My puppy has parvo

Leon

I purchased a dog the other day only had it for one day and it has tested positive for Parvo the vet is 100% sure that she didn’t get it from our home. She is now in the hospital getting the best care possible  could I ask breeder to help pay the vet bill

Irrespective of costs the breeder needs to be informed of what the vet believes it has so they can inform other puppy buyers .
Start there ,get a feel from the conversation as to how they may react .
They may want there vet to speak with your vet to make sure its defiantly parvo .
Does the puppy have health insurance some breeders pups go with 6 weeks pet insurance.

Personally im not sure why you would post on a forum first off without letting the breeder know in case other puppy buyers are at risk.

Parvo is a live vaccine so they will test positive whether it’s actually parvo is another thing .Many vets will say parvo but it’s not always correct 

Could be severe colitis hence allowing for an open conversation with the breeder 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes please let the breeder know asap so they can let the other puppy owners know and keep an eye on their own dogs/pups. Poor baby, I hope she comes through ok. The law in Victoria says you can get a full refund of purchase price if in a vet's opinion pup's illness was contracted before sale. (words to that effect, I'd have to look up the proper wording) How old is puppy and what age did she have her vaccination/s?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The incubation period for parvo is 3 to 5 days, so if the pup came down with it after one day, there's no question your vet is right...it was infected (but not necessarily showing symptoms) before you picked it up.  Most likely the whole litter is infected.  That's about the worst thing that can happen to a breeder.  Quite likely you have a strong legal claim.  But if the breeder is a decent sort, please go easy and allow time for them to work it out. Getting hit with several thousand dollars of legal claims and the need for a massive and difficult disinfection job just before Xmas... perhaps care for some deadly sick puppies as well... is enough to ruin someone. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sandgrubber said:

The incubation period for parvo is 3 to 5 days, so if the pup came down with it after one day, there's no question your vet is right...it was infected (but not necessarily showing symptoms) before you picked it up.  Most likely the whole litter is infected.  That's about the worst thing that can happen to a breeder.  Quite likely you have a strong legal claim.  But if the breeder is a decent sort, please go easy and allow time for them to work it out. Getting hit with several thousand dollars of legal claims and the need for a massive and difficult disinfection job just before Xmas... perhaps care for some deadly sick puppies as well... is enough to ruin someone. 

There are very specific regulations about this in  Victoria,  so do check before you “attack” the breeder

Edited by JRG
Auto spell!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Leon said:

I purchased a dog the other day only had it for one day and it has tested positive for Parvo the vet is 100% sure that she didn’t get it from our home. She is now in the hospital getting the best care possible  could I ask breeder to help pay the vet bill

Please let us now how your puppy is going.  Hoping for the best outcome for your both.  

BTW, I can relate.  I collected my first puppy (many years ago now) from the breeder and took her straight away to my vet just to show her to him really and have him check her over.  He diagnosed her with heart disease :cry: :cry:.  I let the breeder know straight away and they offered to take her back, but that never entered my mind.  I’d visited her a couple of times waiting for her to be old enough to bring home so she was mine.  

So all the best and do keep us posted.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2019 at 9:31 PM, Dogsfevr said:

Irrespective of costs the breeder needs to be informed of what the vet believes it has so they can inform other puppy buyers .
Start there ,get a feel from the conversation as to how they may react .
They may want there vet to speak with your vet to make sure its defiantly parvo .
Does the puppy have health insurance some breeders pups go with 6 weeks pet insurance.

Personally im not sure why you would post on a forum first off without letting the breeder know in case other puppy buyers are at risk.

Parvo is a live vaccine so they will test positive whether it’s actually parvo is another thing .Many vets will say parvo but it’s not always correct 

Could be severe colitis hence allowing for an open conversation with the breeder 

The Breeder was informed and straight away seems your not up to date with the lastest technology here is a link for your perusal  https://www.idexx.com.au/en-au/veterinary/snap-tests/snap-tests-technology/

On 12/23/2019 at 6:08 AM, tdierikx said:

Parvo tests can give a false positive if the pup has been vaccinated within the past week... and vaccinosis can display similar symptoms to parvo as well...

When was your pup last vaccinated?

T.

new technology suggest different information about Parvovirus here is a link https://www.idexx.com.au/en-au/veterinary/snap-tests/snap-tests-technology/

On 12/23/2019 at 6:57 AM, JRG said:

There are very specific regulations about this in  Victoria,  so do check before you “attack” the breeder

At no time have i attacked the breeder i have communicated with and also shared all medical reports. I also asked for a second test in case the first one was a false read it also came back positive.As a duty of care I have told the breeder everything and at no time have i ever blamed them. First and foremost is the care for the puppy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, juice said:

So if you know all the facts about   Parvo and have spoken to the breeder why come here and ask opinions and then respond with blunt ( rude ) comments . Google your questions. 

1.At no time have I said that I know all the facts about Parvo

2. If my replies seem blunt and rude (that’s your opinion and your entitled to that) that was not intended 

3. This is a forum and I thought it was a good place to get opinions. 
4. May you have a Merry Christmas 

4 hours ago, Leon said:

new technology suggest different information about Parvovirus here is a link https://www.idexx.com.au/en-au/veterinary/snap-tests/snap-tests-technology/

I work as a vet nurse and use those antigen tests regularly, and I can confirm that recently vaccinated (and symptomless) pups can and do test positive for Parvo after vaccination with a modified live vaccine.

Would you be able to just humour me and let me know how recently, before the Parvo test, your pup was vaccinated? And how is she doing with/after treatment? I am genuinely interested in the outcome for your little one @Leon... and hoping that she's pulled through OK...

T.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Leon said:

1.At no time have I said that I know all the facts about Parvo

2. If my replies seem blunt and rude (that’s your opinion and your entitled to that) that was not intended 

3. This is a forum and I thought it was a good place to get opinions. 
4. May you have a Merry Christmas 

Hi Leon,

you haven't been a DOL member for long so it's important for you to understand that the members here are passionate about dogs and their welfare. You said in your post that you had the pup for one day, that it had parvo and asked if it'd be ok to ask the breeder to pay for her vet bill, you received quite a few suggestions, some which were not tactful.

You appeared, (from reading your first post), to be floundering in what to do, but from your subsequent posts it seems that you have the problem under control, so your comments about the suggestions made by members here are a unwarranted.

You are welcome here but keep in mind that it's not facebook and that DOLers will not put up with drama-lamas when the main concern is the dog so please don't try to make us feel bad because some posters offended you.

We do care about your little pup, there is realms of info to be had from DOLers so ask questions but don't get confrontational with members

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 22/12/2019 at 7:34 PM, Leon said:

Ok sorry if I have offended anyone here that was not intended at all. My puppy was vaccinated on the 16/12/19 and I picked her up on the 20/12/19. On the 21/12/19 she stopped eating and started to vomit at 10.30 pm by 12.30am and her third vomit we took her to ARH in Essendon Fields.
She tested positive to Parvo and was admitted for treatment. Because of costs on the 22/12/19 we transferred her to the Lort Smith Animal Hospital for continued treatment. All the time I was communicating with the breeder who doesn’t not believe that the puppy does not  have  parvovirus but a parasitic bug. 

I have had many meeting with the vets and the lead vet at Lort Smith who had done a second test for the parvovirus and it also tested positive. I had passed on this information about the parasitic bug and I was told that it wasn’t likely but they will test for it once my puppy has solid stools as she has had diarrhoea for the last 2 days.

At no time have I asked the breeder to pay the vet bill in my original post, I asked if it I could ask the breeder to help pay the bill never have I asked if the breeder should pay all. 

Yes I haven’t been on here for long and no I’m not a drama lama. If the diagnosis is correct I feel sorry for the other people who have purchased a puppy who may get ill and possibly pass away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Hi Leon, sounds like everything that can be done is being down for your girl. Actually the breeder was a bit remiss letting the pup go only 4 days after vaccination, unless of course it was the 2nd or 3rd. I'm about to head off to work (nightshift) but yes you have a case for some reimbursement, I think only up to the purchase price. Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction re the legislation in Victoria. If not I'll have a look for you in a couple of days and post here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As I pointed out, there are now reasonably specific regulations in Victoria concerning your rights as a puppy buyer and the breeders obligations.  It might be an idea to check these . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please keep us updated on how your puppy is going, I have been through parvo with one of my own and it cost us a huge amount of money to save him so I completely understand where your coming from, especially if he’s only just come into your care.

Excuse some of the responses on here there are a few people that are often rude especially to new members.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Leon said:

The Breeder was informed and straight away seems your not up to date with the lastest technology here is a link for your perusal  https://www.idexx.com.au/en-au/veterinary/snap-tests/snap-tests-technology/

fully aware of the new technology you have listed and fully aware it still gives false positives and varies on other factors  Within the result tests .

It is not 100% guaranteed but has helped in this field greatly  .

Been in the dog world a long time had a dog with parvo twice who survived many many years ago and a dog at an event recently passed of parvo .

Current updates on the disease,testing options ,whether still shedding the virus is something many of us in the dog world are very savvy .

Those who replied are those experienced hence the reason you may not have got the answer you wanted/ expected but answers of making sure it’s right ,have you done because the knowledge is more than just a pet owner .

people answer based on the info you choice to post  aka can I ask the breeder to help pay 

• Like 1

If it was a first vaccination, far as I am aware the vaccination doesn't begin to impart immunity until about day 7.

learned that first hand when my mum bought an unvaccinated puppy, did not learn it was not vaccinated until already paid for and about to leave and asked for her vaccination certificate.

when the breeder said she did not vaccinate her puppies we rang our vet immediately and arranged to take her directly to him.. problem was she wanted to go to the toilet while we were driving and stopped to let her out to go on the grass beside the road.

seven days later she was walking along the hallway with her shoulder against the wall to stop her falling over..........straight to the vet and diagnosed with the beginning of distemper.  The vet said the only reason she survived and without brain damage was the vaccine immunity was kicking in at the same time the virus was trying to take over.

poor puppy, hope she recovers ok. at least parvo is not as dreadful as distemper, usually those who survive distemper have varying degrees of brain damage. awful disease.

That was a very long time ago about 1960

Edited by asal
  • Like 1