DNA test curiosity

Alexemous

Hi everyone, iv recently rescued a 9 month old “staffie cross”. I’m dying to know what she is crossed with but I heard that if your dog has any percentage of a restricted breed, they have to report it and put your dog on the restricted list blah blah blah. I’m not particularly worried that my dog is any part restricted breed but you never know and I’d hate to lose her/make her life difficult. Has anyone had any experience with a DNA dog test? Do the results only go to you? I’m assuming it’s in the case where a vet sees your dog has a percentage of “dangerous dog” and is obligated to report it.. any advice is welcome (: thanks in advance 

You can purchase DNA test kits that don't go through a veterinarian... you deal directly with the company.  I'd say that's risk free so far as getting reported goes.  No guarantee the results are accurate or meaningful. There's so much confusion about pits as breed vs type, and AmStaff vs APBT that it gets quite muddled.  If I remember correctly, in some parts of California (Santa Rosa County for one) a Staffy is considered a pit bull! 

Edited by sandgrubber
Minor additions

I recently did an Embark test, you make an account when you activate your kit and so far the only people who have seen the results are the people I've shared the link with, as far as I know.

Edit: you can make the results not public 

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 5.05.47 pm.png

Edited by leac1801

I've had two embarks done :) Embark does not forward your results on to anyone you do not want to, so nobody need see your results. Nor can anyone demand your results be made public. Embark does not report your dogs results to anyone.

What you do when making your dog's account, is set all the settings to Not Shared as Leac has screenshot. If you have multiple dogs you can then have it set to all dogs on your account, or just the one dog. You can even opt out of having your dogs dna contribute to research if you want to.

Should you wish to share your dog's health results with the vet,  be mindful that also includes the breed make up on the first page. However, the vet sharing is not mandatory and is entirely up to you (you have to type their email in and press send or download the pdf and print it out).

Edited by Two Best Dogs!
saaave