THE Best Dog food?

donski

I used to cook up my small dog a gourmet home made feast once a month and freeze it and feed it daily.

We now have a mastiff and there’s no way I can keep up such a labour-intensive, freezer-filling indulgence.

Please tell me what the ABSOLUTE best commercially available soft food on the market?  

(No Heath-issues).

Donski, I know you asked for the best commercially made soft food, but won't you consider feeding, instead of you cooking up a home made feed, totally raw?  I find that the best.  If you put down commerially produced and raw in two bowls next to each other, they would discard the produced and go for the fresh.

• Like 2

What do you mean by soft food? I think Nature's Gift is an ok tinned food but no way would I be feeding a mastiff much of that. Is this a pup? If so did the breeder not give you a diet sheet? Such a large breed needs a very good diet. I'd be asking the breeder or other owners about diet.

• Like 1

I've found the Canidae brand is frequently on sale for about $100 for 20kg* at...it was either Best Friends Pet store or PetBarn. On this kibble, I've found I can actually feed my dogs less as they can gain weight quickly on it...which is downright unusual for my dogs! Previously I was feeding assorted high protein high fat diets to help keep the weight on and in excessively large meals. But on Canidar I could actually reduce the amount I gave them, making the bags last longer. I'm very pleased with that, health weight has been a challenge!

And on the side once a week I pass over all the local stores to see if there's any mince meat on sale. Last week I grab 10kg for $15 because the store had ordered too much. Split them into tupperware (I ran out of tupperware haha!) and then I mix them in with the kibbles. This combined with the meats I already had is likely to last about month being mixed into kibble (noting they get lots of pure meatball training treats and dehydrated treats)

Sometimes I grab Black Hawk and Science Diet mobility on a good discount too. My general aim is for 20kg bags at about $90-100, either on sale or through a voucher.

* But one time it was 20kg with an extra 10kg on top for free and I died from delight at that find! $100 for 30kg!!! Wow!

• Like 1