Goodbye Dozer

Taliecat

This morning we said goodbye to Dozer.

He was still so young only 6 and a half,  but a MCT took him from us so quickly.  We didn't even know it was an MCT until it was too late,  we were more worried about the large (harmless) cyst that was growing on your back. 

We knew the time was coming these last few weeks, we'd almost doubled your food intake and you were still getting thinner,  you were so tired all the time and didn't want to play. 

We'll never forget you,  and will see you at the rainbow bridge one day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

post-50677-0-26153800-1383107964_thumb.jpg

You were such an adorable puppy. 

We didn't know better than getting you from a byb, little did we know that we would be dealing with lifelong food allergies, environmental sensitivities and a less than sound temperament. 

Y6jJ6uY.jpg

But still,  we loved you with all our hearts and kept persisting.  We changed our lives to suit you,  and moved only where you would be safe and happy.  We ran up ridiculous power bills to keep you comfortable all summer long (spring and autumn too).

oTXjYsI.jpg

We bought the best of food,  and found special treats that didn't make you sick. 

You snuggled with us and hogged all the blankets. Fwpsb9H.jpg

You were a goofball and sang us the song of your people every day

uvoWuDq.jpg

And were ridiculously photogenic 

isB5hM4.jpg

You won the hearts of people who hated bull breeds,  and were the best elbow licker of them all. 

Edited by Taliecat
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh, taliecat - 
I am so very sorry your wonderful boy had to go :(
What an ambassador for the bully breeds. :)

he obviously picked his humans perfectly and had a life full of love & care. Be kind to yourselves now, cancer doesn't care who it touches .. no one's fault! 
:kissbetter:

• Like 1

Thank you all for the lovely messages. 

Last night was hard,  the first night we've been at home in over 6 years and there was no little feet padding back and forward between me in bed and mr tc on the couch trying to suss out where he wanted to sleep. No telling him to get out of my damn spot in the bed after I got up to wee and was only gone a minute.

I swear I heard his yawn that he made when he stretches out last night,  and saw a shadow move to where he'd wait to go out in the morning while I was making coffees this morning.

When I finally slept last night,  it was wrapped up in his crate blanket that smells of him.

I feel such guilt this morning, even though I would want someone to do for me if I were that sick. 

The house is so quiet, and I wish it was Monday already so I'd be back at work and too busy to get caught in memories. There's photos and paintings of him all over the house. I know if overtime comes up,  I'll be doing as much as possible to not be here. 

I can't deal with the quiet, and wish we were a multi-dog household so I didn't feel so alone. 

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, Taliecat said:

I swear I heard his yawn that he made when he stretches out last night,  and saw a shadow move to where he'd wait to go out in the morning while I was making coffees this morning.

..and I believe you did, and will :):love:   They don't disappear that easily 

big cyber-hugs for you .... and tears .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Taliecat said:

I feel such guilt this morning, even though I would want someone to do for me if I were that sick. 

It is such a paradox and a heart wrenching one. 

Deepest sympathies on your loss, @Taliecat.  Dozer was blessed and cursed at the same time:  blessed to have you and yours as his devoted family and cursed with having an illness which shortened his life drastically.   Those photos are so adorable and a true testament to the wonderful life he had with you.  

:rainbowbridge:  :rainbowbridge:  :rainbowbridge:  Farewell darling boy and may there always be hoses aplenty for you to play with.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Taliecat said:

I believe you did. When Zena left us there were a few little happenings that made me think she wasn’t far away.

We still miss her like crazy. Cancer sucks !!!

• Like 1

So sorry to hear this TC.  I felt & saw Fleming for a long time afterwards, and yep, I have the guilts for both of mine. Was it too early?  Was it too late?  Were they in pain & I didn't know?  It's a terrible thing.

Easier to say than do, but don't beat yourself up too much.  Know that he was well loved, and you did the right thing by him.

Sending hugs 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh TC I am so very sorry that Dozer has made the journey over Rainbow Bridge. It is such a devastating time.

Yes, they are not far away from us when their time comes, and they do send little signs that they are doing okay when we are missing them the most.

May all your memories of Dozer be good ones :heart:

• Like 2

Hi Taliecat. I must confess I stopped looking at any new posts in the Rainbow Bridge area after we lost Tempeh (almost 13 months ago now). I wasn't up for reliving the pain of losing a beloved dog, particularly when they were still at their prime. I am so very sorry for your loss and can tell you that even after all this time I still talk to Tempeh, feel her around me (she is happy) and also still sleep with one of her coats. It hurts noone and gives me comfort. It keeps me connected. I think about her now and smile because she feels happy and free of her demons.  But seeing your post about Dozer also brings up some guilt because back in August my girl Stussy (12 and a stafford) had all these lumps come up suddenly and the ones I was worried about were nothing, but the one on her back was a low grade MCT. We had some issues post biopsy and she had to have it removed under more urgent circumstances but she sailed through it and her recovery. She has also been losing a little weight and getting a few brain farts since but there are no signs of it showing anywhere else inside or out.

At the same time as Stussy was having her surgery another famous stafford, Tonka the Concreter (almost 9) had the same issue and surgery. He didn't survive his either. His family were devastated and the community who follows him were also devastated.

I don't know why cancer takes some babies and not others. I really don't. And I don't know why great doggos get hit with such awful illnesses that they don't deserve. I wish our love was enough to save them all. So I'm very sorry for your loss as it hits close to home. All I can do is hug Stussy a little bit tighter in Dozer's honour. X