Choice of Dog

Orlando

Hi, I'm a passionate dog lover, having had dogs in the family since I was 13 (I'm 62 now). After losing my last dog 12 years ago, I've been waiting for the right time to get another one, based on my changed circumstances. I live alone, in a small block of units, but two minutes walk from the Swan River with acres of parkland for dogs to run around in. I'm looking for advice on which breed I should look for (in the past it was based on the saddest looking eyes at the pound!!) I'm healthy and do a fair bit of exercise; so keeping a dog fit is no problem. I'm looking for a dog that's:

small to medium

not anxious - not prone to separation anxiety
not yappy, and doesn't bark at every sound

intelligent and easy to train, very obedient
preferably not a 'shedder', but that's open to negotiation
fun-loving and sociable
likes to sit with the owner in front of the TV, but not clingy

Can anyone make any suggestions? I do have a soft spot for 'russells', but I don't want my heart to rule my head on this. Thanks, Orlando

If you like the jack russel maybe look at the Griffons. They come in a short coat & wire coat variety. 
also the Affenpinscher although probably a ‘bit more dog’ than the griffons. 

• Like 1

Don’t go Griffon as they are both clingy/Velcro dogs and barkers.

I love the clingy (they are not separation anxiety clingy just can’t go to the toilet alone or sit on the couch without them on you clingy lol) but if you’re not into that kind of thing they are not for you.  Also they are barking at an ant farting type barkers.  They will never bark for the hell of it but they find lots of reasons to bark.

• Like 1

Dogs vary within the breed.  Like, I've had Shelties & in recent years, Tibetan Spaniels.  In one unrelated pair of purebred Shelties,  one never barked and was so excellent in every respect, his nickname was Saint Danny.  The girl, Shelley, had something to say about everything (even a leaf falling!), and her nickname was The Mouth from the South.  She was flighty about everything...as one neighbour said, 'She's so awful, she's loveable'.  Same with the Tibbies (all unrelated purebreds).  Some breed characteristics the same,  but so different in individual personality.  One would alert bark, another was never, ever heard to bark in her 17 1/2 years (no, not debarked).  One was biddable, another would have a strong mind of her own.  Same with coats.  Our Australian-bred Tibbie (Aus Ch) didn't have a dense coat (bit like a Golden Retriever), the Swedish-bred one has a very dense coat.  

Maybe adopting an adult dog from a breeder who knows his/her dogs well, would give an idea of what that dog was maturing into.  Same with a rescue dog who'd been fostered by an astute carer who'd also know the individual personality, behaviour and coat grooming needs well.  Hope your search goes well.  The lucky dog that matches,  would get a great home with you.

Mita, Thanks for the comprehensive response. I know that it's pot luck with pups sometimes, and the only 'half' sure way is to go with an older dog whose been trained etc. Might have to go down that route. Went to a dog pound a week ago, and all they had was big dogs (probably due to trend towards smaller, more manageable breeds). Will try a breeder. Thanks again!

Thanks Alibi for the tip (don't know if this reply will reach you - can't seem to highlight your entry and respond to it directly). Definitely don't want barkers living in close quarters with neighbours. And while clingy sounds cute, I can see it wearing thin very quickly! All the best

4 hours ago, Orlando said:

Went to a dog pound a week ago, and all they had was big dogs (probably due to trend towards smaller, more manageable breeds). Will try a breeder. Thanks again!

https://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/753573?utm_source=petrescue&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=alerts&fbclid=IwAR3djCgIr0jJzzv7zPtr8op_SU6SsTO5Rk4TR_uIZp1nZ96v3u6gs6TvLkc   I don't know if you'd be interested in Buddy, Tibetan Spaniel X, for adoption from SAFE Inc in WA?   He's small, manageable, reported as having a lovely nature, is very true to the breed....including being King of the Teefees (the classic Tibbie underbite).

Hi Mita, thanks for the suggestion. Buddy looks really cute, although I have reservations about starting my life with a new dog with perennial ear infection problems. Also, I can't get a new dog until I return from the north-west in December. However, I'd be happy to get updates from you or anyone regarding rescue dogs. I'll also keep an eye on the website.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if you got a dog yet , But  for mr the ideal dog for you would be a blue heeler ,  fit the match superbly , except they do shed a lot , we have a maltese cross , great companion ,  but is a bit needy and a bit too much of a suck , although getting better , actually chooses to sleep in its bed now rather than wanting to get on ours ,, well to be honest we have been told it could be a Lhapps Apso , which would  be the reason ours is a great watchdog , a suck but he barks only  when theres someone there never yaps ,rest of the time just wants to sit with you or on your lap , loves excercise though ,  ,  If the heeler is too big , go an Aussie Terrier , great personalities , hardy and tough ,   not prone to too many health problems , not to yappy ,, But   the heeler would be my choice ,,  Got one at 12 months old , but gave  him to my son and grandkids , after they looked after him for 6 weeks he fretted for them , that much , we did'nt have the heart to seperate him from  my son and the grandkids ,, best dog i've ever seen