Snook

Daschund Killed in Park in Pakenham, VIC

33 posts in this topic

Snook   

Last night and this morning I saw a post doing the rounds on Facebook, from a woman whose daschund was killed by another dog in a Pakenham park. There were photos of the other dog's face covered in blood and a photo of the deceased daschund (the photos are in the articles I'll link but I won't put them in this post as they may cause distress). The woman was claiming her dog was killed unprovoked and that the other owner did nothing and just walked off afterwards. The story today is a bit different and different news sites have different info, so I'll copy two I've seen and post the links in case people do want to see photos or CCTV footage. No dog deserves to pay with it's life for its owners mistakes but I've honestly lost count of the number of times I've called out to people with an off leash dog next to them and asked them to please not let their dog approach us and told them my dog isn't friendly, and they do nothing to leash their dog and can't recall or control them when they then take off and rush us. These people have no idea my dog is actually terrified and will shut down or try to escape, rather than attack their dog, yet it still happens over and over and over again. One day they may be in the same heartbreaking and traumatising position as the owner of this daschund, if they do it to the wrong dog. I think that if it's known that a dog will seriously attack any dog that approaches, it should be muzzled in public since there will always be idiots who let their dog run over, but at the same time, I don't think I can blame a dog set on by three unknown dogs for defending itself to the death, assuming that this is in fact what happened. It's an awful situation for everyone involved and we're yet to see if it ends in the death of two dogs, rather than one. 

"Pakenham Dachshund dog owner Kashila speaks about mauling

The owner of a Dachshund mauled to death on a Melbourne walking track said she has been left traumatised.

Kashila Chintamunnee said her father opened the gate to their Pakenham property about 11am on Tuesday and their three dogs ran toward the park.

She said her father and sister reached the park moments later to find a white Staffy "already on Coco, straight around the neck".

"It was a good 10 minutes that the dog would not let go of ours," Chintamunnee told 7NEWS.

"I ran up straight away and saw the dog and was really frightened of it. I could not stand there and watch."

The young woman said she eventually managed to pull the Staffy off Coco, claiming the other dog owner stood there "looking frightened".

"We were in panic mode. All you think about is your little baby who is dying in your arms," Chintamunnee said.

Chintamunnee said her father approached the Staffy owner to ask for details and claimed she then walked off and "washed her dog in the lake".

The family was seen laying floral tributes for Coco near their home on Wednesday morning.

Graphic photos shared on social media overnight show dried blood on the footpath and the Staffy with a red face and paws.

On Tuesday night, the Staffy owner's husband told 7NEWS.com.au there was another side to the story.

He said his wife and four-year-old son were walking the Staffy when a trio of dogs "came from behind and started to attack".

He says the three dogs - two Dachshunds and a Labrador - were all off their leashes and were aggressive.

Chintamunnee says she has contacted police and the local council.

Victoria Police say the council handles all dog-on-dog violence.

7NEWS.com.au has contacted Cardinia Shire Council for comment."

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/pets/pakenham-dachshund-dog-owner-kashila-speaks-about-mauling-c-542679?fbclid=IwAR2523AsNwV6OeyN5iKCZUkiYtG1jT0_nwlJUFhaktWB0jTpKuzzjicTDSI

"CCTV Footage Reveals What Happened During Vicious Dog Mauling

A woman was left covered in the blood of her own dog after what she claims was a violent dog attack.

Kashila Chintamunnee claims she was walking her Dachshund Coco in Pakenham, southeast of Melbourne on Tuesday morning when she said another dog attacked hers.

But CCTV footage seen by 10 News First appears to show Chintamunnee with three unleashed dogs before the attack.

It appears Chintamunnee's three dogs raced towards another woman, her child and her Staffy who was in a harness.

The woman quickly grabbed her son and jumped onto a picnic table to avoid the oncoming dogs. At this point, the Staffy fought back against the trio, eventually mauling a Dachshund to death.

In the aftermath of the incident, Chintamunnee shared a series of images on Facebook. She seemed determined to find the owner the Staffy who killed her Coco, claiming that the woman and her child simply "walked away" after the attack.

In the images, blood appeared to be smeared on the footpath and covered the Staffy.

"Hi girls does anybody know this lady from Pakenham area her dog mauled my dog to death today at 11:00am and walked away. If anybody has any information regarding to her please let me know ASAP," Chintamunnee wrote on Facebook following the incident.

There were also images of Chintamunnee, who appeared covered in the blood of her now deceased dog. Blood drenched her dress and covered her arms.

10 daily understands the woman whose dog attacked the dachshund will speak to Cardinia Council on Wednesday and will seek legal advice regarding the incident.

Chintamunnee also said on Facebook that she has contacted both Victoria Police and the Cardinia Council for assistance.

Both Kashila Chintamunnee and the woman accused of being involved in the apparent attack have been contacted for comment.

10 daily has contacted Cardinia Council for comment on the incident. Victoria Police are directing inquiries related to the attack to Cardinia Council. Police have said it is a council matter."

https://10daily.com.au/news/australia/a191105mtxqk/dog-mauled-to-death-in-vicious-daytime-attack-20191105?fbclid=IwAR10KYFRsLe0MTDPrwZZ2w4xMbxBPYKxYfUk0wlkNLAeCoBFi3pJ5CQWEbs

Diva   

I’m pretty sick of off-leash  dogs rushing mine on-lead so I don’t have much sympathy for the girl who is complaining. Horrible and shocking to lose a dog like that but she is far from blameless. It’s a great thing that cctv captured it all. 

If the owner of the leashed dog was frightened enough to jump onto the picnic table with her child that dog would have felt the anxiety too. Maybe he thought he was defending his family. But a dog that kills so readily probably shouldn’t be put in that position. Maybe she didn’t know that about him. 

Stupid owner or owners. Or maybe a stupid preventable accident on one side or both. Dogs pay the price. Same as always. 

Edited by Diva
  • Like 3

Highly aware of this. So horrible for both parties. Two mistakes colliding and a whole lot of wrong time wrong place. I think therapy would benefit them all. Especially the kid, I hope his school has a good councillor. There’s no way someone in his grade won’t know about it, the staffy owners are all over the media. I think the coco owner will need serious help too, she was really trying to stop it. That’s heartbreaking. 

For me it had made solid. I’m going to keep walking T1 muzzled. She’s big enough she could do serious damage in one bite to someone’s escaped dog. I’ve no wish for any dog to be hurt by her, especially an escapee!. It’s for her own protection and others that I muzzle her. And she’s nowhere near as intense/focussed as that dog. Just big and reactive. 

So horrible. 

I watched the CCTV video on mute. Here is my attempt at a write up for those who can’t watch it. It’s really sad to watch even though in the distance.

- - -

The CCTV video (10 news ?) I saw starts when the fight is already going. It doesn’t show the start of the fight or the end. Just a long snippet of the middle. 

It starts with owner, child and the dog (dogs?) fighting all in one spot. It's kind of behind the table so a bit hard to see all.

Coco Owner (?)is  there trying to get the dogs apart/off via punching/hitting. The yellow thing (golden? lab?) is just running circles around. I cannot see the third dog.

Stuffy Owner and child walk slowly about 5 metres away, then turn to watch. (15 secondish in). I believe child is being hugged. 

Then stuffy Owner and child slowly walk BACK and she puts the child on a table. (30 secondish in). 

The staffie at this moment is dragging Coco all over. The golden lab thing is just standing there and occasionally running about / in. I cannot see the third dog.

For the next full minute this is how it goes, with the child standing on the table while staffy owner stands there and watches.

The staffy owner then walks around the attack to the other side. (1 min 35ish). She then stands there. She MIGHT be trying to clap? Unclear. She returns to standing still. The child is still on the table watching. 

1min 47 a car pulls up and a person comes running towards them all. the lab thing has wandered off and is just standing 10ish m away near the child. (Stuffy owner is still standing separate from her child and the attack.)

2mins another person is running over to help. 

There are now multiple people hitting/kicking the dog which is still going at it.

Staffy Owner is standing behind (it is a slightly raised embarkment? A bench?. Child is standing on the table still.

It cuts out at this moment at 2 mins 26 into the attack.

There's no info provided for how much longer it goes after this.

a lot of it is obscured by the park shelter so it’s hard to see. 

Edited by Two Best Dogs!
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Snook   

What I saw on the CCTV footage that was shown on the news this afternoon was the owner of the staffy walking it across the park on leash with her child. Then a Labrador runs across the park approaching the staffy from behind, following by the two daschunds. I couldn't see much of the actual fight with seats etc in the way, and then it cut to the owners of the three dogs pulling up in a car and one of them running over to the fight as the other walks over more slowly. It's interesting that the owner of the poor dog who was killed lied about what happened yesterday and said she was walking her dog when it was attacked by the staffy, then changed her story after the CCTV footage came out today, and after plastering photos of the staffy and its owner all over Facebook for more than 12 hours, which has apparently resulted in the staffy owner receiving threats. 

Edited by Snook
  • Like 3

How come the videos we see are so different? Are they different cameras? All the ones I’ve seen snippets of are from the same 2 mins 45 seconds where it’s already underway. The one I saw is the same one in the link you share. 

I doubt the owner was expecting her post to go viral versus getting contact details. Just last week was a similar post from an onlead dog biting a kid who required surgery. The owner didn’t leave details so they went to Facebook. Im

not sure they’ve found that person. 

I do sympathise with the staffy owner for the challenges presented by offlead dogs, it’s frustrating! But I also greatly sympathise with the owner trying to break up the fight on her own and having the owner leave without exchanging details after her dog causes serious injury. That’s traumatic. This is a super serious incident. 

Definitely a reminder for us - even if we are doing the right thing - if shit goes south and another dog is injured. Exchange details and THEN go to council, so a Facebook post isn’t needed to be made. Bit like a car accident really. 

Edited by Two Best Dogs!

dididog   

It sounds like if the owner of the dachshund pulled up in a car that maybe her dogs got loose? Which depending on the circumstances on how that happened isn't really her fault per say. *edit just saw in the dachshund owners reportof events the dogs were inadvertently let out of the yard which checks out with the pulling up in a car part of the cctv*

Regardless, a dog that will kill another dog that is not a huge threat to it (you can punt a dachshund with your foot) should be muzzled in public because accidents happen. People drop leashes, dogs slip their collars, slip out of cars, get out of yards etc. You can never guarantee that you won't ever come across a loose dog. And even if the dog is being illegally walked off leash, it doesn't deserve to die in such a traumatic way. 

It sounds like it was a sustained attack where for the most part the staffys owner and the staffy werent in real harm of being attacked. Imo as soon as it became clear it was a one dog fight, the other owner was risking their own safety to save their dog and your dog is relentlessly mauling another dog? That's not a fair retaliation and your dog is not under your control.

If this was a child that had ran up to pat a dog without asking (which is irresponsible of the parent) and been ripped to shreds we'd hardly be debating who is in the right. The facts are the dog displayed an unwarranted degree of aggression, its owner did not assist or control the dog and it sounds like from what I've read the staffy was known to be dog aggressive so should've been muzzled anyway. I have little sympathy for the staffys owner if the dog was known to be DA and given how they handled the situation and really don't care under what circumstances the dachshund was loose. It didn't deserve to die, even if being irresponsible the owner didnt deserve for their dog to be killed like that and the staffys owner should've been just as in control of their animal as everyone is chastising the dachshund owner. Just because your dog has a leash attached to its collar does not mean its under effevtive control.

And this is coming from someone who walks a muzzled dog. Not because she's bitten anybody but just because I know she doesn't like dogs getting in her face and I'd really rather not roll the dice. No matter how annoying it is to have other people ruin our walks by letting their dogs offleash where they shouldn't I would never forgive myself if my dog seriously injured or killed another dog. It's not a major imposition to muzzle your dog and you can't just rely on keeping your dog on a leash as being effective control if you suspect it's capable of extreme aggression to dogs or humans.

Edited by dididog

Rebanne   

Dachies were bred for going to ground, to hunt and kill. Tenacious little dogs. I'd have let the staffy go as well and protect my child first and foremost. Once child was safe I wouldn't be wading into a dog fight with 4 dogs. I also wouldn't have left my details with the dead dogs owners. I can imagine the carry on by them (cause I would be hysterical if it was me). I'd have been trying to get my child away from the horror and also want to check my own dog for injuries.

And one final thing, yes the staffy obviously did fight back but which dog actually inflicted the killing bite? The other dachie or the large white crossbred (didn't look like a lab to me) could have easily fatally bitten the dead dog as well.

I've read the owner of the staffy put the dog down, no idea if it's true

• Like 4

dididog   
1 hour ago, Rebanne said:

Dachies were bred for going to ground, to hunt and kill. Tenacious little dogs. I'd have let the staffy go as well and protect my child first and foremost. Once child was safe I wouldn't be wading into a dog fight with 4 dogs. I also wouldn't have left my details with the dead dogs owners. I can imagine the carry on by them (cause I would be hysterical if it was me). I'd have been trying to get my child away from the horror and also want to check my own dog for injuries.

And one final thing, yes the staffy obviously did fight back but which dog actually inflicted the killing bite? The other dachie or the large white crossbred (didn't look like a lab to me) could have easily fatally bitten the dead dog as well.

I've read the owner of the staffy put the dog down, no idea if it's true

See, I don't think it was a four dog fight considering there is no mention of any of the other dogs including the staffy suffering injuries which you'd think either party would want to mention to make their cause appear more sympathetic?

I reckon the 3 dogs aggressively rushed the staffy family, mum's dropped the leash and the staffy has grabbed the first dog it could and the others have bounced around on the sideline. I could understand trying to protect your child but in the cctv she walks her child away from the fight and then brings him back there to stand right next to the dogs for over a minute. Why would you do that if you genuinely thought you were in danger of being attacked? The child looked late primary school age too so perfectly capable of being left a safe distance away. 

And the moment the dachshunds owners showed up and gained control of their other dogs and had to try and get the staffy off their probably already dead dog and risk getting bitten the staffy owner should've intervened as they weren't at risk of being injured and were letting things go well beyond reasonable defense.

I feel bad that this has been made so public as it should only be a matter between both parties and council to resolve but I read the original fb post very shortly after it happened and the dachshund owner really just wanted to know who the woman was to report to council and posted it to her own fb and her friends proceeded to share it. That wouldn't have happened if the staffy owner gave their details and if the staffy owner really was the victim surely you'd want the other dogs details too? I will be interested to hear what the council says as I suspect the staffy probably has a history which is why the woman didn't stick around.

Just because the dachshund was in the wrong doesn't mean the woman's behaviour and lack of control of her dog after the intial threat was over was okay. If someone runs a red light and nearly hits you, then crashes their car and you are the only person around, you still have to assist that person! You don't get to just drive off or stand there waiting to see how the situation resolves itself just because they caused their own accident.

• Like 1

Rebanne   

There is very clear video showing the 3 loose dogs attacking the staffy. I found it on FB on Sydney's Nine news.

Who knows what was being said by the dead dogs people, staffy owner might not have felt safe staying there.

• Like 1

dididog   
11 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

There is very clear video showing the 3 loose dogs attacking the staffy. I found it on FB on Sydney's Nine news.

Who knows what was being said by the dead dogs people, staffy owner might not have felt safe staying there.

Yes I've seen that video, I don't think it's clear at all whats happening other than the 3 dogs rushing the staffy and some commotion occuring behind a partition. Given the staffy and lab mix are the same colour and you can't see anything other than a white blur jerking around it's hard to tell what happened and when. I guess it doesn't really matter at the end of the day to anyone but the people involved.

But I don't agree with the sentiment of a lot of comments I've seen around that this case has sputted of people thinking that its okay to walk aggressive dogs unmuzzled and that any loose dog deserves to be attacked/the leashed dog's owner is faultless because the loose dog is 'in the wrong'.

• Like 1

Snook   
5 hours ago, Two Best Dogs! said:

How come the videos we see are so different? Are they different cameras? All the ones I’ve seen snippets of are from the same 2 mins 45 seconds where it’s already underway. The one I saw is the same one in the link you share. 

I doubt the owner was expecting her post to go viral versus getting contact details. Just last week was a similar post from an onlead dog biting a kid who required surgery. The owner didn’t leave details so they went to Facebook. Im

not sure they’ve found that person. 

I do sympathise with the staffy owner for the challenges presented by offlead dogs, it’s frustrating! But I also greatly sympathise with the owner trying to break up the fight on her own and having the owner leave without exchanging details after her dog causes serious injury. That’s traumatic. This is a super serious incident. 

Definitely a reminder for us - even if we are doing the right thing - if shit goes south and another dog is injured. Exchange details and THEN go to council, so a Facebook post isn’t needed to be made. Bit like a car accident really. 

Maybe different networks are showing different parts of the same video? The clip shown on the news seemed to be the same angle as the other footage, at least to me. 

The owner of the daschund made her post public and asked people to share it. She also made it sound like she had been walking her dog when the staffy attacked. At no time she indicate that her dogs were loose and unsupervised or that she didn't see how it started and only arrived once it was under way. On another news clip I saw after I posted this thread, she was being interviewed and said she heard the screams at the park from her home and that's when she knew something was wrong and they raced down there. That also conflicts with her second version of events that said her dad accidentally let the dogs out and they went after them. They can't have been following too close behind if they were still at home when the fight started. 

I know that when Justice and I got blindsided by an attack from another staffy that was tied up behind a sandwich board, I went in to shock and couldn't get my body to do any of the things my head was telling me to do and I was very muddled afterwards. I didn't even realise the owner of the other dog had tied his dog back up and left it again until we were about to leave that way and a woman who had been comforting me pointed out that the dog was in our path and unattended. I can completely understand if the owner of the staffy also felt blindsided with the three other dogs coming from behind and couldn't think clearly about what to do in the moment. 

Also, the owner of the dachshund wasn't trying to break the fight up on her own. Her husband (?) ran out of the car ahead of her to the dogs and she walked up after him. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been terrifying or traumatic anyway but she wasn't alone. 

Edited by Snook

Snook   
2 hours ago, dididog said:

See, I don't think it was a four dog fight considering there is no mention of any of the other dogs including the staffy suffering injuries which you'd think either party would want to mention to make their cause appear more sympathetic?

I reckon the 3 dogs aggressively rushed the staffy family, mum's dropped the leash and the staffy has grabbed the first dog it could and the others have bounced around on the sideline. I could understand trying to protect your child but in the cctv she walks her child away from the fight and then brings him back there to stand right next to the dogs for over a minute. Why would you do that if you genuinely thought you were in danger of being attacked? The child looked late primary school age too so perfectly capable of being left a safe distance away. 

And the moment the dachshunds owners showed up and gained control of their other dogs and had to try and get the staffy off their probably already dead dog and risk getting bitten the staffy owner should've intervened as they weren't at risk of being injured and were letting things go well beyond reasonable defense.

I feel bad that this has been made so public as it should only be a matter between both parties and council to resolve but I read the original fb post very shortly after it happened and the dachshund owner really just wanted to know who the woman was to report to council and posted it to her own fb and her friends proceeded to share it. That wouldn't have happened if the staffy owner gave their details and if the staffy owner really was the victim surely you'd want the other dogs details too? I will be interested to hear what the council says as I suspect the staffy probably has a history which is why the woman didn't stick around.

Just because the dachshund was in the wrong doesn't mean the woman's behaviour and lack of control of her dog after the intial threat was over was okay. If someone runs a red light and nearly hits you, then crashes their car and you are the only person around, you still have to assist that person! You don't get to just drive off or stand there waiting to see how the situation resolves itself just because they caused their own accident.

It might not have been all four dogs in the thick of the fight but I don't think it's unreasonable for a dog to feel threatened by three dogs rushing it from behind and attack in response. Do I think it's okay that the daschund was injured then killed? No, of course not, but I understand how it happened. It's easy to say now that the reaction by the staff was excessive and disproportionate but you can't expect a dog to weight that up in the moment when faced with three unknown dogs. 

Obviously I don't know what the owner of the staffy was thinking or the reasoning behind her behaviour during the fight but as I replied to Two Best Dogs, she may well have been in shock and not thinking clearly given that they were all rushed from behind. You probably would have thought I was an hysterical idiot doing nothing to help my dog or break up the fight when he was being attacked, as no doubt that's what I looked like, but I couldn't get my body to cooperate with my brain. I didn't actually really believe that happens until I experienced it, so I'm wary of judging someone else's reaction to a similar situation. I understand from news reports that the child was 6 years old, so not really old enough to be expected to stay out of the way of dogs fighting. The owner of the staffy may have been getting abused by the other owners for killing their dog and or want to give them her address, or she may have just been freaking out so much that she didn't think through leaving her details at the time. We don't know that the dog has a history and the comments suggesting that were started on the page of the daschund owner, so I'm not sure how much credit I'd give them without more information. As for the post by the daschund owner, she made it public and asked people to share it, as well as ensuring it sounded like she'd been walking her dog at the time.. at least until the CCTV footage came out showing her dogs were loose and unattended. 

2 hours ago, dididog said:

Yes I've seen that video, I don't think it's clear at all whats happening other than the 3 dogs rushing the staffy and some commotion occuring behind a partition. Given the staffy and lab mix are the same colour and you can't see anything other than a white blur jerking around it's hard to tell what happened and when. I guess it doesn't really matter at the end of the day to anyone but the people involved.

But I don't agree with the sentiment of a lot of comments I've seen around that this case has sputted of people thinking that its okay to walk aggressive dogs unmuzzled and that any loose dog deserves to be attacked/the leashed dog's owner is faultless because the loose dog is 'in the wrong'.

I agree that it's absolutely not okay to walk dogs unmuzzled if they are known to be aggressive to the point of trying to injure or kill other dogs if they approach. No dog deserves to attacked or killed just because their owner is irresponsible and allows them to run up to other dogs. That being said, dog owners also need to take a hell of a lot more responsibility than many of them do, when it comes to their dog's behaviour and respecting other dogs and owners. 

Edited by Snook

moosmum   

Terrible for all concerned. Poor people. Poor Dogs. 

I won't speculate as to what was going on. Or through peoples heads. It would have been extremely traumatic for every one and its not clear what was happening or how it started from the bits I've seen.

I do think that screaming, frightened child/owners and multiple unknown dogs in the confusion makes it a lot more more complicated than a fight between 2 dogs with the victor going beyond  'acceptable' defence. 

A lot of mistakes made for sure, by all parties but without knowing full facts, the only one clear to me  is 3 unattended dogs.

The owners have paid a horrible price for that. 

And I hope who ever is in charge of investigating this is very well versed in canine behaviour and psychology because even the owners of the Staffy are likely to view that dog with a measure of horror now, that may or may not be deserved.

Edited by moosmum
  • Like 3

I expect the owner of the daschund is in shock as well. Is it any wonder she’s all mixed up on media? The original post I saw did just seem person wanting the details of the person who’s dog killed hers and was listed only an hour or two after the death had happened, so very fresh. I think that is fair enough for her to want explanations and contacts. I’m glad the other owners provided that at least before it went all viral. 

It is similar in the staffy owner claims in one article she was attempting to split the dogs up, but in the recording all I see is a person dropping a lead and walking away. To wait it out? From in shock? Brain has flat lined? Who knows. I expect her memory is muddled up as well. Even though it’s been a day, a lot of brains have been rattled about. 

Its definitely not some 100% black and white blame game of who has sole responsibility. It is some shit luck of dogs getting out and approaching the wrong dog. Shit luck of walking your aggressive dog at the wrong time in the wrong place.

It could have been prevented by better gate management. It could have been prevented by wearing a muzzle. If they had walked past 5 mins earlier or 5 mins later they may never have met without anyone the wiser.

But it didn’t and multiple people have been left traumatised and at least one dog dead, possibly two. 

It highlights the importance of confinement so your dogs don’t harass other dogs.

It also highlights that if you are walking a dog who might over react - shit happens and you might get approached by offlead dogs for a multitude of reasons  - a muzzle prevents fights much better than a lead you can drop willingly or not. It has a much better chance of staying on.

But think most of all it highlights. You cannot trust in a city environment for every dog to remain on lead. People make mistakes and there are careless people. The dog can’t tell the difference. 

It is a hard lesson I have learned at that is why T1 is muzzled. I have seen people drop leads, trip over, have dogs hop out of car windows, do door runners and down the street. I saw a whippet escape a caravan and go for a freedom run at a dog event.  I personally can not control those and it’s frusttating and sucks. But I can control my dog of which the muzzle comes first, lead second, all that fancy ass training comes third. I hope reading this makes other owners of reactive and potentially dangerous dogs rethink their lack of muzzle but going by commentary on Facebook I’m doubtful. It’s much easier to expect every dog to remain constantly under control than to muzzle train their dog - even though this situation shows how quickly control is lost in a second. 

(And they all need to get some therapy, seriously. Especially the kid. Someone to help walk them through the bits that lay with them and the bits out of their control. Also both families have kids and this has been huge in the news. I worry about the kids being bullied on either “”side”””)

Edited by Two Best Dogs!
  • Like 1

Rebanne   

love the assumption that the staffy was aggressive and should have been walked in a muzzle.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Snook   
3 hours ago, tdierikx said:

More mixed stories.. How did they open the gate and their dog just went for a sniff hello and was attacked in response, when the dogs had bolted and the owner was far enough away from the dogs when they raced up to the staffy, that they had to get there by car? I get being muddled and confused and in shock but I'm not sure how you get so muddled that you think your dog was sniffing another dog outside your gate, when they were down the street and across a park and completely out of sight? 

1 hour ago, Rebanne said:

love the assumption that the staffy was aggressive and should have been walked in a muzzle.

Yes. I'm yet to see anything that confirms that the dog was known to be aggressive. The only thing I'm aware of is that the owner if the staffy had apparently previously said in a Facebook group that her dog isn't good with other dogs. I say the exact same thing about Justice. It's not evidence that the dog is known to seriously injure or kill dogs that run up to it. 

• Like 2

Rebanne   
1 hour ago, Snook said:

Yes. I'm yet to see anything that confirms that the dog was known to be aggressive. The only thing I'm aware of is that the owner if the staffy had apparently previously said in a Facebook group that her dog isn't good with other dogs. I say the exact same thing about Justice. It's not evidence that the dog is known to seriously injure or kill dogs that run up to it. 

and what was said was "one of her dogs" and was two? years ago when she had found a stray and couldn't keep it at her place. I've owned more then one dog who didn't appreciate strange dogs in their face and that's fine with me.

• Like 3

asal   

it amazes me how little people really know or understand the nature of dogs.

I see so many saying the only cruel race is the human race.

the only difference is a human is taught manners and responsibility and knows the difference between right and wrong. The human version of right and wrong, that is.

a dog has no much problems, if two dogs have a disagreement it can and on some occasions will kill the other, happens even faster if there are three or more in the equation... and they all come running with wagging tails when you get home as they have no conception they have done anything wrong...

Even the sweet, lovable Cavalier King Charles will kill.  Snakes, lizards. one lady's figured how to open her aviary and killed every bird in it.

another had four, came home to find one dead and the unmistakable bites all over her.. all were females and the remaining three comforted her in her grief.

Fact, but everyone either consciously or unconsciously  anthropomorphizes.

"Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human traits, emotions, or intentions to non-human entities.[1] It is considered to be an innate tendency of human psychology.[2]

Personification is the related attribution of human form and characteristics to abstract concepts such as nations, emotions, and natural forces, such as seasons and weather.

Both have ancient roots as storytelling and artistic devices, and most cultures have traditional fables with anthropomorphized animals as characters. People have also routinely attributed human emotions and behavioral traits to wild as well as domesticated animals.[3]"

their pets.

they live in a very different world to what you attribute to them.

they may be your fur child, but they have very different rules mentally.

What happened is so tragic , but it is going to continue.

By the story neither family had a clue how to stop the fight. 

That it continued for so long shows that.

So sad for both families.

Edited by asal
  • Like 3