Separation anxiety

Anyone have luck with their senior rescue dog and lessening their separation anxiety? Mine is 8 yo and is so anxious that he forgoes treats/food/water and whines from the moment i leave to the moment i return. I ve begun clicker training him w treats and trying to de condition him to keys and me picking up bags and walking out the door but he can only stand one to three minutes max before freaking out. Even if i mop on the other end of the door he freaks and wants to be in the same room. 

Hi! My (rescue) Chihuahua x doesn’t have Separation Anxiety, but he was diagnosed with and began treatment for Generalised Anxiety Disorder and Canine Compulsive Disorder (aka OCD) at age 10 and is doing well at almost 14. Age is no barrier to mental wellness!

I’d highly recommend seeing a veterinary behaviourist. Scroll down to South Australia at this link: https://www.anzcvs.org.au/chapters/veterinary+behaviour+chapter

Another good resource: https://malenademartini.com/

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 1

:welcome:

:) How long have you had him? Still settling in? Are you away fulll time? Is he alone? Was he fostered with other dogs or in a shelter?

Anxiety is a complex thing and you may need medication which may or may not work but what you're doing is a great start. Long walks too. And chewing a meaty bone will release endorphins. IQ puzzles are distracting also. Basic training like what you're doing also tires a stressy brain.

We generally go by rule of 3. 3 days to get a handle on change of environment. 3 weeks to settle and 3 months to properly bond and become 'your dog'.

I'd recommend a veterinary behaviourist if it becomes too much for simple things (and you can access one). Meds usually begin with Lovan or Clomicalm if you'd like to have a google. If you can't find a vet behaviourist work in conjunction with your regular vet and a positive reinforcement Delta &/or NDTF certified trainer.

I'm no trainer at all, just have a history with seniors. :)  There's a FB group but I can't remember the name. 

Edited by Powerlegs