Advice needed - will our rescue ever be cat tolerant?

She has an anxiety disorder, a medical condition for which a veterinarian has determined she needs medication. She’s only just in her new home, trying to settle in, and is beside herself regarding the cat along with all the other changes. This is not the time to take her off the medication that is holding her together. As someone who has a dog diagnosed with an anxiety disorder for which he takes medication, you need to put this dog’s needs FIRST. And that means returning/relinquishing her to a rescue knowledgeable about behaviour, or obtaining help from a veterinary behaviourist.

• Like 2

On 14/11/2019 at 1:59 PM, persephone said:

@Crazy Animal Lady

how're things?  

Sorry for the late reply. She is still here with us, we are currently in the process of finding her a rescue group. However, if we are knocked back.. We have decided that she will be sadly going back to the shelter. Just waiting to hear back from a couple of rescues.

• Like 3

On 11/18/2019 at 5:23 PM, Crazy Animal Lady said:

Sorry for the late reply. She is still here with us, we are currently in the process of finding her a rescue group. However, if we are knocked back.. We have decided that she will be sadly going back to the shelter. Just waiting to hear back from a couple of rescues.

Have you tried VIC Dog Rescue?  Good rescues in VIC - have a look at www.petrescue.com.au and see who is rehoming similar dogs.  I'd avoid AWDRI (rescue for working dogs) but plenty of others.   I've also had to return a dog i had on trial, he was not good with my other dogs and was getting worse rather than better, it can happen to anyone but the golden rule is always your own pets must come first.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Her Majesty Dogmad said:

Have you tried VIC Dog Rescue?  Good rescues in VIC - have a look at www.petrescue.com.au and see who is rehoming similar dogs.  I'd avoid AWDRI (rescue for working dogs) but plenty of others.   I've also had to return a dog i had on trial, he was not good with my other dogs and was getting worse rather than better, it can happen to anyone but the golden rule is always your own pets must come first.

Thank you for the recommendation, I have had a look on Pet Rescue and contacted rescues adopting out similar dogs.

I haven’t tried Vic Dog Rescue but shall do that now - has high hopes for one rescue but sadly haven’t heard back from them.

Very sorry that you were in a similar situation, it’s a very hard call to make.