Snook

Daschund Killed in Park in Pakenham, VIC

33 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, asal said:

another had four, came home to find one dead and the unmistakable bites all over her.. all were females and the remaining three comforted her in her grief.

Over two decades ago now, but my vet at the time told me about how he’d boarded four Maltese dogs.  The owners insisted they all be in a run together.  He came in one morning and one had been mauled to death by the others.    

(I haven’t read the stories regarding the attack. )

• Sad 2

I think a dangerous dog classifier would be enough, provided the owner is capable of following it, as this dog has proven it will over-react lethally and she has shown she is not able to control it when it does. That is a genuinely dangerous combination to have.

It would be less sad to only have one dog lost this week, rather than two.

• Like 3

JulesP   

A bit hard to control your dog when other dogs are attacking it and yours is on lead! Even if she hadn't dropped the lead the dogs would probably have kept coming at her dog. It is quite hard to hang on to a lead when your dog is being attacked btw!!  I've been knocked over before and am currently nursing a sore knee thanks to an off lead out of control dog! Luckily for it my dogs don't bite, although if they did bite this dog I wouldn't blame them as it has jumped on their heads a couple of times now!

I don't think the dachie was actually mauled either, not looking at the photos of it after the attack. Just a bite in the wrong spot. So not sure I agree that the staffy over reacted. 

Walking the dog in a muzzle would be a good idea though. 

• Like 3

I know what it's like to be attacked Jules, I've been on both sides of that. It's scary and chaotic :(

It's her inaction that has me concerned as to her ability to control the dog. She left her kid on one table to go walk over closer to the fight and stood there for a full minute. The bigger dog had wandered off by then to be near her kid,  but she still just stood there. I am hoping she was in shock or trying to stop them verbally and I can understand that and I'm sympathetic, but it gives me no confidence in her ability to continue to walk him. Especially now that she has been through this, I would expect her to be even less able to handle such. I know I've struggled to recover from those fears, it's why I think therapy would be good for all who were present.

I call it an over-reaction because of how long this went for and the locations of the bites. Neck bites are a dog meaning business. The duration it went for is also concerning. Combined... :(

Provided staffy isn't PTS, and if she keeps walking him...there will be other offlead dogs. He might even be the offlead dog because she trips or drops the lead or any multitude of reasons a dog gets loose.  So I would definitely like to see that muzzle be mandatory, maybe some classes to help her and the dog to work through this.

I don't think anyone needs fines or the like. There's been punishment enough through experiencing this and one dog dying.

Edited by Two Best Dogs!
editing some words to make better sense, doh!

It's an unfortunate situation but the owner of the Dachy needs to take responsibility. Hers was the dog that was loose and causing chaos, she's responsible. Further, obviously the lady has a young child, if she thinks that her child is at risk by the presence of this dog then that comes first, if she has to let go of her dog to protect the child then so be it. 

• Like 7

Teebs   
18 hours ago, Zhou Xuanyao said:

It's an unfortunate situation but the owner of the Dachy needs to take responsibility. Hers was the dog that was loose and causing chaos, she's responsible. Further, obviously the lady has a young child, if she thinks that her child is at risk by the presence of this dog then that comes first, if she has to let go of her dog to protect the child then so be it. 

Agree 100%

My kids come first, I'm a very savvy dog owner, and have had to split up a few dog fights... The very first thing I would do would be drop that lead and make sure my kids (and any other kids) were safe. 

I also would not jump in unless I could see an opening. 

This so easily could have been me, kaos was so dog aggressive, and I had people often let their dogs run up to her.

I read the dogs got out of the yard and it was an accident. Yes. But they are still at fault. 

If my dog got out and was killed in any way, I would take full responsibility. 

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 3

juice   

In her first response the dashy owner said she was walking her dog and the staffy attacked it, blatant lie!

She said on camera her dad let the dogs out and she heard the commotion from inside the house, why was she still inside when the dogs were out? id like to know if its a regular thing that they let their dogs out unattended.

3 dogs belting upto the staffy, and it reacted, smaller dog came off worse, it would have been heightened by the other 2 dogs circling aswell.

If the staffy was known to be aggressive, yes it should have been muzzled, but it was the owner of the dashy that caused it all, her fault her dog died.

• Like 2

tdierikx   

It is all so easy for strangers on the internet to allocate "blame" or "responsibility" for incidents like this after the fact and without knowing the exact or true facts of what happened... all we have here is some grainy (and edited) footage that really doesn't show enough line of sight or detail to really see what was going on, and changing stories about what happened directly prior to the incident by the owner of the Dachshund. The staffy owner's version of events does not appear to have changed at all in any of the circulating media stories...

I'm thinking that both dog owners have learned something about their own dogs that is most unpleasant... and in the case of the Dachshund, tragic...

I'd be loathe to make any judgements one way or the other solely based on what "facts" have been presented in the media... but I do feel for both families involved.

T.

• Thanks 1

I also feel for both owners but the first thing I saw was a picture of that blood soaked stafford and allegations that it had simply killed the dachshund for no reason. The next day I skeptically looked at the petition from the stafford's family and heard a very different story. Like everything the truth will lie somewhere between both 'stories'.

I've experienced a couple of 2 dog fights so can't imagine what a 4 dog fight would be like on your adrenalin and decision making skills. Even worse having a child with me I'm sure I would become immobolised like I was in a nightmare. It's not a normal situation to be in. But this started because 3 loose dogs in a heightened state approached a calmly leashed dog (with it's family). But for that this never would've happened. Both families are forever changed by this avoidable situation. I hope the dachsund's family improve their fencing and get some recall and behavioural training for their remaining dogs.  I suspect the stafford will need to at least be wearing a muzzle in public. I'd also be getting a full behavioural assessment done on it so they know the dog they now have. No winners here but a definate catalyst point. Nothing will be gained or learnt from killing another dog.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Snook   

I'm pleased to read today that the council have decided the staff was not to blame and will not be euthanise. They have ended the investigation. I'm assuming no charges will brought against the owner of the dachshund either and that the death of her dog is considered punishment enough. 

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/pets/hero-the-staffy-saved-from-being-put-down-after-mauling-of-dachshund-c-565288

• Like 4

That is excellent news Snook! Absolutely nothing would be gained from euthanising that staffy. Horrific experience for all involved. I hope the dachschund's family have learnt some important lessons here.

• Like 3