Obsessive barking

DingoCC

Hi,

New member needing some advice.  We have a 9 month old male Dalmation not yet desexed. He pursues human female's with genital sniffing.  He understands 'leave it' and stops, but then barks continuously at them.  Distraction and redirection works, but only for so long. My wife and daughter are at wits' ends.

Barking, I'm guessing, is the release for frustration and tension.  He is very energetic in general.  The household is very stressed. 

John from Ausdog is booked for next Wednesday as an emergency measure. I'm not expecting a quick turn around in behavior though.

What do I do with this dog?

2 hours ago, DingoCC said:

Hi,

New member needing some advice.  We have a 9 month old male Dalmation not yet desexed. He pursues human female's with genital sniffing.  He understands 'leave it' and stops, but then barks continuously at them.  Distraction and redirection works, but only for so long. My wife and daughter are at wits' ends.

Barking, I'm guessing, is the release for frustration and tension.  He is very energetic in general.  The household is very stressed. 

John from Ausdog is booked for next Wednesday as an emergency measure. I'm not expecting a quick turn around in behavior though.

What do I do with this dog?

:( Sounds as if you are at your wits' end .
You need some education/assistance, and Your  canine'teenager' needs consequences ..like any teenager . 
It's good that you are getting professional advice . ...this should be NOT seen as emergency one-off  ..but for now..as a regular and necessary thing . 
Dallies are smart and strong willed ...and have stamina... you & your family are about to embark on a big learning curve !  :)

here's some reading for you in the meantime :) From a professional for whom I have much respect . 

LINK 

LINK

LINK

LINK

Edited by persephone

They are very active, and smart . 

How much exercise does he get ? 

Do you remove him when he starts to bark ? 

Mine had at least 2 walks a day offlead running and chasing rabbits for an hour each walk . 

Is he being desexed ? 

• Like 1

So I’m going to throw something out there. My Dally is 12, entire, agility champion and oh my does he love sniffing. Anything female. And you know what? Normal. Desexed or not. 

Your dog does NOT understand “leave it”. If he did he would. What actually happens is that you cause an association between the “command” and the behaviour. Thus making the behaviour STRONGER. So think about an alternative behaviour that is incompatible with sniffing. Drop? Lie on a bed? And reinforce the living daylights out of it.

• Like 5

Get yourself a cheap whistle & when he is barking blow it hard.  Make sure to blow it while he is barking not when he has stopped.  You need to interrupt the barking behaviour.  Works with my 8 month old

• Like 1

I would also video the dog in the motions off what it does .

Can be easier to show the trainer if not all members are home when they come .

He could be reacting to the reaction of the females ,confusion at the reaction but non the less good for you for seeking help sooner than later.

• Like 2