adaptil spray for nervous dog

teddybeans

I just want to see what you guys think about this spray.  My boy is a nervous one.  As he ages, I can see him become more and more nervous at things he is not familiar with which causes him to bark.  I remember using this spray on him when he was little and remember thinking this is a gimmick, and doesn't work.  I didn't even finish using the bottle.  But i don't know, I want to calm him down and I'm wondering whether I should give it a second go, perhaps the formula has changed since he has last tried it.  He has also tried the thunder vest, didn't calm the slightest.

is this for out and about or at home or both? I have to say I never saw much improvement with adaptil sprays but a good friend swears by them. I have used homeopathic remedies with great success - not all but most. I was lucky, my vet was also a qualified homeopath. You could also look at essential oils, a drop or two added to his collar or a bandana. You need to do your research as what may work best and of course not use any that can be harmful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rebanne said:

is this for out and about or at home or both? I have to say I never saw much improvement with adaptil sprays but a good friend swears by them. I have used homeopathic remedies with great success - not all but most. I was lucky, my vet was also a qualified homeopath. You could also look at essential oils, a drop or two added to his collar or a bandana. You need to do your research as what may work best and of course not use any that can be harmful.

Just for at home.  What homeopathic remedies help?  You mean things like lavender oil that has calming effect?

I used to give him dermoscent for his dry skin.  It’s an oil infused with herb fragrance like rosemary.  Didn’t see any calming effect but he smell nice 

I am currently using adaptil spray in the home to help ease the dogs through a great unexpected change and upset...in addition to vet sourced medication (Thistle has recently started prozac long term, while they're both on Zylkene to help through the current stressful changes).

I imagine it as if my dog's upsets were measured along a ruler...adaptil is a couple of centimetres off the stress scale. It helps to make things a bit easier. Zylkene is maybe about 5-10cm while Trazadone (currently not being used) would be a solid 15cm. The prozac not on long enough to measure but is intended for repairing some cracks in my poor broken ruler dog.

I find anything that encourages the dogs to sniff about is a good few more cm decreased. Be it some interesting smells or a rabbit fluff trail, the sniffing activity itself calms the dogs.

I spray the adaptil on their beds and their collars, and sometimes my couch.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, teddybeans said:

Just for at home.  What homeopathic remedies help?  You mean things like lavender oil that has calming effect?

My homeopathic vet made up remedies for me for one particular dog. It was many years ago.  Each remedy is for a particular purpose and the 4 that most fitted the situation were mixed together.

• Like 2

If I had a dog with mild anxiety I would try adaptil, and perhaps zylkene, alongside behaviour modification and environmental management. But it’s unlikely to do anything by itself if your dog is more than just a little anxious. Sometimes people think it does nothing, until they stop using it after a minimum of a month (some vet behaviourists suggest a 3 month trial) and notice a difference, or their dog is prescribed anxiety medication and they see the same. For example a friend’s dog who is medicated for anxiety becomes aggressive again if the diffuser is switched off or runs out, when she first thought it did zilch!

The collar might be more suited to your dog as the spray only lasts a couple of hours. Oh and purchase adaptil from an authorised Australian stockist (not eBay) and keep your receipt as there’s a money back guarantee if it doesn’t help.

Adaptil and zylkene do nothing for my dog even when combined with the whole kit and caboodle. Some dogs just don’t respond to it, but it does have an evidence-base.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 2

As he ages....

Has he had a thorough sight and hearing check? Unfamiliar objects may appear worse if vision is wonky :(

If you live in a big city, seek recommendations for a good homeopathic vet, if all other tests come back as normal. 

Homeopathy  is not essential oils, and  is not anything  you can do by yourself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, persephone said:

Homeopathy  is not essential oils, and  is not anything  you can do by yourself.

Agree, though I got right into the remedies and would make suggestions to my vet and we would discuss them and then decide. And any oils you use has to be the good stuff.

• Like 1

Thanks all.  zylkene has been mentioned a few times, I googled it and it came up as a natural medication?  Is this something I should try, is this a human med or one specifically for dogs?  Do I need a prescription or need to be concerned with side effects?  It says none on the internet.

2 hours ago, persephone said:

As he ages....

Has he had a thorough sight and hearing check? Unfamiliar objects may appear worse if vision is wonky :(

If you live in a big city, seek recommendations for a good homeopathic vet, if all other tests come back as normal. 

I don't think hearing is an issue.  He hears me peal an apple in the kitchen while he is at the back of the yard playing.  Vision I don't think so either, he is not bumping into things but maybe his vision is not 20/20 but and still see shapes and things so explains him not bumping into anything.  May be that needs to be looked at.

• Like 1

The only side effect my vet referenced was combining it with trazadone could result in seratonin toxicity in my dog (basically an overdose).  So I am not giving her the traz for events while we use the zylkene for The Big Change.

I didn't ask about other medication /supplement conflicts, but if your dog is on other supplements or medication you should check in with your vet to make sure they can be combined safely.

I like Perse's idea of getting a vet check to ensure everything is in order and his emerging nervousness isn't being trigger by something physical or internal. You could use it as a chance to ask about potential calming medication and if it would be worth it for you.

• Like 2

Zylkene has been a godsend for my very nervous “rescue” spaniel.  You can buy it on line or at some pet suppliers.  No prescription needed. My vet behaviourist says my boy can have two or three times the dose on the packet if needed.

• Like 2

Thanks all.  He is due for a checkup soon so I’ll ask.  He is currently not on any meds or supplements.

It’s  $40 for 2 weeks worth online.  Any place where I can get it more cheaply.  My boy is 10kg so I was looking at the 75mg version.    Do I have to worry about fakes if getting online?  Also would insurance likely cover part of the cost?

@teddybeans

This lot is on sale.   https://petchemist.com.au/products/zylkene-anxiety-behaviour-capsules.html

ETA:  $27.95 for the 75mg, but not available till mid November. 
           $49.95 for the 225mg, being capsules could you open them and divide them into thirds? 

Plus $6.95 for postage   :)

Edited by Animal House
  • Like 1

thank you everyone

What am I to expect after giving it?  Would he be drowsy or just calmer?  How quickly do i see the results?

All the 75 mg (from both websites above) is out of stock.  Can i get the 225mg and half it as suggested by @Animal House?

Edited by teddybeans

I did not see anything dramatic, just a gradual calming down and a reduced reaction to the world at large. He can still be “spooky”, but comes round quicker and does not hide in his crate all the time.

Edited by JRG
Additional info
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, teddybeans said:

Been on this (zylkene) for about a week now, not a slightest change - not even subtly.  Is it too early to conclude it doesn’t work on my boy?

Our VB gave us a 7 or 10 day trial, so I’m guessing you can probably call it now.

Has he had that checkup you mentioned? Make sure they don’t skimp on the exam. Ask for bloods. Some vets refer to it as a senior wellness panel.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 2