Am I being unreasonable?

Three months ago, my 14 year old border collie was diagnosed with heart failure and prescribed Cardisure. The medication price - $386 for 3 months supply - was a shock, but I didn’t see any other option. I phoned last week to order another box of Cardisure and was told they had it on the shelf waiting for me. I collected it and paid another $386.

I was looking up information on Cardisure this morning when I saw an ad from an on-line pharmacy - same manufacturer, same packaging, same 10 mg dosage, same number of tablets (100). The price was $185.

I understand that vets have overhead costs to cover but more than doubling the counter price of an already expensive medication doesn’t seem reasonable to me. What do you think?

Yep most vets don't stock large quantities ,many will give a script to buy elsewhere as its better value for vets as well .
Some will do a script ,some won't may mean you need to find another vet .Maybe phone other clinics in your area to see if the prices are comparable.
Mind you many google & see things cheaper but postage is a killer ,it comes down to weighing up the pros/cons & buying smart

• Like 1

There's no shame in being open with your vet about price.  I'm not a vet, but if I were, I'd much rather have price issues put to my face (politely) than discussed behind my back. I doubt vets make much profit on meds because it costs a lot to hold inventory when you buy in small lots and have to toss stuff that goes out of date. 

• Like 3

I think it’s a combination of vets can’t buy in bulk so they don’t get it as cheap. I believe the companies themselves have a lot to answer for. I had the same problem last year spending  $240 per fortnight on insulin for my diabetic dog. The company that supplied the insulin had over a 200 percent mark up per tiny vial to supply it in Australia. Unfortunately their is no regulation 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Jumabaar said:

As a Veterinarian, I also buy some of my own dog's meds from the chemist. They are selling them for less than I can get WHOLESALE!! 

Oh how lucky are you.  And you can write out your own script. 

Edited by twodoggies2001
question mark not appropriate
  • Like 2