dachshund puppy barking

mandachsy

Hi guys.

We have brought an 11 week old Dachshund puppy into our home two weeks ago. Things are going quite testingly so far. I've had puppies before but never a dachshund. We are working our way through toilet training, quite unsessfully, using crate training. The major issue is now she will bark and bark  and bark some more as soon as we put her in the crate. The first week she was fine and she was fairly quiet but now she has found her voice and the barking is pretty much constant. If we put her outside she does not like that either and wants to be near us so the barking starts again. I've tried to give her some small time on her own so she isn't dependant on our company all the time. Also if i bring her inside out of the crate she wees on the carpet pretty much straight away. Its' testing my knowledge and i'd love some advice if there is any out there. I will be starting puppy school in two weeks but we may loose  our minds before then it this keeps up!!

All tips. I'm considering a citronella collar but I'm not sure if that is a good idea with a puppy her age. 

Welcome :)

Can you give us a daily schedule breakdown for you & pup ? 
Like a timetable ..when in crate/when trained/when fed/when played with/when groomed....?
Gives us a bit better idea.
Also what type and size of crate, where is it situated ..is it attached to a puppy pen as well? 
What surface do you expect pup to toilet on ? grass/dirt?puppy pads? concrete?
And what advice did the breeder give you ? 

I get up at 6am and take for a walk before work at 7.30. She then goes into her pen roughly 2mx3m which has her crate in it and has a vinyl floor so happy for her to go on the vinyl during the day. which we leave open during the day for access to her food bowl and water. I get home at 4.30pm let her out and go play outside with her for an hour or so. She then goes back into her pen while i cook and eat dinner at which time she is fed, usually 6-7.30, then i take her for a walk to the park where we have a run and play for an hour or so. Back home for a bit of quiet time before bed.

The crate is a steel crate approx 80Wx60L with her comfort towel and a small bed placed inside. We are trying to get her to go outside on grass but i would also be happy for her to go inside on a wee pad or litter box if that worked for her. 

the breeder didn't give any advice as their dogs are all outside dogs and do not come inside their home  

My first advice on toilet training is you have no real routine to teach pup to know outside at her home is toilet time.
Im presuming the Too long a walks for a pup that age are part of going to the toilet .
Dachshunds are natural barkers but doesnt mean they should be but take a step back & consider why is this pup barking .
Maybe re read your post on its routine & consider where you could do better ,why the dog is barking & why toilet training isn't working .
Yes you work so you have set up a pen but what are you using as a designated toilet spot ??You say happy to pee on the vinyl well that is a given as it has no where else to go but are you using paper,kitty litter tray or a fake grass toilet tray for pup to learn about toilet habits if inside?
Being in a pen can still teach toilet manners .
Next question would be whats your intentions in adult life for the dog to toilet when your at work,will it be an outside dog at the time,access via a doggy door or will the pen be the long term choice .
In the morning pup goes straight outside ,personally i would cut the long walk out & do a shorter one if you must & encourage more of what you want from pup in the backyard .
At present pup is being trained to be totally reliant on you so yes it may have an odd bark when the door is shut but it sounds more due to not feeling sure of its expectations out there & not really realising its its toilet area ,play area & chill area

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You haven't mentioned any toilet training that you do ? 
HOW are you training her to toilet outside ? What word are you using , for example to let her know it's toilet time ... how often do you take her out when she is in her crate ? Every hour? Every 2 hours? Do you take her to the same spot ?

It will be very confusing for a baby who has multiple surfaces (the sensory stimulation of the surfaces can influence toileting ) bedding/vinyl/grass/pavement/carpet ......

here are a few threads to peruse :) 

LINK1
LINK2
LINK3

• Like 2

Can you put pee pads in pen so she knows where to go ? 

Can she be outside when you are at work , more interesting for her as long as it’s safe with shelter and she gets used to going out . 

• Like 1

Hi Persephone.

When home we are using crate training. She is taken out of the crate every 30-45 mins to relieve herself and i have now started giving her treats and lots of praise when she goes outside ( the cheeky bugger has now started to fake it outside just to get a treat):laugh:

I've gotten rid of a carpet mat inside that she had soiled a few times and last night we had no accidents inside at all. not even one in her pen over night. I know its more about my training rather than hers. I don't blame her for not knowing what to do. I blame me but hopefully now we have turned a corner. Appreciate your advice

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mandachsy said:

Hi Persephone.

When home we are using crate training. She is taken out of the crate every 30-45 mins to relieve herself and i have now started giving her treats and lots of praise when she goes outside ( the cheeky bugger has now started to fake it outside just to get a treat):laugh:

I've gotten rid of a carpet mat inside that she had soiled a few times and last night we had no accidents inside at all. not even one in her pen over night. I know its more about my training rather than hers. I don't blame her for not knowing what to do. I blame me but hopefully now we have turned a corner. Appreciate your advice

How much time each day is pup crated or in the pen compared to having some quality free time around the house & learning to go in/out the door independently .
It just reads that her free time is a very small window , teaching  self thinking & enabling the behaviour to ask to go outside or walk to the door to be rewarded & walked out  & to not be demanding as the pup has options is very important .
I owned a Std Smooth & showed other Dachies for many years ,they like there voice given there job is to bark when in work mode so they are a breed you need to teach boundaries but any pup not sure can start to vocalize through frustration
Carrying out takes the thought process out plus training the dog to be so reliant on human guidance & to become needy

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1

For a pup this age, I'm only seeing one meal time mentioned.  I would expect 3 meals a day .. or at least 2.

And again, it might be a misreading. but I would rather see you spending time playing with the pup in your yard, and or interacting with the pup in your house, rather than a walk to the park and run around there.  That way you can be increasing the association with toileting in your yard.

For my pups,. going out to the toilet is a quiet and purposeful thing … so when the pup first gets out of the crate in the morning, on lead and outside .. no play at that stage. .. just wander round with her until she toilets, then quiet praise, and a bit of off lead play or a walk and in for breakfast.  Another on lead quiet toilet outing before you leave for work, and then leave her with a food stuffed Kong or Toppl, frozen in summer.  She needs some sort of specific toilet space in her pen … newspaper is fine, or fake grass .. you'll need to have a couple of bits of that so you can wash it regularly.   

Seems a bit too much just walking for me for her age .. for mine it's more about learning to settle before bedtime, and learning to do things with me.

It's good that she's managing to go all night now.

• Like 2