Sydney: FEAR TURNED AGGRESSION training help FOR GSD in Sydney

Hi ,

I live in Sydney and I have a 1-year-old GSD who was initially really shy of other people and dogs when she was a pup. Due to misinformation on my family and Is behalf we didn't really socialize her properly and now she can't walk past another dog without barking her head off!!! We think that fear has turned into aggression.  She pulls and pulls and barks and barks when she is around other dogs and it is quite a frightening situation. A couple of scary incidents have occurred where she got under the gate and started chasing a nearby dog, nipping at their tails. We have taken to multiple trainers (including Pet Resort in Dural which a vet recommended to us).

Nothing has worked so far and we would just really like some guidance as well recommendation on good trainers in sydney  who are used to aggressive dogs and can help us resolve this issue. 

Advice is appreciated

Thank you 

• 2 months later...

I have found this a distressingly common pattern in GSDs. I have worked with some that do the same thing to people and dogs and to pretty much anything else they are not 100% comfortable with. Most of them are more display than serious about biting, but I'm not remotely interested in knowing where their limits are. I've seen some that were made considerably more dangerous just from one training session with a trainer that punishes it. They are trying to buy space. If they don't get it, they often escalate. I have had success just drilling alternative coping strategies into them with a lot of repetitions, but they tend to remain a dog you have to be on the ball with, and some of them do better on medication. In these cases, medication acts to basically knock the top off their arousal so they are less easy to trigger and their reactions are smaller. Makes management and training a lot easier. I swear, I do not understand why people get these dogs. A good GSD is a rewarding and very fun dog to work with and their loyalty is amazing, but I just see so few good GSDs!