Maremma puppy

Shar290

Hi I'm looking for some help. I know there is a man on here named steve who breeds maremmas, if I'm not mistaken.

My question is what am i doing wrong and how do i fix it.

My partner and I got ourselves a maremma puppy specifically to help us with foxes and our chickens.

She is about 15 weeks old and we have been introducing her slowly to our chickens and they were in there own pen so as not to be harmed during the introduction stage but gradually released them from their pen

Since then she has been great we have had to correct her behaviour occasionally as she would Chase the chickens, but for the past two - three weeks we have allowed them to roam around with her under supervision and she has not tried to harm them.

Until yesterday.....

I came inside to go to the toilet and heard my chickens carry on and I came out and she had one of the chickens on the ground....not hurting it but also not allowing it to move... again corrected her behaviour and then I was watering the lawn and I turned around and she was dragging the chicken  around by it's wing.... 

What have I done wrong as she hasn't tried to hurt them previously and how do i stop her?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I know nothing about marammas, but my dogs I never turn my back on them during the training process. Be it not to chase the chooks, sheep, cattle or horses... or pull the washing off the line.............. if I have to leave, then the pup either comes with me, or goes into a pen until I return. To leave them unattended while still learning the rules, it setting them up to fail..........may seem a drag and seem to be taking sooooo long, but once trained its for life and these weeks/months will be as nothing compared to the years ahead you will enjoy.

The second stage is let them think you have left, but you haven't, you have gone where you can watch unseen..... the second they are naughty...........AND it will happen, just as you have discovered..........you come carrying on like a pork chop...........bad girl/boy!  STOP that immediately..........and they begin to get the idea you have eyes in the back of your head and have the all seeing eye.....some breeds, especially working breeds are bred for initiative remember, I expect they have it in spades too....so they are independent free thinkers remember... its what makes them good at their job...........and outsmart you if your lazy.........remember

That's so disappointing @Shar290 - and such a usual story.  Are you on facebook, there are some Maremma groups that offer some advice and support for new owners.  That is the reason we don't consider a Maremma for our own poultry and foxes continual saga - so many people start a young one off, and they end up fantastic.  But the bit inbetween seems like the 'terrible twos' that some/most toddlers go through.  One friend lost over 100 chickens in a night when the 18 month guard dog went on a spree.  Another's dogs are wonderful with general poultry but always hunt and kill the Guinea Fowl.  I can only agree with Asal about not leaving a pup alone in a situation where it is free to carry through with a bad decision - setting up for failure.  3-4 months is still really a baby - maybe don't give the chickens any free range time until she is a few months older and steadier.

Good luck with her - and a photo or two of the new pup here is pretty much mandatory, as well as her name.

• Like 1

Thankyou everyone. I will not give up on her. This is our girl khaleesi on her very first day at home. Never uploaded a photo before so hopefully it works

20200131_132733.jpg

Edited by Shar290
  • Like 7

The facebook group Learning about LGD's is quite good, I would suggest joining there. I do have to ask if you are wanting your dog to stay with the poultry or be a housepet? As it's typically advised to keep the pups with the stock in a pen for both their protection. Otherwise it can interfere with the bonding process at 15 weeks she is still quite young, usually depending on breed and lines it can take up to 2 years to get a good LGD.

Either way, check out the facebook group mentioned they are a wealth of information.

--Lhok

• Like 3