NATURAL TRAINING TREAT?

Stitch

rI have a young large breed dog (read bottomless food pit) who I have found can't tolerate many of the commercial dog training treats.

He also seems to have issues with heart and/or liver....I haven't worked that one out yet.

Currently I am using chicken.  It is high value but it is not only expensive but very messy to feed. 

Oven dried diced heart/liver did work and was easy to feed but it gave him the runs.

Can you share some of your training treat ideas please?  He goes through a small plastic baggy sized lot each training session.

Edited by Stitch
  • Like 1

In the wet food aisle of Aldi and I think it was Woolie (maybe Coles) - where they keep the pet mince - they often sell bags of small dog food. These are essentially tiny meatballs and are my basic go to. I mix kibble in with them so the kibble gets the flavour and then alternate while training :)

I go through heaps of treats, especially with a new puppy in training.  I buy the Prime 100 rolls from the pet store & cut them into tiny pieces & store them in the freezer.  The Salmon & the Roo are the favourites here and along with the chicken are the easiest to cut & handle.  Some of the varieties are a bit crumbly but those three, especially the roo are good.

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I was thinking about the Prime rolls as they can be single source protein.  The lamb puffs sound interesting but not sure if it would upset the gut.

Edited by Stitch

• 2 weeks later...

Prime Roll Kangaroo & Pumpkin have worked really well.  I diced a whole roll and then froze it in 125g baggies....somewhat of an endurance event but happy with the results.

It just shows that you get what you pay for....no upset tummy with the more expensive rolls.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stitch said:

Prime Roll Kangaroo & Pumpkin have worked really well.  I diced a whole roll and then froze it in 125g baggies....somewhat of an endurance event but happy with the results.

It just shows that you get what you pay for....no upset tummy with the more expensive rolls.

That is what I use & do...works a treat & am very happy with it.  I have tried one of the more expensive supermarket rolls but it was very jelly like & hard to handle

5 hours ago, Stitch said:

That was exactly what I was going to recommend (specifically the roo and pumpkin). Having great success with this with a dog with IBD. 

Edited by corrie

On 23/11/2019 at 3:06 PM, Stitch said:

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I was thinking about the Prime rolls as they can be single source protein.  The lamb puffs sound interesting but not sure if it would upset the gut.

Sorry, I know I am late posting. I have had fosters here very unmotivated by food (due to stress) but in need of some very basic training still. I think T put me on to lamb puffs and they always worked! I have fostered a breed of dog with some dietary do's and don'ts and we had no issue with the lamb puffs with any of them. You can break it into smaller pieces too and I like that it is dry so your hands don't get so yucky as it would with wet food.