Temperament testing on wolf pups

sandgrubber

Wolves have been persecuted for centuries now. It makes sense that interest or curiosity of Man has been systematically culled over that time, so remnants of that trait  might still occur, though less often. I can attest to that, and the results, 55 yrs ago  when the result was wiping out the pack.:cry:

Unless its a fake story,  Russia uses wolf dogs for border patrol. Their attempts at breeding suitable dogs for this were not successful until they found the 'right' wolf, with a liking for human companionship Other examples are cropping up, now that the persecution is lessened.

Edited by moosmum

That was quite interesting, but the article said that of thirteen  cubs only three showed any interest in returning the ball to the person I wonder how many 13 say greyhounds or another breed of pup, that may have little or no retrieving / nurturing drive would with no training to bring back a ball. My experience has been (with Greys) that they are generally quite nonchalant when it actually comes to holding it in their mouth after they have chased and grabbed it, once the movement has gone they have very little interest. They would be more than willing to come back, but not one brought the ball back with them :laugh: also I did this collectively not individually which may have had some influence on their behaviour. Having said that i have seen a retrieving nutter Grey but the owner told me that he did need to learn to retrieve.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:10 PM, m-j said:

That was quite interesting, but the article said that of thirteen  cubs only three showed any interest in returning the ball to the person I wonder how many 13 say greyhounds or another breed of pup, that may have little or no retrieving / nurturing drive would with no training to bring back a ball. My experience has been (with Greys) that they are generally quite nonchalant when it actually comes to holding it in their mouth after they have chased and grabbed it, once the movement has gone they have very little interest. They would be more than willing to come back, but not one brought the ball back with them :laugh: also I did this collectively not individually which may have had some influence on their behaviour. Having said that i have seen a retrieving nutter Grey but the owner told me that he did need to learn to retrieve.

Interesting observation.  Might be worth sharing it with the study's author. 

mailto:[email protected]

On 1/22/2020 at 9:10 PM, m-j said:

Can't erase this.