Excess Animal Permit Application

anon2345

Hi all!

Has anyone applied for an excess animal permit, and been approved or denied? I’d love some advice/tips etc about the process.

We live in a small apartment without our 7 month old puppy, who is a small breed. We’ve also just purchased another puppy, who will be smaller than our current pup. Unfortunately today I went to check registration costs and saw that our council has a 1 dog per unit/apartment/townhouse restriction. We will have to apply for the excess animal permit which is very concerning as we are supposed to get our pup next Friday!

While we accept the apartment is small, the dogs would have adequate space to play as well as being walked 2-3 times every day. We don’t have a backyard, but we do have a balcony with a ‘potty plant’ set up which is cleaned frequently and the balcony scrubbed down every few days. Our current puppy doesn’t bark, and most of our neighbours adore her. The ones who don’t are scared of dogs.

She has never disturbed the neighbours, even as a very young puppy. We baked all the neighbours cookies in anticipation of her bothering them while she adjusted, but we were told no one even knew we had a puppy. The entire apartment complex is concrete and very soundproof. We don’t hear our neighbours unless they’re in the hallway just outside our door.

What exactly is the council looking for? What would be the reasons they’d say no? We are so worried that we will have to give up our new puppy! :(

• Like 1

I think you would be better just getting on with either applying for the permit but above all you need to contact the breeder & discuss the issue that has cropped up .It would be irresponsible to take on the pup without knowing if you can actually keep it .
The breeder may be prepared to hang on to it a week longer whilst you get the paperwork submitted for approval otherwise it may be better to pull out at present & find out what you need to comply with for your local council,whether it requires the other residents to approve the extra dog etc etc.

I gather its done to stop people over committing to animals in a very small area that can impact those more closely around them

• Like 1

is it Council , or the body corporate /whoever runs the apartment block? If the management says ONE pet ..then that's it. You'd need to talk with them and ask if there is any leeway. (unless it's Council apartments) 
the noise level WILL JUMP amazingly high having two pups :( I do not see a happy ending . 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, persephone said:

is it Council , or the body corporate /whoever runs the apartment block? If the management says ONE pet ..then that's it. You'd need to talk with them and ask if there is any leeway. (unless it's Council apartments) 
the noise level WILL JUMP amazingly high having two pups :( I do not see a happy ending . 

It’s definitely council. No rules in body Corp/management around number of dogs - it’s just around ‘responsible pet ownership’.

Spoke with council and they advised that they will come out to just make sure that two puppies can be safely looked after.

• Like 3