Snook

Advice needed re dog's stools

30 posts in this topic

Snook   

Some of you are aware that my 14 year old dog had a dreadful week last week and from Monday to Saturday was in and out of the vets several times and had a couple of overnight stays on a drip, after bone shards got lodged in his intestines. He was in a world of pain and the bone shards eventually came out after a combination of being given microlax and having shards physically pulled out by the vet through his anus. He had micro tears in his bowel and was producing blood, both on its own and mixed in with diarrhoea until Sunday last weekend. His vet knew about that and said it was to be expected and the blood would clear up within a few days, and it did. He was also on two antibiotics.. Noroclav and Metronidazole, which he finished on Tuesday or Wednesday this week. 

He's been on a diet of roast chicken (all skin and fat removed and small pieces wrapped in paper towel to remove any grease before being fed to him.. this is what his vet gave him when he was in her care and said it was fine to continue with this instead of cooking up chicken myself) and rice, three times a day. Today will be two weeks that he's been eating just chicken and rice and 8 days since he first turned a corner and started looking like he was going to recover. He's still not 100% but I don't know if he ever will be with how much of a toll this took on him. He used to act like a much younger dog before he got sick (maybe around 8 or 9 years old) and now he's what I'd kind of expect for a 14 year old dog but who knows.. he may just need more time. 

Anyway, moving on to my actual question (all of the background was to provide context and explain how sick he was, as I imagine his recovery time is likely to be quite different to a young dog who just had a couple of days of diarrhoea.) His stools are orange, which I understand is normal for a diet of chicken and rice and he's had chicken rice after a bout of colitis several years ago and was fine on it. He no longer has watery diarrhoea, nor is he still having faeces come out without realising it or when doing one of his rancid roast chicken farts (being sharted on by a dog was a first for me lol.) His stools are now formed in to a shape and thicker but very soft.. they lose their shape when I pick them up and some of it stays stuck to the grass it's on. 

Before he got sick he was on a diet of Big Dog BARF, tinned sardines, raw eggs, natural Greek yoghurt and meaty bones. His stools were always small, firm and didn't smell much. Bones will be off the menu from now on but I don't know if I should start reintroducing one food.. maybe his BARF.. with the chicken and rice, or whether his stools are indicating that he either needs longer for his stomach to settle or needs to go back to the vet (maybe for more antibiotics)? It's not an urgent situation and I can call his vet on Tuesday but I wanted to try and get some information before then about what's going on. Thanks for any advice you can offer. 

Snook   

I just thought I should add that he was also on Blackmore's Digesticare probiotic powder before he got sick, after he started getting a lot of gas in his old age and it wasn't being rectified by modifying his diet. I used to mix it in with his BARF each morning. I haven't been giving it to him since he got sick as I didn't think the powder would be very nice with the chicken and rice, as it won't mix in properly and will just coat the chicken and rice pieces. 

:) dear amazing dog human -
If he were mine, he'd be on a probiotic , and would be introduced to the BARF again over the next few days - obviously stopping if there was a major disruption. Lactose-free yoghurt would also be good in small quantities to help that macerated gut lining fully heal :) Faeces will be soft ..but should firm up slowly with the addition of the barf in slowly larger quantities :)

• Like 6

Snook   

Thank you both. I'll pop out in a minute and pick up some lactose free yoghurt for him and try adding a bit of that tonight with some of the probiotic powder mixed in to start with. I'll start reintroducing his BARF in small amounts on Tuesday and see how he goes. I've just had the carpets cleaned today after multiple stains from his poor, unwell stomach last week and early this week and I have a rental inspection on Tuesday morning, so can't risk upsetting his stomach between now and then. If introducing the BARF slowly does upset his stomach, I'll get him back to the vet to see what's going on but hopefully between that, the yoghurt and the probiotic, things will improve for him. Thank you so much for the advice. I've never had him not be back to normal after 2 or 3 days on the chicken and rice, but then he's never been anywhere near this sick before either, and I just wasn't sure what I should be expecting or trying. Your help is greatly appreciated! 

• Like 2

Definitely back on to the Digesticare. I would swap out some of the rice with mashed pumpkin. Does an amazing job of soothing stomachs. Yoghurt is fine to give (mine all love it) but the probiotics are for humans not dogs so add for taste for sure. Also if his appetite is average try some nutrigel. 

• Like 4

Snook   
18 minutes ago, The Spotted Devil said:

Definitely back on to the Digesticare. I would swap out some of the rice with mashed pumpkin. Does an amazing job of soothing stomachs. Yoghurt is fine to give (mine all love it) but the probiotics are for humans not dogs so add for taste for sure. Also if his appetite is average try some nutrigel. 

I gave him a scoop of the Digesticare mixed in with a spoon of the lactose free yoghurt with his dinner tonight and I'll give him a dose daily from here on. I've heard that pumpkin is good for upset stomachs but I can't see any way that I could get him to eat it. He's a massive food whore but he either refuses to try vegetables, or spits them out, every single time. He'll pick out the meat if it's mixed in unless it's coated in gravy, which obviously isn't a good idea for his stomach right now. I'm open to any suggestions to help get him to eat pumpkin though. :)

His appetite has been really good since he started improving last weekend. He's excited about meal times and I'm sure he'd scoff down a whole chicken if I let him.. lol. He's also back to eyeing off every morsel of food that passes my lips as well. :laugh:

• Like 4

Good signs! I just mash the pumpkin and lightly mix through chicken and yoghurt with a bit of water. I usually poach the chicken with the pumpkin so the flavour goes through. 

My lot get Digesticare as a matter of course every night. It’s really good for boosting the immune system in preparation for an illness as much as it’s about recovering from one. 

• Like 2

Snook   

Mixing the yoghurt in with the pumpkin is a great idea. That might actually work with how much he loves yoghurt. 

Justice had been getting Digesticare every day since I started him on it in around February last year, until he got the bone shards lodged a couple of weeks ago. I was worried he might refuse the chicken and rice if I tried to mix it in with that after he got sick, but he ate it all up in the yoghurt tonight. I'll see if one of the few supermarkets around here who open on a public holiday have any pumpkin tomorrow, otherwise I can pick some up on Tuesday and try mashing it with the yoghurt mixed through for him. Thanks again for the suggestion! 

Boronia   

Give him ripe Jap pumpkin Snook, it is sweet so he may be more inclined to eat it. Some supermarkets are calling it Kent pumpkin now to make it seem upper-class (and attached a price-tag to match!)

F&V shops may be open so you may have a better chance of getting a really really ripe one if you ask

woops, forgot to add the piccie

5e2df0ef3893b_Screenshotfrom2020-01-2706-00-42.png.098223c80c15722b7d982e7c5bb42ec4.png

Edited by Boronia
  • Like 2

Snook   

Thanks so much @Boronia There won't be any fruit and veg shops open here today but I shall try to find this one tomorrow. :)

Tassie   

Yes - mashed pumpkin is my go to now to help settle stomachs and firm up stools.  And mixing with yoghurt would be fine.   My two BCs have been having some soft stool through to really soft and smelly the last week or so .. stopping and starting.  I'm really not sure why .. though the tiny green apples that they are getting from the apple trees themselves if I don't watch them . as well as the ones the cockatoos knock down.  My other suspect was the different Big Dog BARF patties - they normally have Combo, but I couldn't get it last time, so I thought I'd try Turkey .. which is a genuine single protein … still not sure if that was the problem, but I've stopped it for the time being, and at great expense to the management, feeding Providore Lamb and Venison air dried .. which I normally use in my treat collection.   They do have yoghurt every meal .. they're fed twice a day.  They've had no loss of appetite, and haven't really seemed poorly .. it's just the stools.   They do seem to be improving with the pumpkin and the change of meat food.    I'm lucky in that they love their vegetables and fruit .. just have to explain to them about the green bullet like apples.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tassie said:

just have to explain to them about the green bullet like apples.

LOL!! 

• Haha 2

Snook   

Yes, I imagine the green apples aren't helping the situation. I hope their stomachs are back to normal soon, although I'm sure they're not complaining about their lamb and venison in the meantime. :laugh:

I forgot to pull out one of the BARF Patties this morning to defrost in the fridge, so I've just done it now and will start Justice on a small portion of that tomorrow night, with some chicken, pumpkin and yoghurt and see how he does. :)

• Like 3

Snook   

I ended up having to wait all day for a courier who was supposed to pick up a parcel before 12pm, so didn't get to a fruit and veg shop. My local Woolies had a spot on the shelf for Kent pumpkins but none in stock, so I ended up buying some butternut squash as it apparently works just as well. Mashing it and mixing the yoghurt and chicken through was a huge success and Justice licked his bowl clean, so thank you for the yoghurt idea! I also gave him 1/4 of a BARF patty with it so fingers crossed his stools start improving. I'm only giving the probiotic once a day as I was before he got sick, so I'll add that to the mix again tomorrow morning. 

I had a bit of a heart attack this morning when I went outside and found a rat that had visited the back yard yesterday afternoon, and that I'd scared off, had come back at some stage through the night/early morning and Justice had killed it. He's never killed anything before and I'd thought his prey drive was broken to be honest, as he never chases anything and even desperately tries to ignore mynah birds when they swoop him. I feel terrible for the poor rat dying that way, although thankfully it was just puncture wounds and nothing more gruesome, but it still would have been awful for it. It was wet all over, presumably from time spent in Justice's mouth, and I was quietly freaking out that he might get sick from it even though he hadn't eaten any. So far he seems fine, so I'm assuming I can stop worrying now that it's 12 hours on from when I found it? 

Edited by Snook

Ironically my darling Ginny crashed on Sunday with gangrenous mastitis. Poor girl could barely walk, vomiting and diarrhoea. Thankfully she’s finally eating again (and cleaning her puppies). You know what she’s been eating? Started on hand fed roast chicken, then roast chicken dipped in mashed pumpkin and finally biscuits, yoghurt, mashed pumpkin, chicken mixed with some warm water. She’s not out of the woods but that pumpkin has really helped soothe her tummy and firm up her stools. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

juice   

I wonder if I should try the digesticare ? 

I had barbie at the vet again today as she has had sloppy poops for last 3 days and during the night after grabbing duck poop again when I wasn’t looking . It seems to happen every couple of months we have to go get antibiotics. The vet said she could be sensitive to it , but she is on a really low dose of Pred for red armpits which is a summer thing which I know compromises the immune system. Do you think it might help ? They get a dollop if natural Greek yogurt for brekky with biscuits .  

• Like 1

Snook   
30 minutes ago, The Spotted Devil said:

Ironically my darling Ginny crashed on Sunday with gangrenous mastitis. Poor girl could barely walk, vomiting and diarrhoea. Thankfully she’s finally eating again (and cleaning her puppies). You know what she’s been eating? Started on hand fed roast chicken, then roast chicken dipped in mashed pumpkin and finally biscuits, yoghurt, mashed pumpkin, chicken mixed with some warm water. She’s not out of the woods but that pumpkin has really helped soothe her tummy and firm up her stools. 

Oh, the poor darling girl. I'm so glad to hear she's on the mend and that the pumpkin is really helping her I hope Ginny feels 100% again very soon. 

17 minutes ago, juice said:

I wonder if I should try the digesticare ? 

I had barbie at the vet again today as she has had sloppy poops for last 3 days and during the night after grabbing duck poop again when I wasn’t looking . It seems to happen every couple of months we have to go get antibiotics. The vet said she could be sensitive to it , but she is on a really low dose of Pred for red armpits which is a summer thing which I know compromises the immune system. Do you think it might help ? They get a dollop if natural Greek yogurt for brekky with biscuits .  

It can't hurt to try? It made a big difference to Justice after he started getting bad gas in his old age, no matter what I fed him. I didn't think about it until lactose free yoghurt was suggested to me in this thread but lactose is used to make a laxative, so maybe a lactose free natural yoghurt instead of Greek yoghurt might help a bit too? If you decide to try Digesticare, shop around online for prices, as places like Petstock sell it for around $50 for 150g but I bought two today from Chemist Warehouse for $35 each, plus free shipping. I've gotten it for as low as $23 from Superpharmacy before, so it's worth checking out where it's on sale before you buy. I hope Barbie's stomach settles down quickly and that she stays away from the duck poop. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Spotted Devil said:

ironically my darling Ginny crashed on Sunday with gangrenous mastitis.

OMG!  Poor baby :( Hopefully she & babies are doing OK now ..some more work for you! 

• Like 2

Any improvement yet Snook? A year ago Malcolm developed a sudden intolerance to chicken so the steamed chicken and rice we were giving in hopes of settling his tummy were actually making him worse. Perhaps an intolerance might be something to consider (along with a vet consult of course) if it keeps up? It was the strangest thing as until his old age he had an iron clad stomach.

• Like 1