How much does a papillon shed (and other questions :) )

brutus

Hello,
Apologies for posting on here, but the papillon thread appears to be very dead....

I have 2 lovely toy poodles (female spayed), and am considering adding a papillon pup to the mix. I don't have a lot of experience with the breed, but have liked the dogs I have met. My dogs are my world, live indoors, and I do low-level agility and obedience.

Is there anyone that can provide any information on pros and cons of the breed ? I am specifically interested in the reality of how much they shed (as have been very spoilt with only poodles over the past decade).

Thank you !

Edited by brutus

Hopefully a person who's lived with Paps can give some advice about the shedding.   From what I know, from friends' Paps, they're pretty easy care dogs.  I think of them as aa small version of Border Collies .. Teflon coats, pretty easy to keep looking good if you don't let any matts develop, and I suspect hairs they do shed are like BC and cat ones .. they roll up into dust mice, and don't stick in carpet or furniture fabric.  And no need for regular clipping.  I do know they are incredibly smart, agile and trainable dogs who love to work .. or at least the ones I know or know of are.   There's an amazing Pap breeder and competitor in Victoria several of whose pups have gone on to achieve Champion titles in Agility, in Tracking and Track and Search, as well as conformation and obedience and Rally.  They are also extremely good at being lap dogs when required.   From what I know, it's worth asking about possible heart problems and/or luxating patellas.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with Papillon Kisses.  I have Cavaliers which have a similar coat.  Yes the floor has hair on it, as does the furniture, but it is easy to get off.  I have a cordless vacuum that does a great job and use it every second day for a quick zip around to keep on top of it.  This only takes abut 10 minutes.

And if you bath them regularly and use a force dryer to dry the coat, most of the loose stuff is blown out then.

I've owned a Poodle x before and the regular clipping is very time consuming and expensive if you get it done professionally.

• Like 1