Breeder hesitant for us to help in choosing which puppy

wlee

Hi Everyone,

It would be great to get some advice and feedback about the current situation we're in. 

We've already organised to pick up a puppy in a few weeks time from a reputable breeder. However, they appear to be quite adamant when it comes to choosing which puppy for us and we don't feel as though we've been involved at all in the selection process.

I understand that this will be the first time our family has had a dog, but i do feel that it's quite strange for a breeder to only want you to visit on the day of picking up the actual puppy and to not involve you in the selection process. If anyone could please share their thoughts/experiences or opinion on this that would be great. 

Thank you,

W

Not strange but it comes down to sorting this info out prior to committing .

First off where are you on the list ??
If you where not first then selection process comes down to where you place,what you may have been after sex wise ,what was actually then available from some of the criteria etc etc .
Sometimes this means not alot of choice .

This is how we do it .
No one comes out till after there vaccinated & microchipped to look at pups this is 7 weeks.
Prior to this we have spoken with the new owners at length to understand what they want (this covers kids age wise,grandkids,outside activities,show,pet,performance & any other essential aspects to the pup being the right choice .
We then have to look at the list .everyone wants to be first but that isn't how it works.
Breeder depending on what there breeding for will look at show potential first in our case (or performance,therapy etc etc or just well matched pet))
We then have to factor what sexes people wanted,what was born,those who want a set colour,those who are open minded & those that don't want to change there must haves,in the end some miss out by there lack of flexibility,others benefit  due to those people .Some miss out due to known of that sex others lucky due to more of there desired sex.

The people get invited out to look at what pups are available for them & those at the end of the list don't get the choice but are more than welcome to decline what is left & wait ,we don't take deposits so there not tied into saying yes .
We will also select the pups we know will better suit homes over others & again up to the owners if they want that selected pup or decline .
The times we do give priority on the list is for the people with special needs children as its important the pup in some ways chosen them & feels they can happily exist .

We explain this clearly at the first contact & most of those contacting ask about the process .

When they do come out & look at the puppies or pup & they are happy with that they have decided on we take a holding fee which is receipted & the microchip of said puppy listed on there ,at collection pup is scanned to confirm the one agreed on .

• Like 3

Every breeder does this differently, but the answer to your question is no, it's not unusual. Another reason, in addition to those Dogsfevr gave, is that one visit often does not tell you what you need to know.  Say you want a pup with high drive, and the most appropriate pup in the litter has just eaten so much that he can hardly move (or you want low drive and the most layed back has just waked up and is feeling vigorous).  You will not choose the right pup for your needs.  Also, people who don't have a lot of experience with pups tend to go for the cutest color pattern, or the pup that comes to them first ('he chose me').  That isn't the best way to select. 

• Like 4

Doesn't sound unusual . 
If we have a litter ..we often know which pup will suit which new situation best ..sometimes almost from the time the pup is born ! New owners don't see their pup until they come collect it :)

If the breeder has asked you lots of questions , and is experienced, then I'd trust they know what they are doing :)
matching a pup to a family is more than cute puppy dog eyes, a pretty colour pattern, and a waggy tail  ;) 

A breeder who is experienced and observant will know which are the settled pups, which are the drivey ones. 
Which pup may be ideal for elderly/frail people.
Which puppies might be the perfect walking/training companion, or which one may be the one who needs extra work ..who will be a star , given the extra time & training - who is NOT one to leave to their own devices ;) 
Does puppy A push puppy F out the way ? 
Why does puppy C only ever come when she can see someone ?
When Puppy D growls and snaps ...is that going to be a problem ? 
How wonderful is it when that puppy E just gazes up at us after sitting and waiting ! ? 

these are all things breeders watch and note and add to their files  for future use :) 
Inexperienced new puppy buyers do not have this advantage ..and CAN not have this advantage , because of disease risks .

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1

Hi everyone, 

It's been great to get your perspective on this and to also understand why this isn't unusual. I really appreciate you all taking the time to comment and share. 

Hopefully, if anything our desire to be heavily involved can be interpreted as enthusiasm and also how serious we regard this commitment. 

Have a great weekend,

W

7 minutes ago, wlee said:

Hi everyone, 

It's been great to get your perspective on this and to also understand why this isn't unusual. I really appreciate you all taking the time to comment and share. 

Hopefully, if anything our desire to be heavily involved can be interpreted as enthusiasm and also how serious we regard this commitment. 

Have a great weekend,

W

Depends how you have approached the breeder regarding this ,being pushy & demanding compared to  enthusiastic can be seen very differently  .

When you say heavily involved i guess that comes down to what you mean by that ??Are you wanting a certain nature,pretty markings,what are your priorities .I would gather you have already expressed what your wanting in your future pet so the breeder is savvy to that knowledge .
If both sides haven't communicated anything that is a different issue
So maybe tells us what you where expecting or hoping to do & see whether that was also realistic .
We have had people who wanted to come out and do there own "test" problem is those people had no clue how to do the tests correctly,how to interpret the outcome & at the end of the day you haven't paid for a puppy but you can easily set a puppy backwards & say no not for me after breaking it .

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

When you say heavily involved i guess that comes down to what you mean by that ??Are you wanting a certain nature,pretty markings,what are your priorities .I would gather you have already expressed what your wanting in your future pet so the breeder is savvy to that knowledge .

Good idea :) 

What do you mean by "heavily involved" ? 

If I can explain this in another way .
we go to buy a new car . We know the make, the model ..cos we've done our research . We go to the showroom, and we then get to pick the colour! We are certain , that whichever colour we pick, we will be getting the same performance, size, and capabilities  of machine..so we can be confident in our personal choice :) Drive away- No more to pay. 

Pups are different . 
Every pup is a different personality .
Every pup is a slightly different makeup/size/colour/coat.
Even in a litter where the puppies are all one colour ... those little mammalian brains make SURE there are a whole lots of varying little temperaments in there! 
Because ethical/reputable breeders spend so much time watching/working with their new babies ..AND  know the makeup of the parentage , they have a good idea of how these pups will grow up /what their temperaments will be :)
A lovely family, excited to choose a puppy cannot know this ....

an example. 

Recently , we had 3 girl pups . Working breed . At a few weeks old , we could see that one was not like the other two ... she was happy to sleep on a favourite blanket while her sisters caused havoc .She lacked the "drive' needed to be happy in the rough and hard job working with stock. 
We waited  for her 'right' person to show up ..and he did ! She  is now a Truck Dog .. travelling with her 'dad' as he delivers stock food etc all over ... sleeping inside, spending time with neighbours, playing with kids , and it is a match made in heaven  ( well, not really ... ;) ) 
Her "Dad" also knew that if things didn't work out, that we would take her back - no hard feelings , and that we are always just a phone call away .

Finding the right match is a bit like making a jigsaw puzzle :) Everyone knows when the piece just "clicks"
So, @wlee I do hope your breeder has taken time to ensure the puppy you get is THE best fit for your family ..that you have ongoing support from them, and that you share photos and stories of your new family member here with us  :)

• Like 3

I usually pick which pup goes where especially for a first time dog owner. I've watched the pups from day one and have a very good idea of each ones temperament etc and who would do best in each particular home. Most of my puppy buyers have not been in a position to easily visit so not unusual to not see pup until either pick up from my home of off the plane. The couple that have been close enough have visited with many warnings not to get their mind set on a certain pup. On the whole this has worked out well for everyone involved.

• Like 4

I should have been more careful in my choice of words, but i guess what i meant by heavily involved was that we just wanted to go out there and get a feel for the environment in which the puppies were being raised and to also just see them (not necessarily choose one ourselves). 

After reading your responses it certainly makes sense to us (especially being first time dog owners) that the breeder should pick for us and we're excited about pick up this Saturday! 

I will definitely share photos and the experience with you all! 

• Like 5

Thanks for the update ... Saturday! Not long to go now, then :love: Your lives will never be your own again ! LOL (neither will your sox, your toes, your hoses.....) 

Not sure how much research you've done - probably quite a lot , as you seem very keen :)
I'll pop these links here (cos that's what I do) for extra reading, anyhow. 
How excitement :)

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

• Like 6

Thank you @persephone, looking forward to our lives being changed forever! I've needed a pair of new socks for a while now anyway haha 

Awesome i'll be sure to give them a read after work, also i'll post up some photos here on Saturday. 

Thank you,

Winston

• Like 2

Also don’t be surprised if you don’t get to view the whole litter , Mum, dad etc 

breeders don’t always allow it , due to things like bringing in nasties to pups not fully vaccinated . Dad  might well be from another breeder or even overseas. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone! 

Sorry i know i said id post something sooner but the last two days have been fairly busy. I'm happy to report that we brought Otto (we've named him) home on Saturday and he's doing well! 

So far he hasn't had any accidents indoors over the last two days, he's been extremely affectionate and playful but also has quite a calm temperament. The breeder definitely chose well! 

We're all very happy! 

pup.JPG

pup2.JPG

pup3.JPG

• Like 12

Thanks for coming back and updating, and introducing your wonderful young man. :heart:  It's so good to hear stories where acquiring a well bred puppy from a careful breeder has gone well as it should do.   Hopefully you'll pop in from time to time to keep us updated with his progress.

Edited by Tassie
  • Like 3