Amber is 10 today!

JulesP

Today is Amber's 10th Birthday! This would be exciting for any dog but it is super exciting for me & Amber. When Amber was 11 months old she was diagnosed with multiple liver shunts. This was inoperable and she was given a prognosis of around 6 months to live.

I did a lot of reading and put her a strict diet and medication regime. A Yahoo support group was very valuable in the early stages. Amber has always been happy and full of life. There have been a few times were I thought I might lose her but she has never said that she has had enough.

It hasn't been easy but she has totally been worth it. She is my little stalker and is always around staring at me with her lovely eyes.

I didn't dare to hope that we would get to 10 years. This is the low end of a normal life span for a Border Collie but to even make it into the normal life span is amazing.

So Happy Birthday Amber!

amber2019.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks guys. I think she is rather lovely Snook! I tried to get a really nice photo of her today but she was having none of it. I was siting on the floor looking at the photos I had taken and the cheeky beast was watching me so I quickly took a photo. All the other ones she looks very miserable as she didn't want a photo shoot :laugh: Poppy of course kept posing beautifully! 

3 hours ago, JulesP said:
Today is Amber's 10th Birthday! This would be exciting for any dog but it is super exciting for me & Amber. When Amber was 11 months old she was diagnosed with multiple liver shunts. This was inoperable and she was given a prognosis of around 6 months to live.

I did a lot of reading and put her a strict diet and medication regime. A Yahoo support group was very valuable in the early stages. Amber has always been happy and full of life. There have been a few times were I thought I might lose her but she has never said that she has had enough.

It hasn't been easy but she has totally been worth it. She is my little stalker and is always around staring at me with her lovely eyes.

I didn't dare to hope that we would get to 10 years. This is the low end of a normal life span for a Border Collie but to even make it into the normal life span is amazing.

So Happy Birthday Amber!

amber2019.jpg

Oh WOW, @JulesP -- how awesome is that!!!    What an absolute tribute, to you and to Amber.   Thank goodness she came to you.  :heart:  Your journey with her is a great example of the importance of researching and persisting .. while at the same time listening to what your dog is telling you, and as you say, even at the rough times, Amber was ready to keep working to be with you.   Happy, happy 10th birthday dear Amber.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 11:06 AM, JulesP said:

So Happy Birthday Amber!

amber2019.jpg

Yes Happy birthday Amber.  I had a mini schnauzer who developed a liver shunt at 6mths old, had surgery even though I was warned that it may be unsuccessful and with very careful observance of diet, he went on to live until he was 14.5 years old.  RIP Benson.

• Like 3