damper, sometimes it's entirely between the dogs. I'm not a big fan of behavioralists, but I do think it's a good idea to go over this with an outside person who has a lot of experience with dogs. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

I've been around a lot of dogs.  I wouldn't want to advise on this without seeing the problem first hand.  There's aggression and there's Aggression. Sometimes the owner can inadvertently be a trigger, sometimes a damper, sometimes it's entirely between the dogs. I'm not a big fan of behavioralists, but I do think it's a good idea to go over this with an outside person who has a lot of experience with dogs. 

good points .

• Like 1

I don't think it is too major, big pinned her once, a bit of a snarl, was hit with cold water from the hose, took them out this morning both fine, I think i have worked it out so far, big dog owns yard, small dog owns shed, starting to figure it out...

• Like 2

It'll be clearer after you have the professional spend time with you, and work out a plan. :) That's a good start though :)
Just a thought, too ..something which looks minor to us can be major to the dogs concerned ..and can niggle away for some time, (as we often miss a lot of very subtle body language between dogs ) until one day they decide to sort it properly. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Warren said:

I don't think it is too major, big pinned her once, a bit of a snarl, was hit with cold water from the hose, took them out this morning both fine, I think i have worked it out so far, big dog owns yard, small dog owns shed, starting to figure it out...

Dont you believe it & you wont always be there with a hose .2 Females who decide to have it on will not care how cold the hose is .
Your girls are young & this is manageable .Chances are its the Kelpie pushing the buttons but if the Wolfhound decides the bear has poked one too many times then the Kelpie wont stand a chance .
You own the backyard not the dogs .

• Like 4