Flea and tick - chews vs spot ons

Lanny1

My vet put my dog on Bravecto, the 3 monthly chew one.  He doesn't particularly like chewing it.

I was at the pet store today and I noticed the six monthly spot on.  I thought maybe this would work better with him. 

Any one have any recommendations about this?  How effective are the the spot ons? 

Thanks

Edited by Lanny1

What's the active ingredient? Some spot ons work better than others.  My dogs have had had horrible reactions to synthetic pyrethiods. Seizures etc.  I've never seen a spot on advertised for more than a month. 

Edited by sandgrubber
Additional information

42 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

What's the active ingredient? Some spot ons work better than others.  My dogs have had had horrible reactions to synthetic pyrethiods. Seizures etc.  I've never seen a spot on advertised for more than a month. 

I saw it at the vets last week

3 hours ago, jemappelle said:

Which one is the 6 monthly spot on as I've never heard of it.  I have used Advantix with good results but it needs fortnightly application for paralysis ticks.  I use Nexgard now and haven't had any problems.

Just a heads up, unless it's changed, Advantix is toxic to cats.  I used to use it if I was going into tick country .. but I had to wait until after I'd left home because of the cat.  I think there's a 2 day period to keep out of water after applying too.

Last time I went North, I used Nexgard  (vets' choice) .. with no problems .. but it was only for a short time.   My guys have no problems taking stuff, fortunately.