Food suggestions needed for 14 yr old Crestie

Can anyone recommend wet/dry food for my Madeline? She's a desexed Chinese Crested, nearly 14, she has high blood pressure, kidney disease and is prone to pancreatitis.  She needs a fat content of under 10% but most of the kidney diets I've looked into have a high fat content, so they're not good for her pancreatitis. For kidneys she needs she needs good quality protein but not too high, low phosphorus and low salt. 

Jo, a couple of weeks ago I was collecting meds from the vet and going on about how desperate I was becoming for Jeune.  The vet nurse suggested Royal Canin Recovery because it can be syringed.  I tried a can and have since bought more.  I make it a little bit more syringe friendly by mixing in home made beef broth.  I also give Jeune 1/4 periactin tablet (on vet’s advice).  Jeune seems to really enjoy the Recovery and I give her a few syringe  fulls throughout the day.  The fat content is 6.2, so that seems to be very low.  

17 minutes ago, Loving my Oldies said:

Jo, a couple of weeks ago I was collecting meds from the vet and going on about how desperate I was becoming for Jeune.  The vet nurse suggested Royal Canin Recovery because it can be syringed.  I tried a can and have since bought more.  I make it a little bit more syringe friendly by mixing in home made beef broth.  I also give Jeune 1/4 periactin tablet (on vet’s advice).  Jeune seems to really enjoy the Recovery and I give her a few syringe  fulls throughout the day.  The fat content is 6.2, so that seems to be very low.  

I'm glad you've found a food that's working for your Jeune LMO :)   It's such a worry trying to find the right fit for them. I've emailed the company for more info as I can't find all the nutritional info I need online. Fortunately, since being on Gabapentin Maddie's appetite is very good so at least I don't have the worry about her eating, it's more about making sure she has the right foods to suit her needs. xx

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

This article outlines the concepts. 

https://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2016/05/my-pet-has-kidney-disease-what-kind-of-diet-should-i-feed/

Long ago I had a vet recommended making a kidney friendly food from rice, lean meat or fish, and supplements (I can't remember which ones). Perhaps your vet can give you suggestions. 

Thank you Sandgrubber :)  I've researched so many kidney sites! This one looks familiar so I'm pretty sure I've been on this one too lol. The problem I'm having is finding a diet/food program that's low in fat, along with the requirements for a safe kidney diet. My vet has only recommended Hills or Royal Canin but they're far too high in fat. He's happy for me to look into alternatives that cover all the bases. 

Jo, a long time ago I had a little dog diagnosed with [having a senior moment and can’t remember the ** “itis” :(:(].  I kept her well and happy on the diet my vet suggested.

One third each of i/d canned good, cooked rice and shredded boiled chicken.  

**Had to google .... Pancreatitis.

Edited by Loving my Oldies

40 minutes ago, Loving my Oldies said:

Jo, a long time ago I had a little dog diagnosed with [having a senior moment and can’t remember the ** “itis” :(:(].  I kept her well and happy on the diet my vet suggested.

One third each of i/d canned good, cooked rice and shredded boiled chicken.  

**Had to google .... Pancreatitis.

Maddie goes straight onto cooked chicken and rice if she has pancreatitis. Seems a bit odd to add the i/d as well as it has 14.8% fat content. I keep Maddie under 10%. 

4 hours ago, yellowgirl said:

Maddie goes straight onto cooked chicken and rice if she has pancreatitis. Seems a bit odd to add the i/d as well as it has 14.8% fat content. I keep Maddie under 10%. 

Is the chicken boiled or roast? It is a long time ago.  Maybe it was the l/d.  Sorry, YG.  Well over 16/17 years ago!!

4 hours ago, Loving my Oldies said:

Is the chicken boiled or roast? It is a long time ago.  Maybe it was the l/d.  Sorry, YG.  Well over 16/17 years ago!!

I buy fresh chicken pieces and boil them. No worries, LMO, you're very lucky if it was that long ago since one of your senior bubs has had pancreatitis! x

• Like 1