Jump to content
sandgrubber

Patty Fatty

12 posts in this topic

Patty did what Labradors do so easily, she got rounder.  I cut her chow by 1/3.  A bit of her ribcage is now peeking through, but she has a rounding behind and downward from her ribs like as if she were preggers.  She was spayed 3 years ago and hasn't come into season, so I don't think that's the problem. We're going to the vet tomorrow... I expect for an ultrasound.  Curious to know if anyone has seen similar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scratch   

That sounds like a ‘Cushings belly’

of course there could be lots of things but one of the more obvious signs/symptoms of Cushings is a ‘fat’ looking dog but the belly is low and back   

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patty's energy level crashed, along with vomiting and diarrhea.  The vet's guess is heart or liver, prognosis poor either way.  Blood tests should tell which. She's looking sad.  I feel terrible and guilty :(.  

  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snook   

I'm so very sorry. That sounds really distressing for you both but I hope you know it's not your fault. You couldn't have known. :(

 

When are you expecting to get the blood test results?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Snook said:

Any news yet @sandgrubber? I've been thinking of you and Patty. 

Suspense. The blood work showed nothing.  The vet took this afternoon off, sigh.  She did an ultrasound yesterday and used it to get a sample of the fluid in her distended belly... The fluid was clear.  I was told the next step is to send it in to look for protein.  Patty is doing much better, though her tummy is still distended.  She went for a short walk this morning and thinks being put on a boiled chicken and rice diet is wonderful.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snook   
33 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

Suspense. The blood work showed nothing.  The vet took this afternoon off, sigh.  She did an ultrasound yesterday and used it to get a sample of the fluid in her distended belly... The fluid was clear.  I was told the next step is to send it in to look for protein.  Patty is doing much better, though her tummy is still distended.  She went for a short walk this morning and thinks being put on a boiled chicken and rice diet is wonderful.  

It's good that the blood work didn't show anything though? That must rule out the more dire possibilities? I'm not super clued in to a lot of medical stuff. What is the vet suspecting by looking for protein? I'm so glad to hear that Patty is feeling a bit brighter and loving her change in diet. I hope that eases up some of the stress on you too. It's so bloody hard to see our dogs feeling dreadful on top of not knowing what's wrong. I hope you get some answers soon and that it's something very manageable for your dear girl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:) Glad she's enjoying the new diet . 
Snook, AFAIK, protein levels in the blood may point to a kidney problem - which can then possibly explain the leaking of fluid into the abdomen. (disclaimer: not a vet)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snook said:

It's good that the blood work didn't show anything though? That must rule out the more dire possibilities? I'm not super clued in to a lot of medical stuff. What is the vet suspecting by looking for protein? I'm so glad to hear that Patty is feeling a bit brighter and loving her change in diet. I hope that eases up some of the stress on you too. It's so bloody hard to see our dogs feeling dreadful on top of not knowing what's wrong. I hope you get some answers soon and that it's something very manageable for your dear girl. 

I don’t know.  Tried reading vet journal articles on fluid in the abdomen.  It's complicated and hard to diagnose the cause.  I dread the possibility of spending months and many hundred dollars on testing and still not having a clear diagnosis (>$300 already and that it just the beginning).  Uncertainty dragging on isn't fun. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, persephone said:

:) Glad she's enjoying the new diet . 
Snook, AFAIK, protein levels in the blood may point to a kidney problem - which can then possibly explain the leaking of fluid into the abdomen. (disclaimer: not a vet)

She was talking about protein in the aspirated fluid.  I think she meant the serum ascites albumin gradient (SAAG) test, but was trying to avoid jargon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snook   
37 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

I don’t know.  Tried reading vet journal articles on fluid in the abdomen.  It's complicated and hard to diagnose the cause.  I dread the possibility of spending months and many hundred dollars on testing and still not having a clear diagnosis (>$300 already and that it just the beginning).  Uncertainty dragging on isn't fun. 

I hope they can work it out quickly and reduce both your stress and the damage to your bank account. Uncertainty is the pits. At least once you've got a diagnosis, whatever that may be, you can start making decisions and planning what to do next. 

 

 

32 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

She was talking about protein in the aspirated fluid.  I think she meant the serum ascites albumin gradient (SAAG) test, but was trying to avoid jargon. 

I googled SAAG test and the results made my non sciencey brain hurt. Do you know how long it might take to get the results once it's sent in for testing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×