Patty Fatty

Patty did what Labradors do so easily, she got rounder.  I cut her chow by 1/3.  A bit of her ribcage is now peeking through, but she has a rounding behind and downward from her ribs like as if she were preggers.  She was spayed 3 years ago and hasn't come into season, so I don't think that's the problem. We're going to the vet tomorrow... I expect for an ultrasound.  Curious to know if anyone has seen similar. 

That sounds like a ‘Cushings belly’

of course there could be lots of things but one of the more obvious signs/symptoms of Cushings is a ‘fat’ looking dog but the belly is low and back   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Snook said:

Any news yet @sandgrubber? I've been thinking of you and Patty. 

Suspense. The blood work showed nothing.  The vet took this afternoon off, sigh.  She did an ultrasound yesterday and used it to get a sample of the fluid in her distended belly... The fluid was clear.  I was told the next step is to send it in to look for protein.  Patty is doing much better, though her tummy is still distended.  She went for a short walk this morning and thinks being put on a boiled chicken and rice diet is wonderful.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snook said:

It's good that the blood work didn't show anything though? That must rule out the more dire possibilities? I'm not super clued in to a lot of medical stuff. What is the vet suspecting by looking for protein? I'm so glad to hear that Patty is feeling a bit brighter and loving her change in diet. I hope that eases up some of the stress on you too. It's so bloody hard to see our dogs feeling dreadful on top of not knowing what's wrong. I hope you get some answers soon and that it's something very manageable for your dear girl. 

I don’t know.  Tried reading vet journal articles on fluid in the abdomen.  It's complicated and hard to diagnose the cause.  I dread the possibility of spending months and many hundred dollars on testing and still not having a clear diagnosis (>$300 already and that it just the beginning).  Uncertainty dragging on isn't fun. 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, persephone said:

:) Glad she's enjoying the new diet . 
Snook, AFAIK, protein levels in the blood may point to a kidney problem - which can then possibly explain the leaking of fluid into the abdomen. (disclaimer: not a vet)

She was talking about protein in the aspirated fluid.  I think she meant the serum ascites albumin gradient (SAAG) test, but was trying to avoid jargon. 

• Like 1