Mooch City is in Mourning

Loving my Oldies

Yesterday, my darling Moocher, Bunter, crossed the Bridge.  Bunter had been part of our ever changing household since March 2011 when I had been watching the Renbury page following a little elderly dog with bad hair and completely blind from cataracts. When I realised that this little chap wasn’t going to be swept into the arms of a rescue group,  I trekked out and brought him here.  And so I had the honour of looking after this darling man for close on 9 years.  

For reasons known only to the strange conniptions going on in my brain, I called him Bunter as he was a solid little boy and I recalled from my far distant youth a comic strip about a very fat schoolboy called Billy Bunter. 

After a couple of months here, Bunter had cataract surgery and we were given the unbelievable joy of changing sightless cloudy eyes to glorious bright brown eyes that saw immediately.  He really did have lovely eyes, my little Bunter.  

So passed the years of many adventures, joys and worries and miles of walking around the neighbourhood when I and all the dogs were a lot younger.   For the past couple of years, Bunter has been battling with Dynamic Airways Disease which for the first year or so was kept under control by an array of medications including a puffer.  He also began to suffer from dementia and no longer went downstairs of his own volition.  I used to carry him down so he could have a wander around, but often he became confused and distressed, but just as often I would go out onto the deck to check on him and he would be racing competently up the ramp.  It certainly became a roller coaster of emotions. 

On Tuesday morning, I had to take Sooty back to SASH for a check up (she has had eye surgery to try to give her some sight) and Bunter was still sound asleep on his back in the bedroom.   When I came back he was still on his bedding, but in a different position, so I left him to snooze on  A bit later, he started to bark and yelp, so I went racing down and he was having trouble turning himself onto his feet.  I picked him up and he was soaked in urine.  I gave him a bath, took him downstairs and the rest of the day was pretty well the same as ever.  

The next day, I realised he wasn’t well and made an appointment to take him to my vet.  They kept him all afternoon, on oxygen, did xrays and blood tests and were very concerned.  Because they don’t have anyone to monitor dogs through the night, I took Bunter home that evening, with instructions to bring him  back first thing on Thursday morning.  He was still a little sedated, but through the evening his breathing became laboured so at 2am, I rushed him to SASH so he could be kept comfortable and safe until I could take him back to my vet.  Which I did as early as possible at 8am.  I was pretty upset with SASH as it was perfectly obvious that Bunter was not going to rally and he should not have been put through the transfer from SASH to my vet, where he was gently let go within minutes of my arriving there.  

So Myrtle Street Moochers are bereft today, but amazingly, after fifteen years of living here, two of the original Moochers are still with me:  Tamar and Jeune.  

And here is a little video of Bunter in better days.  I am just so grateful I have this little video as, even through my tears, I can still have a little laugh.  Watch it until the end.  When we walked, I would take Bunter’s lead off at my neighbour’s driveway and he would run the rest of the way home, looking back to ensure his mummy was following and watching over him.   

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

Thank you, DOLers.  It IS hard particularly as they are all so old now and all having health issues.  

I had accepted that Bunter would probably not see the year out,  but it was so damned sudden .....  although I have come to realise that that is what can happen with elderly dogs, cats, humans.  Suddenly, the wheels just fall off.  

Big big Bunter-sized gap in the lounge room, today:cry:  :cry: 

• Sad 4

I always loved reading about Bunter, as I am old enough to remember Billy Bunter ..and it gave me a smile :) Seeing the pic of your Bunter with a mouthful ..well, that made me smile again :) Such a lovely photo.You must have a Sh!t-load of memories in photos !! :love: Bunter was so handsome with his gorgeous coat!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So sad to hear one of your “darling oldies” has passed. Your photos of the little guy are so sweet. What a cutie. No wonder you took him in so many years ago. Such a shock when they leave suddenly. My thoughts are with you. Take care. 

• Thanks 1

This long term DOLer has had a few names, @Boronia. :)  :).  I was actually going through one of my banned periods when Bunter became a member of this crazy household and I had to ask Troy to let me back in so I could tell everyone about him.  Rescue page was more active then and I loved telling the stories of rescues and fosters.  Unfortunately all those stories are gone now with the regular cleans outs that Troy does.  

Edited to add that Danny was with me for so many years (Feb 1999 - Aug 2016) that pretty well all my dogs were part of the Danny era.  Hard to believe that he has been gone for 3 and a half years.  Time is scary.  

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Like 1

So very sad to hear that your Bunter has passed away.  I remember reading about him when you adopted him and the funny bits through the years.  The gap that they leave in our lives is huge and it's probably only then that we realise how very much a part of our lives they were.  He had the good fortune to come into your home and be safe and loved for his last 9 years.  Although the time we have our dogs is never enough,  what you gave Bunter in those 9 years was everything to him.  Keep your good memories safe in your heart - Bunter is there already.  Thinking of you.

• Thanks 1

Yes, it is never long enough.  There were five Moochers and now there are four.  But the difference is extraordinary.  I’m having trouble getting my head around it, really, that the absence of one makes such a huge difference.  I guess it relates to the fact that, although I posted more about Jeune and her health and well-being needs, Bunter’s needs were just as great.  Although she is always on my  mind, Jeune is “just there”; Bunter had to be where I was even if I was sitting at the dining room table, he would be right by my chair and if I moved to lie on the couch to watch TV or read he would move too.  I would just drop my arm over the edge and stroke him, although I had to be careful he didn’t forget he loved me and think to bite me would be more interesting.  

• Sad 3