Snook

Food suggestions needed to add variety

44 posts in this topic

Scratch   

my cats who are 99% raw fed, do enjoy maybe 2x a week, a tiny amount of cat kibble. They get about 10 little bits each. They go mental for it like I have a bag of crack cat cocaine! I can live with them getting a little bit of commercial food. It makes them happy which makes me happy! 
so if Justice can deal with commercial foods, And there are some he likes, would it hurt to give him a little bit? Whether that is kibble, wet or semi moist. 

• Like 3

That's interesting about the Prime 100 rolls.  I've been using them for at least a year without any problems.  Can you point me in the direction of the reviews please?

• Like 3

Snook   
2 hours ago, Scratch said:

my cats who are 99% raw fed, do enjoy maybe 2x a week, a tiny amount of cat kibble. They get about 10 little bits each. They go mental for it like I have a bag of crack cat cocaine! I can live with them getting a little bit of commercial food. It makes them happy which makes me happy! 
so if Justice can deal with commercial foods, And there are some he likes, would it hurt to give him a little bit? Whether that is kibble, wet or semi moist. 

Justice is fine on Royal Canin kibble but I'm not a fan of the ingredients. He gets dry, flaky skin on Blackhawk and gradually got softer and softer stools over time on Taste of the Wild. We haven't tried any others that I can recall. I'd prefer not to put him back on kibble, even though I realise half a cup two or three times a week wouldn't kill him. 

2 hours ago, jemappelle said:

That's interesting about the Prime 100 rolls.  I've been using them for at least a year without any problems.  Can you point me in the direction of the reviews please?

There are some on here and one is as recently as 2 months ago https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/prime-sk-d200-kangaroo-and-potato

This Facebook post from a couple of years ago talks about the plastic issue and some of the comments on the post mention bone shards https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1871894782849526&id=754957031209979

Reviews on this store talk about bone shards https://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/prime-skd-kangaroo-and-pumpkin-2kg-roll~-p-26558

Thanks Snook.  As I said, I haven't had any problems but I only feed the kangaroo with pumpkin and the salmon with tapioca varieties.  I wonder if the bone is found in the chicken/beef varieties?

• Like 1

Snook   
1 hour ago, jemappelle said:

Thanks Snook.  As I said, I haven't had any problems but I only feed the kangaroo with pumpkin and the salmon with tapioca varieties.  I wonder if the bone is found in the chicken/beef varieties?

The reviews on that last link are for the kangaroo and pumpkin one, so it looks like it's not just chicken and beef. It might only happen randomly and not in all rolls but it's not worth the risk for me, plus the animal tags thing meaning they don't use human grade meat, even if their quality control is better than it was a couple of years ago. 

Tassie   

Sounds like Justice is doing fine now …. thank goodness.   I'm still playing round with my guys … but while I'm not putting them back on their Big Dog Barf just yet, I am giving them this air dried meat  from New Zealand.  Although it has bones in the mix, it comes as semi moist flakes, so absolutely no shards or anything.   I was using it as treats .. but there was a special on the bigger packs, and I'm using it now as a transition back to their normal diet.  They have it with pumpkin and yoghurt.

• Like 1

Royal Canin ingredient lists are interesting. If you call them up they’ll tell you exactly what is in a product. If they wrote out the ingredients individually, for example naming the meat and organs that go into “meat and animal derivatives”, it would look fancier and I think the internet would have a different opinion.

• Like 2

Snook   
3 hours ago, Tassie said:

Sounds like Justice is doing fine now …. thank goodness.   I'm still playing round with my guys … but while I'm not putting them back on their Big Dog Barf just yet, I am giving them this air dried meat  from New Zealand.  Although it has bones in the mix, it comes as semi moist flakes, so absolutely no shards or anything.   I was using it as treats .. but there was a special on the bigger packs, and I'm using it now as a transition back to their normal diet.  They have it with pumpkin and yoghurt.

I tried this air dried one before I tried the Big Dog BARF and I didn't like the smell or consistency once rehydrated and ended up giving most of the bag away, so I'm not super keen on another trying a different air dried food. I'm glad it's working out well for your dogs with the pumpkin and yoghurt though.:)

https://www.balancedlifepet.com.au/rehydrate/

1 hour ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Royal Canin ingredient lists are interesting. If you call them up they’ll tell you exactly what is in a product. If they wrote out the ingredients individually, for example naming the meat and organs that go into “meat and animal derivatives”, it would look fancier and I think the internet would have a different opinion.

Oh, that's quite interesting. I wonder why they don't list the ingredients in a way that looks better for them? 

I'm a fan of buying those "freeze dried" dog foods and scattering them as novel seasoning onto food. They come in all sorts, but that tripe is the favourite in our house (smells in the warm weather though) :laugh:

I don't rehydrate them, I just scatter them on and use as light weight bonus treats.

Edited by Two Best Dogs!
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Two Best Dogs! said:

those "freeze dried" dog foods and scattering them as novel seasoning onto food

That sounds a great way of introducing something different , safely and easily :)

• Like 1

Snook   
16 hours ago, Two Best Dogs! said:

I'm a fan of buying those "freeze dried" dog foods and scattering them as novel seasoning onto food. They come in all sorts, but that tripe is the favourite in our house (smells in the warm weather though) :laugh:

I don't rehydrate them, I just scatter them on and use as light weight bonus treats.

That's a good way to use them. 

Tassie   
20 hours ago, Snook said:

I tried this air dried one before I tried the Big Dog BARF and I didn't like the smell or consistency once rehydrated and ended up giving most of the bag away, so I'm not super keen on another trying a different air dried food. I'm glad it's working out well for your dogs with the pumpkin and yoghurt though.:)

https://www.balancedlifepet.com.au/rehydrate/

Oh .. you just sent me to the instructions @Snook…. I have been feeding the Providore straight out of the back ..but all is good .. that's how it's meant to be fed (phew).    They do have yoghurt with their meals, and at the moment, the mashed pumpkin, so there is moisture there.

• Like 1

Snook   
3 hours ago, Tassie said:

Oh .. you just sent me to the instructions @Snook…. I have been feeding the Providore straight out of the back ..but all is good .. that's how it's meant to be fed (phew).    They do have yoghurt with their meals, and at the moment, the mashed pumpkin, so there is moisture there.

When I got the other one for Justice I was mixing it with warm water to rehydrate it and wasn't a fan. It sounds like the way you're doing it is working well for your guys. :)

• Like 1

Tassie   
35 minutes ago, Snook said:

When I got the other one for Justice I was mixing it with warm water to rehydrate it and wasn't a fan. It sounds like the way you're doing it is working well for your guys. :)

Fingers crossed ..Now if only I could explain to them about the little green apples that the birds are still knocking off the apple trees.

• Like 1

Snook   
20 hours ago, Tassie said:

Fingers crossed ..Now if only I could explain to them about the little green apples that the birds are still knocking off the apple trees.

I'm sure you've probably thought of this but is there any way of putting some kind of boundary.. Maybe chicken wire.. Around the tree area to limit how many of the apples they can get to? 

• Like 1

Dogsfevr   

We gave up feeding prime chicken roll as the rice was never cooked enough & was very sharp ,despite contacting them multi times they werent interested ,it would cut us when slicing up .

Have you considered goat meat also if you look at the baby aisle many of the soft baby foods are fine to add & a number do organic vegetables only ,cheap & so simple to add just read the back .
We have used the Blueberries,banana & pear,pumpkin,sweet potato  & a few others ,They are way healthier than many other options & depending on the number of dogs owned work out better than buying dodgy vegies or having too much vegie that goes off

Vege wise if you look at the human meat section (woolies certainly) you will see pre made vegie mixies for stir frys,one in particular is used by many raw feeders .

We blizt our vegies in the blender so its finely chopped ,so simple & easy .
We also add blueberries

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 2

Tassie   
20 hours ago, Snook said:

I'm sure you've probably thought of this but is there any way of putting some kind of boundary.. Maybe chicken wire.. Around the tree area to limit how many of the apples they can get to? 

I could, @Snook, but it would be a bit awkward … and I don't really want to exclude the pademelons … they do a great job of mowing the grass, and also cleaning up the little apples … but of course only in the evenings and when it's dark.   I caught my naughty little BC girl pulling a little green apple off the tree this morning .. she didn't get to enjoy the fruits of her labour .. swapped it for a treat :rofl:.

• Like 2

Snook   
20 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

We gave up feeding prime chicken roll as the rice was never cooked enough & was very sharp ,despite contacting them multi times they werent interested ,it would cut us when slicing up .

Have you considered goat meat also if you look at the baby aisle many of the soft baby foods are fine to add & a number do organic vegetables only ,cheap & so simple to add just read the back .
We have used the Blueberries,banana & pear,pumpkin,sweet potato .

Vege wise if you look at the human meat section (woolies certainly) you will see pre made vegie mixies for stir frys,one in particular is used by many raw feeders .

We blizt our vegies in the blender so its finely chopped ,so simple & easy .
We also add blueberries

Wow. It's amazing that they can't even cook the rice properly and weren't interested in fixing the problem. It sounds like a good brand to avoid for several reasons! 

No, goat meat hadn't occurred to me at all. Thanks for the baby food suggestion as that's also something that hasn't occurred to me. I've seen the veggie mixes and considered them for Justice but I'm not sure how they'd go being cooked and mashed together, as doing that and stirring yoghurt through with the squash recently, has been the only way I've ever been able to get Justice to eat vegetables. I still laugh about the day he was doing his usual Jedi mind tricks and had gotten my mother to hand over all the meat and cheese from her Subway roll (she's always been a massive sucker when it comes to him and he knew it.) She had salad left on the plate afterwards and he was still staring and drooling and she asked if she could give it to him. I told her he wouldn't like it but she didn't listen and let him hoover up all the veggies. Once it was in his mouth he realised what it was and spat it back out, all over her. :rofl:

29 minutes ago, Tassie said:

I could, @Snook, but it would be a bit awkward … and I don't really want to exclude the pademelons … they do a great job of mowing the grass, and also cleaning up the little apples … but of course only in the evenings and when it's dark.   I caught my naughty little BC girl pulling a little green apple off the tree this morning .. she didn't get to enjoy the fruits of her labour .. swapped it for a treat :rofl:.

Oh, the naughty little monkey! :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

[email protected] Justice & the burger salad !! 

the baby food varieties will have your head spinning! 

I am smiling at Snook with her notebook & chef's apron on ...concocting all these tasty & appropriate meals from so many sources (sauces) :P 

Justice is very well catered for !! :love: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scratch   

Baby food is great! I eat it as snacks myself because it usually has no added anything, unlike packaged food for adults. 
I hate, loathe, salt and find baby foods deliciously un salty. I also don’t know why packaged foods for adults has to have added sugar, or be artificially sweetened instead of genuinely no added sugar, another reason I like baby foods! I don’t understand why I can’t buy them in adult servings lol.

Im probably the only person that buys the  ‘no added salt’ tinned soup and baked beans! 
recently I bought one of those ‘no added sugar’ Feel Good ice coffee drinks. I was looking forward to having an unsweetened commercial milk drink on the run, but turns out it’s actually got loads of artificial sweetener in place of not adding actual sugar. I nearly spat out my first mouthful as it was so freaking sweet! I couldn’t finish it..... seems folks are addicted to sweet and salty. Oops a bit OT 

• Like 2