Tragedy at Zoo Krefeld on new year's eve

tdierikx

I hate new years because of the fireworks. so many terrified animals lost or hurt.

I had my horses in the stockyards just in case because some idiot in our area sends up the massive rockets with the HUGE opening circles. Has done it every year for as long as I can remember and some of the horses totally lose it. over fences. One crashed the stockyards so desperate to escape she shifted them in some sections 3 foot.

but this year to my immense relief not a one went up. I thanked god they respected the total fire ban.

• Like 2

Lots of people have been saying fireworks should be banned but I see it as one of those vicious cycles. People do make a living organising these events and food, alcohol and taxi/uber companies also benefit from them. Usually it is councils or private businesses engaging them (some are also state government contracted via festival grants) in the belief they are a public drawcard and they are locked down many months in advance. So how do we get the message out that the general public can still happily celebrate without them (if that is of course true)? Will they be happy with a laser light show and music instead? (I'd like to think so) because they are already being used in conjunction with fireworks so organisers could simply shift focus without a great income loss.

I myself have not gone to see fireworks for many years because I know how much they can affect some animals. They are illegal unless you are licensed yet every New Year some idiot is letting them off in suburbs. How do you deal with stupid? I've never heard of anyone being fined for letting them off illegally either. Same with the Chinese lanterns and the impact they can have on the environment (as well as fire risk). And bloody balloon releases! Lots of impact on all of these but so many people still enjoy and participate. Can we change all that?

It seems like such a no brainer to just cancel them and give the money to firies but it doesn't work like that. I do know people involved in these big events and they plan all year and they are a huge source of income for many industries. They only provide what is being asked for so if we are real about this we need to be asking for something different or things will never change. It seems so insulting that we were even considering having fireworks displays anywhere in our country when the other half of it was already on fire but they went ahead as planned and paid for. So now all we can do is see what changes can be made for the coming year and let our councils and event planning businesses know that is not what we want anymore. No fireworks for New Years or outdoor concerts or festivals or weddings or sporting events or royal/local shows. Even if still legal we have to influence them to find safer ways to entertain us. We owe it to all the lives and livelihoods that have already been lost.

• Like 2

Here you go - China using drones to create a unique display to see in the New Year. Let's move with the times and say goodbye to fireworks. Tell your councils and major event organisers now so they have no excuse to keep using them over the coming year.

https://www.facebook.com/jim.cook.14268769/videos/2935428783142444/UzpfSTU3MTgwNzgxNjoyNjE1OTE4OTExNzk0Nzgy/

• Like 2

On 02/01/2020 at 7:43 PM, Little Gifts said:

.... No fireworks for New Years or outdoor concerts or festivals or weddings or sporting events or royal/local shows. ....

I can live happily with that.  Have said for years that they should be totally banned and have had their day - just like wild animal use in the circus.  But it was relatively easy to legislate re the circus - smaller target, less public pressure in support.  Fireworks are a big-money industry, ACT/Northern Territory all hand in glove with supply and dirty money, and more votes to be lost from the pro-fireworks masses - don't think it will happen, big money and votes talk.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PossumCorner said:

I can live happily with that.  Have said for years that they should be totally banned and have had their day - just like wild animal use in the circus.  But it was relatively easy to legislate re the circus - smaller target, less public pressure in support.  Fireworks are a big-money industry, ACT/Northern Territory all hand in glove with supply and dirty money, and more votes to be lost from the pro-fireworks masses - don't think it will happen, big money and votes talk.

I don't think they will be banned either but if we, the people who attend these events advise the organisers now that we no longer want fireworks and want other entertainment options that are already out there, then it will be them who choose to spend their money in other ways. Otherwise we boycott these events and everyone who relies on them loses money and they get the message then. Councils are the first place to start because they put on NYE and local shows and plan well in advance. Write on their FB pages for a start.

Oh and I should add that the business who create the fireworks shows also do the laser lights and music and some are moving into drones as funds permit so they will not lose their livelihoods. Can't speak about options for firework sellers though.

Edited by Little Gifts
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...