My puppy has parvo

Leon

10 hours ago, Leon said:

Ok sorry if I have offended anyone here that was not intended at all. My puppy was vaccinated on the 16/12/19 and I picked her up on the 20/12/19. On the 21/12/19 she stopped eating and started to vomit at 10.30 pm by 12.30am and her third vomit we took her to ARH in Essendon Fields.
She tested positive to Parvo and was admitted for treatment. Because of costs on the 22/12/19 we transferred her to the Lort Smith Animal Hospital for continued treatment. All the time I was communicating with the breeder who doesn’t not believe that the puppy does not  have  parvovirus but a parasitic bug. 

I have had many meeting with the vets and the lead vet at Lort Smith who had done a second test for the parvovirus and it also tested positive. I had passed on this information about the parasitic bug and I was told that it wasn’t likely but they will test for it once my puppy has solid stools as she has had diarrhoea for the last 2 days.

At no time have I asked the breeder to pay the vet bill in my original post, I asked if it I could ask the breeder to help pay the bill never have I asked if the breeder should pay all. 

Yes I haven’t been on here for long and no I’m not a drama lama. If the diagnosis is correct I feel sorry for the other people who have purchased a puppy who may get ill and possibly pass away. 

It sounds like you have her treatment well in hand @Leon... and you got in really early, which is paramount to having a good outcome. I wouldn't solely rely on the SNAP test for a 100% guarantee that she has Parvo though... the margin for false positives is higher than claimed by the manufacturer in all honesty. The best indicator of what is going on is that she's still with us 4 days into treatment... a VERY promising sign that she's a little fighter and may well beat this hurdle.

The treatment for suspected Parvo is to be put on fluids to support your pup while the bug is fought by the pup's own immune system. This will cause diarrhoea if she's not eating solids as yet, as she has nothing solid to turn into properly formed faeces in her tummy... so the diarrhoea might not be related to the bug. Mind you, Parvo diarrhoea has a VERY distinctive smell, which I have found to be probably the better indicator of that disease than even the antigen test. There are so many other bugs that a pup can get that mimic the symptoms of Parvo, that sometimes even very experienced vets can jump to the wrong conclusion... but fortunately, the treatment and supportive care is exactly the same regardless of which actual bug they may have, OK?

Just one other question comes to mind here... was she also wormed at the same time as she had her vaccination? I have seen cases where pups have been very ill after having both on the same day - not common, but not rare either. I have raised well over 300 puppies myself (rescue litters), so have seen pretty much everything that can go wrong despite all the best intentions by breeders, owners, and vets.

We are forgetting the most important thing here in all of this though... what is your little one's name? And do you have any photos of her that you can share with us, so we can fawn over her cuteness?

I would say that as your pup fell ill within 24 hours of being picked up from the breeder, that you may well have a case for getting some form of compensation from the breeder to help with the bill for her treatment, but that probably will only be up to the price you paid for her. I don't know of many bugs that have a 24 hour gestation period... most will be from 48 hours up to around 2 weeks. There are a couple of strains of parvo that gestate in 48 hours, but your timeline indicates you hadn't had her in your care quite that long. Also, the vaccines used nowadays have a 3-5 day take-up time - but are tempered by whether the pup has residual immunities from their mother, which is why we follow 2 or 3 vaccination protocols... to cover for this anomaly.

One last thing... if Parvo is the suspect in this case, then you will need to try to disinfect everything your pup has come into contact with - bedding, floors, clothes, etc. Ask the vet for some F10 disinfectant, and follow the instructions on the bottle to make up the correct strength to work on the virus pathogens. Leave the F10 on for at least 30 minutes at that strength... you don't have to wash it off if you don't need to, as it is safe for pets and humans anyways, OK? Parvo is a nasty bugger that is hard to get rid of in the environment, and has a long life... F10 is one of the few very effective disinfectants that will help reduce it's presence.

T.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, tdierikx said:

It sounds like you have her treatment well in hand @Leon... and you got in really early, which is paramount to having a good outcome. I wouldn't solely rely on the SNAP test for a 100% guarantee that she has Parvo though... the margin for false positives is higher than claimed by the manufacturer in all honesty. The best indicator of what is going on is that she's still with us 4 days into treatment... a VERY promising sign that she's a little fighter and may well beat this hurdle.

The treatment for suspected Parvo is to be put on fluids to support your pup while the bug is fought by the pup's own immune system. This will cause diarrhoea if she's not eating solids as yet, as she has nothing solid to turn into properly formed faeces in her tummy... so the diarrhoea might not be related to the bug. Mind you, Parvo diarrhoea has a VERY distinctive smell, which I have found to be probably the better indicator of that disease than even the antigen test. There are so many other bugs that a pup can get that mimic the symptoms of Parvo, that sometimes even very experienced vets can jump to the wrong conclusion... but fortunately, the treatment and supportive care is exactly the same regardless of which actual bug they may have, OK?

Just one other question comes to mind here... was she also wormed at the same time as she had her vaccination? I have seen cases where pups have been very ill after having both on the same day - not common, but not rare either. I have raised well over 300 puppies myself (rescue litters), so have seen pretty much everything that can go wrong despite all the best intentions by breeders, owners, and vets.

We are forgetting the most important thing here in all of this though... what is your little one's name? And do you have any photos of her that you can share with us, so we can fawn over her cuteness?

I would say that as your pup fell ill within 24 hours of being picked up from the breeder, that you may well have a case for getting some form of compensation from the breeder to help with the bill for her treatment, but that probably will only be up to the price you paid for her. I don't know of many bugs that have a 24 hour gestation period... most will be from 48 hours up to around 2 weeks. There are a couple of strains of parvo that gestate in 48 hours, but your timeline indicates you hadn't had her in your care quite that long. Also, the vaccines used nowadays have a 3-5 day take-up time - but are tempered by whether the pup has residual immunities from their mother, which is why we follow 2 or 3 vaccination protocols... to cover for this anomaly.

One last thing... if Parvo is the suspect in this case, then you will need to try to disinfect everything your pup has come into contact with - bedding, floors, clothes, etc. Ask the vet for some F10 disinfectant, and follow the instructions on the bottle to make up the correct strength to work on the virus pathogens. Leave the F10 on for at least 30 minutes at that strength... you don't have to wash it off if you don't need to, as it is safe for pets and humans anyways, OK? Parvo is a nasty bugger that is hard to get rid of in the environment, and has a long life... F10 is one of the few very effective disinfectants that will help reduce it's presence.

T.

Thank you her name is Belle I’m sorry not smart enough to post photo keeps telling me file is to big even when I took a picture of a picture. I could not believe how hard it is to get F10sc but I was fortunate enough that I was given some sample bottles and the breeder had arranged to get some for me but the bottle wasn’t going to be delivered until 2pm yesterday. 

We are still cleaning the house and have sprayed the whole yard. I sprayed carpets and couch I am going to repeat the cleaning once the bottle of F10sc I purchased off eBay is delivered on the 2nd of January. 

The breeder’s vet said there is no way it was Parvo and suggested it was a parasitic bug and to use an antibiotic called Metronidazole. I suggested Meteronidazole to the vet at Lort smith and they assured me it was Parvo I requested for them to get the next stool sample tested to make sure it it is not a parasitic bug. They told me that this particular antibiotic is very strong and might not be wise to administer at this time. I am clueless here and have no idea. 

• Like 1

The breeders vet hasn't seen the pup so can't say it is not parvo. Trust the vet treating Belle. If Belle is sick enough to be hospitalised for several days then yes her body may not cope with such an antibiotic. I am finding it strange the breeder and vet are so insistant that Belle has a parasitic bug. Surely they have put a name to it? What has happened that they are so insistant? Another sick dog? Previous problems? 

• Like 6

Hoping little Belle has had a comfortable Christmas, and is responding well to her treatment...

Hmmm... Metronidazole (Flagyl) is usually indicated for bugs like Giardia... personally, I'd be going for Panacur (fenbendazole) to combat that. And if the breeder's vet suspects that Giardia is a likelyhood, then Belle certainly would have picked that up well before you took her home... thus the breeder could be liable for some compensation regarding your vet bills. Gestation for Giardia is 5 to 12 days in dogs...

Right now, the best sign is that Belle is still with us and hopefully will recover in due course. Parvo can kill small pups within a few days - even with treatment - so your prompt action in getting her to a vet and onto fluid/medical treatment is the best christmas present she could hope for. Well done @Leon!

What breed is little Belle? Maybe I can get a mind picture of her to smile about... *grin*

T.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tdierikx said:

Hoping little Belle has had a comfortable Christmas, and is responding well to her treatment...

Hmmm... Metronidazole (Flagyl) is usually indicated for bugs like Giardia... personally, I'd be going for Panacur (fenbendazole) to combat that. And if the breeder's vet suspects that Giardia is a likelyhood, then Belle certainly would have picked that up well before you took her home... thus the breeder could be liable for some compensation regarding your vet bills. Gestation for Giardia is 5 to 12 days in dogs...

Right now, the best sign is that Belle is still with us and hopefully will recover in due course. Parvo can kill small pups within a few days - even with treatment - so your prompt action in getting her to a vet and onto fluid/medical treatment is the best christmas present she could hope for. Well done @Leon!

What breed is little Belle? Maybe I can get a mind picture of her to smile about... *grin*

T.

Belle is an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier blue in colour. We picked her up today at 3pm. She has been to the toilet both pee and number twos and we have collect the stool and will take it back for tests as they said it will take 2 days to get the results. I would like to know what she has had. 

She is on 2 tablets of Clavulox per day for 10 days. 1/4 tablet of Cerenia which is anti-nausea in the morning and also have a wafer of Ondansetron which is given only half if she is still nauseous.

She has lost 200 grams in weight she was 3.5 kgs before this happened. Now she looks poorly but alive and was very happy to be home.
We are feeding her boiled chicken and only a little bit of her biscuits Royal Canin puppy food. She is sleeping now and has been for a while. 
I was lucky that I transferred her to the Lort Smith Animal Hospital other wise the bill would of been through the roof ARH Essendon was $1800 for 24 hrs 3 1/2 days at Lort Smith was just under $1400. Not a nice Christmas present but also very happy she is still with us.  
she was wormed on the 15/12/19 and had her shot on the 16/12/19

Edited by Leon
Left out
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

That is wonderful news @Leon! I'm sure she'll really thrive now she's home with you...

If she did actually have Parvo, your very quick action in getting her to ARH was the one thing that saved her life... I'm hoping that it was similarly symptomed bug like Coronavirus or even Giardia, as both of those are much easier to deal with the disinfection and shedding aftermath. Parvo pathogens can live in the environment for 12 to 18 months, but the other 2 have MUCH shorter lifespans.

She sounds absolutely gorgeous... baby blue Staffords are stunning little whirlwinds... *grin*

Merry Christmas little Belle... your daddy loves you very much and you gave him such a scare... but now you can get down to the job of giving and getting lots of love and cuddles, OK?

T.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tdierikx said:

That is wonderful news @Leon! I'm sure she'll really thrive now she's home with you...

If she did actually have Parvo, your very quick action in getting her to ARH was the one thing that saved her life... I'm hoping that it was similarly symptomed bug like Coronavirus or even Giardia, as both of those are much easier to deal with the disinfection and shedding aftermath. Parvo pathogens can live in the environment for 12 to 18 months, but the other 2 have MUCH shorter lifespans.

She sounds absolutely gorgeous... baby blue Staffords are stunning little whirlwinds... *grin*

Merry Christmas little Belle... your daddy loves you very much and you gave him such a scare... but now you can get down to the job of giving and getting lots of love and cuddles, OK?

T.

Thank you for your help and all other comments Belle is doing well between my partner my son and myself we are looking after her around the clock. Currently she is sleeping as she was up most of the night just happy to be home. 

Belle and myself wish everyone a merry Christmas and a safe and happy new year. 

• Like 4

Good to hear she's keeping you all on your toes... Staffords can be real little terrors when they decide it's playtime in the middle of the night... lol!

The best thing for her is lots of rest and cuddle time now... chilling on the couch with her fave humans is the first "trick" she can learn, yes?

T.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Leon,

I hope Belle is doing ok, but there were a few things that rang alarm bells in this post for me...did you breeder tell other puppy buyers?  Is the breeder at least covering some of your vet costs also?  You are well within your rights to claim these, if it was my pups Id be rushing to pay for them.  I had one of a litter come back a light positive but recovered within hours of fluids, turns out (as mentioned by others here) it was caused by a vaccination reaction (as its a live vaccine) 

However, I was on the phone to owner, her vet, my vet, other new owners in litter, trying to work out where it might have come from and cleaning cleaning cleaning!!  Even though it was found to be a vaccination reaction I STILL: paid the vet bill of just over $1000 as I still felt awful for new owners.  This is what an ETHICAL breeder that cares about their puppies would do.  Im so glad you got onto it fast and Belle is still with you <3

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...