Selena’s Harley

Bug zapper terrifies pup

6 posts in this topic

We have figured out our pup Harley gets terrified , scurries away hides cries , will not eat or drink pants fast breathing .. tonight is so bad been hours and he will not calm down... we have turned the zapper off and still can’t calm him this time ...

these zappers I guess make a noise we can’t here.. but it started with the zap noice making him run off.. 

has anybody else had a dog freight so much ? 

E08CEB39-A142-4D2A-8F96-7FAF609A77BB.jpeg

Dogsfevr   

They make a noise when it zaps bugs and can smell .

Our dogs hate them so not used 

poor baby ... out the zapper goes ! It does crackle .. and he has obviously become very scared :( Put it in the shed or somewhere  ..and find another way to deal with bugs :(

Snook   

I have a dog who can get terribly frightened of some things. When it's a mild level of fear it can be worth working with the dog using positive training techniques to change their emotional response to the thing that distresses them. The level of fear you're describing is quite extreme and the best thing you can do for your dog is manage his environment by removing the trigger (in this case the bug zapper.) It's not okay for any dog to be put through that level of fear and anxiety when it's something that can be easily resolved by not using it any more. 

• Like 2

Boronia   

just get rid of it, it kills heaps of good insects, use mozzie repellent and fly traps instead.

This is copied from Google--> Traditional bug zappers will kill a large number of harmless insects. In fact, they may even kill a larger number of beneficial insects than harmful ones. Mosquitoes in particular are attracted to carbon dioxide (in your breath) and water vapour (in your sweat) rather than ultraviolet light from zappers

• Like 1

asal   
On 01/12/2019 at 8:18 PM, Boronia said:

just get rid of it, it kills heaps of good insects, use mozzie repellent and fly traps instead.

This is copied from Google--> Traditional bug zappers will kill a large number of harmless insects. In fact, they may even kill a larger number of beneficial insects than harmful ones. Mosquitoes in particular are attracted to carbon dioxide (in your breath) and water vapour (in your sweat) rather than ultraviolet light from zappers

Yes, I stupidly bought one at Aldi

we have mozzies by the score but when I watched it at work what it was attracting and killing was dozens of moths and beneficial insects.....not a single mozzie 

into the bin it went

• Like 2