Messy Diagnosis & Treatment

36 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

I feel selfish saying so, but it's a relief.  Patty was an excellent bed dog.  Sharing a bed with a seriously ill dog, then worrying through vet appointments, wears you down. 

I know what you mean, @sandgrubber …..  many of us have been there .. sometimes more than once .. I always like to think that our dogs would not want us to feel guilty.  Our good dogs want the best for us, as we do for them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

I feel selfish saying so, but it's a relief.  Patty was an excellent bed dog.  Sharing a bed with a seriously ill dog, then worrying through vet appointments, wears you down. 

I understand SG,  Wee Saffy was sick with cancer in her bones around her sinus, it's so exhausting and worrying with no good outcome in sight and you don't realise how mentally debilitating it is until you have said goodbye.

I am sorry about your dear Patty :flower:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up.  I was immediately left sad by the absence of a warm body and eyes and wagging tail. As time goes on I'm finding the other dogs fill in the gaps. I don't think they are in mourning.  Quite the opposite.  Bonza, Patty's mother, age 10, has been more playful and Yoli, the youngest, has been less naughty. No point interpreting... only to say that there's more to dog society than I can predict. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Follow up.  I was immediately left sad by the absence of a warm body and eyes and wagging tail. As time goes on I'm finding the other dogs fill in the gaps. I don't think they are in mourning.  Quite the opposite.  Bonza, Patty's mother, age 10, has been more playful and Yoli, the youngest, has been less naughty. No point interpreting... only to say that there's more to dog society than I can predict. 

That's a bonus, that the others are doing well.   Yes … just no telling how the animals left behind will deal with the illness and loss of a companion.    But it does make it easier on the human if they're apparently coping fine.