Puppy Blues? Is that crazy?

MrsO

Hi everyone :-) 

We have a lovely 8 week old Lab x German Shepherd boy called Tama (Samoan for boy). I have wanted a dog forever and now that the kids are a bit older (10 and 12) and I'm working from home it is the perfect time. He's doing really well (I think?!) BUT I feel ridiculously down. Like Baby-blues down. Is this crazy? I'm beginning to regret doing this - I knew it would be hard work, but a bit like a newborn human baby... you never really appreciate just how hard it is. Has anyone else experienced this? 

I think you’ll find it’s pretty common. As a breeder, I’ve had plenty of emails and phone calls in the first month of people taking their new puppies home with feelings of anxiety and worry - especially from those who like you, haven’t had a puppy before or who have gone from a sensible old dog to a new puppy. Things will only improve with time as he grows. Try to put things in place that can help you for when you’re feeling overwhelmed (can you send him to day care once a week, or get a dog walker to visit etc) and be happy knowing he is happy with you. Try to enjoy the short time he’s a puppy, it’ll be gone before you know it. 

• Like 3

Welcome, Mrs. O ..and Tama! 

So..a new baby! No wonder you are feeling a tad wrung out  ;) It is hard work..consistently so ..and as a new pup owner , doubly so . Feel free to offload here- we've read it ALL /heard it all  done most of it ourselves LOL 

• Like 1

Another suggestion .. keep a list somewhere handy, and write down at least one thing a day that Tama does that you're really happy or pleased with … or else something that was very cute.   Just so that you remember among the naughtiness and mistakes, he is a wonderful family member in the making.    Oh and don't hesitate to put him in a crate or an exercise pen so he can have naps, and you can get on with your work and smile at how sweet he is when he's asleep.

• Like 2

We had a puppy buyer return her pup after a week (no drama's we take them back) .
The pup became so overwhelming for her with regret she nearly had a break down .
She was a wonderful loving person,owned a dog many many many years ago.
Had been out & scene the pups & honestly was a perfect home we had no regrets sending her home with pup but it was like she went into Postpartum Depression.
Her husband & family where wonderfully supportive but she couldn't cope & the family & great discussion with us all agreed the best choice was to return the pup .

This is the worse scenario granted .

• Sad 1

I didn’t grow up with pets and at the ripe old age of 48, I became the proud “mum” of two tiny Maltese puppies.  I’d taken time off work to settle them in and a friend from another state came to visit.  When she arrived, I fell on her neck crying my eyes out.  I had become overwhelmed by the RESPONSIBILITY for these little lives.   My friend thought I was crazy, of course.  

• Like 3