Puppy Vaccinations

Snoopie

Hey all - long time lurker first time poster!

Our pup had her 2nd vaccinations at 10 weeks old. She was given Nobivac DHP and Nobivac KC (nasal spray kind). Her first vaccination with the breeder was Protech C3.

The vet told us that with these vaccinations the 3rd booster shot isn't required.

The vet also said that our pup could go for walks and all other usual dog activity a week after the vaccinations (so 11 weeks). Following on from this advice we took her to an off-lead dog park our older dog has been going to shortly after the 11 week mark. While we were there a guy we met expressed concern that a dog's vaccinations don't really kick in until 16 weeks old so I guess I'm just a little concerned now.

I don't mind getting the 3rd booster if it's required but I don't really want to over-vaccinate my dog either.

FWIW, our other dog ( who we take to a different vet) had a Protech C4 vaccination at 11 weeks and 15 weeks in addition to his first vaccination with the breeder. I vaguely recall the vet at the time saying the 3rd vaccination was more of a "just in case shot".

I'll be calling the vet in the morning but what are people's thoughts? Should it be safe to take the younger pup to the park? Should we think about getting her the 3rd booster shot at our older dog's vet just in case?

As an aside I keep reading comments like "make sure your area isn't high in Parvo" but how would you find this information out? I have tried to google it but can't really find anything relevant to the last 6 months.

I only ever do 2  puppy vaccinations. 8 weeks and 12 weeks. I do believe the nobivac vacc given at 10 weeks is the last one needed until 12 months later. No idea about the nasal component though. However there is no way at all that I would be taking a puppy to a dog park. IMO you are just asking for trouble and not just from the various diseases she could pick up. Your vet would be able to advise you on how many parvo cases they have seen lately.

• Like 3

As 2 different brands where given its more a case of where the regime stands .
We use nobivac for 1 and 2 and there coverage is different to other brands .

If you have taken out pet insurance be mindful of what cover they guarantee based on vaccinations, for some that 3 Vacc means fully vaccinated covered .

Vaccination schedules are based on the actual brands used .

Puppy Vaccination Schedules

Vaccines are given at the following ages, based on the brand chosen by your vet:

• 6 weeks of age: Nobivac®, Duramune®, Protech®
  • 8 weeks of age: Duramune®, Protech®, Canigen®, Canvac®
  • 10 weeks of age: Nobivac®, Duramune®, Protech®
  • 12 weeks of age: Canigen®, Canvac®
  • 16 weeks: All brands

Most puppies have already been given their first vaccine before sale. Make sure you then check with your vet when the next dose is due. In our clinic, it’s at 10 weeks of age, for example.

Here’s the same information in table form.

Canigen C3/C4 Canvac C4 Duramune C3/C4 Nobivac DHP Protech C3/C4
6 weeks     X X X
8 weeks X X X   X
10 weeks     X X X
12 weeks X X      
16 weeks¹ X X X X X
Protected² 14 weeks 14 weeks 12 weeks 11 weeks 12 weeks

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 3

Thanks Rebanne and Dogsfevr.

I think I might just get her the 3rd booster anyway. From what I've read it probably won't do any harm and after having a chat to the vet they have confirmed that we're in a fairly high Parvo area. 

I didn't know about possible pet insurance restrictions based on number of Vaccinations. I will have to sit down and have a read when I have some time. 

• Like 2

There's a lot of uncertainty.  Try to imagine the testing required to get a rock solid understanding of when you can be absolutely confident of immunity, given breed differences, maternal antibodies, and different individual immune responses, and you will understand why.  Better safe than sorry. Parvo is really nasty, and risks are high in hot weather 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, 

Just to continue on from the reply of @Dogsfevr

[To be upfront I work for an Australian pet insurance company]

It is important to know whether you are covered for "routine care" vaccinations - meaning the insurer will pay up to a certain amount for things like check-ups and vaccinations, but vaccinations are not usually separately covered, so the full amount that most insurers will cover will be up to the limit of what your policy covers in Routine Care. They will not always cover all vaccinations as they are not all generally considered "necessary".

As an example, the company I work for do not cover for vaccinations at all. But they will cover your pet if the vaccinations they did have fail and the dog/cat still contract the disease. 

Having the original series of vaccinations don't last forever, and boosters will always be necessary as directed by your vet. So far we haven't heard of any cases of puppies falling ill from vaccinations or not having vaccinations for that matter, but please don't take that as a sign it won't happen. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by GInsurance

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, MiraBounty said:

I probably need to change vets. Is it normal that he told me to vaccinate the little one each month for the first 6 months and then once per year? It seems like a bit too much and he really hates going there too.

Hi and welcome.   It says you're overseas, so I guess the answer will depend on where you live.  In Australia, vaccination schedules for puppies vary according to the particular vaccine used (and to some extent where the pup lives  … e.g. high parvovirus risk area or low risk.)  The post by @Dogsfevr higher up on this thread shows how the different vaccine brands may be given at different schedules.

I think here, the general consensus is to vaccinate enough to try to ensure adequate base protection, and from then on (14 months) only enough to provide appropriate cover.  More vets are now open to client requests to do titre testing to determine the level of protection against the core diseases.

I would be asking around other pup owners (including your pup's breeder) and seeing what other vets recommend and why.

I would also be working with your pup and your vet office on ways to help your pup enjoy vet visits more.   (I do regular visits .. with lots of teats … to the vet waiting room when it's empty or almost empty, to do things like weighing the dogs.    They nearly always get greetings and treats from receptions and any vet nurses who are passing through .. then they can leave really happy.   

19 hours ago, MiraBounty said:

I probably need to change vets. Is it normal that he told me to vaccinate the little one each month for the first 6 months and then once per year? It seems like a bit too much and he really hates going there too.

Like Tassie said depends where you live although im not sure of any vacc worldwide that is given monthly but are you sure your not confusing worming monthly till 6 months that may have come up in the conversation

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 8:51 AM, GInsurance said:

Hi All, 

Just to continue on from the reply of @Dogsfevr

[To be upfront I work for an Australian pet insurance company]

It is important to know whether you are covered for "routine care" vaccinations - meaning the insurer will pay up to a certain amount for things like check-ups and vaccinations, but vaccinations are not usually separately covered, so the full amount that most insurers will cover will be up to the limit of what your policy covers in Routine Care. They will not always cover all vaccinations as they are not all generally considered "necessary".

As an example, the company I work for do not cover for vaccinations at all. But they will cover your pet if the vaccinations they did have fail and the dog/cat still contract the disease. 

Having the original series of vaccinations don't last forever, and boosters will always be necessary as directed by your vet. So far we haven't heard of any cases of puppies falling ill from vaccinations or not having vaccinations for that matter, but please don't take that as a sign it won't happen. 

Hope this helps.

Im talking about your pet insurance not covering a claim if the vaccination protocol is not followed or your dog gets sick with a disease that they deem could be vaccinated for & preventable not about vaccine failure .
Not all cover titer test in there wording & if a puppy gets parvo but owners opted out of the additional booster then you need to understand how you provider deals with such things because we all know they will will find a reason not to pay out .
Its not about whether they pay for the vaccination but what they will cover if you decide to not follow the recommended protocol that insurers base there findings on .

• Like 1

On 19/02/2020 at 8:01 PM, MiraBounty said:

You might like to check out Fear Free Happy Homes. There is a lot that you and your vet can do to make vet visits less scary for your boy. There’s also a directory of Fear Free certified vets but there may not be many near you (it’s rapidly growing but still new).

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2020 at 3:21 PM, Dogsfevr said:

Im talking about your pet insurance not covering a claim if the vaccination protocol is not followed or your dog gets sick with a disease that they deem could be vaccinated for & preventable not about vaccine failure .
Not all cover titer test in there wording & if a puppy gets parvo but owners opted out of the additional booster then you need to understand how you provider deals with such things because we all know they will will find a reason not to pay out .
Its not about whether they pay for the vaccination but what they will cover if you decide to not follow the recommended protocol that insurers base there findings on .

@Dogsfevr - I understand you. Yes, you are right. I'm not sure if it's all, but certainly any I've seen, pet insurers will not cover for illnesses that are essentially deemed avoidable. Insurers look at it pretty simply, if you follow what the vets instructions are with vaccinations then you are covered for pretty much everything else outside of that. If your vet tells you that your dog doesn't need a specific vaccination and then your dog gets that illness, then your vet is usually liable. Vets have insurance to cover themselves if they give the wrong advice or make a mistake with a procedure, so you should then follow action with the vet, or discuss this with the insurer.