Snook

Food suggestions needed to add variety

44 posts in this topic

Snook   

Justice's diet consists of half a Big Dog BARF Patty for breakfast. Two nights a week he has the other half of the BARF Patty plus yoghurt and an egg, and two nights he has the other half of the BARF Patty plus yoghurt and a tin of sardines. 

Two nights a week he would have a turkey neck and one night a week he would have a lamb neck. Bones of any kind are completely off the menu for him after getting shards lodged in his intestines recently but I'm struggling to think of things to replace them with.. either as a whole meal or something I can combine with half a BARF Patty.

I'd prefer it to be fresh food if possible rather than commercially made dog food products. Roo gives him diarrhoea and he didn't really like whole organs when I tried him with them a while ago. I could maybe do some cooked veggies mashed up with yoghurt through them, as he seemed to enjoy the butternut squash he's been having that way to help get his stools back to normal (he's always refused vegetables in the past but the tip a DOLer gave me about mixing in the yoghurt did the trick), and pair that with some of his BARF but I'd love some other ideas. :)

Rebanne   

does he need variety or do you want him to have variety? cause my dogs don't care what they get as long as they get fed. :laugh:

What about a chicken breast fillet or thigh?

• Like 3

Snook   

I guess I was thinking more about nutritional variety than anything else, as I'm not sure it's great for him to have too many sardines or eggs every week. He was thrilled with a diet of roast chicken and rice three times a day for a couple of weeks, then chicken and butternut squash with yoghurt twice a day for almost a week lol, so I'm pretty sure he'll happily scoff down the same thing every day. :laugh:  

That's an idea.. I could just choose a couple of different boneless meats to give him to fill in the nights in between the eggs and sardines. 

• Like 2

Scratch   

Cottage cheese is good.  It’s a pre digested cheese so doesn’t usually cause belly issues. 

and tinned tuna and tinned salmon would add variety. 

• Like 1

Snook   
7 minutes ago, The Spotted Devil said:

Minced frames are great! Eggs are a great source of protein. Sardines/salmon I limit to once per week. 

Thank you. I'll ask around and see if I can find anywhere that does minced frames. :)

• Like 1

Snook   
Just now, Scratch said:

Cottage cheese is good.  It’s a pre digested cheese so doesn’t usually cause belly issues. 

and tinned tuna and tinned salmon would add variety. 

I didn't know dogs could eat cottage cheese. I think it's gross but then he eats a lot of things I think are gross.. lol. I tried him with mackerel once and he didn't much like it but he's always trying to score my tuna when I have it and I'm sure he'd like salmon too. Thanks for the suggestions. 

• Like 1

our butcher does a pet mince which is just minced frames .It's what I start our baby pups on . 

• Like 2

Snook   
14 hours ago, persephone said:

our butcher does a pet mince which is just minced frames .It's what I start our baby pups on . 

Thank you. I'll contact some local butchers during the week. :)

• Like 1

Scratch   
On 01/02/2020 at 6:29 PM, Snook said:

I didn't know dogs could eat cottage cheese. I think it's gross but then he eats a lot of things I think are gross.. lol. I tried him with mackerel once and he didn't much like it but he's always trying to score my tuna when I have it and I'm sure he'd like salmon too. Thanks for the suggestions. 

Yeah I’m not a big cottage cheese fan. It’s a texture thing for me. I reckon it’s about the texture of chunky vomit lol! 

anyway, these days as a cat owner who raw feeds, I’ve gotten more creative than ever.

one thing the cats love is a whole cooked peeled prawn. They’re not as expensive as you might think when only buying 4 or 5. The cats also love love love the chicken giblets, chicken hearts & chicken liver that I usually get from supermarket. 

you can but canned prawns and canned crab meat at Coles but it’s usually in brine not water, so I drain and rinse well. 

• Like 2

Snook   
1 hour ago, Scratch said:

Yeah I’m not a big cottage cheese fan. It’s a texture thing for me. I reckon it’s about the texture of chunky vomit lol! 

anyway, these days as a cat owner who raw feeds, I’ve gotten more creative than ever.

one thing the cats love is a whole cooked peeled prawn. They’re not as expensive as you might think when only buying 4 or 5. The cats also love love love the chicken giblets, chicken hearts & chicken liver that I usually get from supermarket. 

you can but canned prawns and canned crab meat at Coles but it’s usually in brine not water, so I drain and rinse well. 

Chunky vomit is an excellent description lol. I don't suppose you can buy the prawns already cooked and peeled? I'm so squeamish with animal products. I'm dreading cutting up the chicken things I bought for Justice yesterday but the only ones they had were on the bone, so I can't give them to him whole. He loved the tinned salmon I gave him with his BARF tonight. I saw packets of chicken organs when I was getting the thighs but he didn't much like them whole when I tried that and there's no way in hell I'm cutting up organs to mix them with something else (I even refused to dissect a liver in biology class in high school, so squeamish has been a life long thing I'm afraid.) Tinned prawns and crab meat I can do though and rinse them off. For some reason tinned stuff doesn't make me want to hurl when I'm dealing with it. 

Yes you can buy cooked, peeled prawns in supermarket freezers.  You can also purchase raw, peeled prawns.  If you're happy with some cooked food, my dogs love the Prime100 rolls, especially the salmon variety.

• Like 1

Snook   
4 hours ago, jemappelle said:

Yes you can buy cooked, peeled prawns in supermarket freezers.  You can also purchase raw, peeled prawns.  If you're happy with some cooked food, my dogs love the Prime100 rolls, especially the salmon variety.

Thanks so much for the prawn information. I'll look in to the Prime rolls. I've always been a bit wary of the rolls as the ones I've seen in the supermarket don't look much better than tinned food but I haven't checked out the Prime ones before. 

• Like 1

leac1801   

The Prime rolls are way better quality than the supermarket ones. 

What about something like stuffed trachea ? I’ve bought salmon stuffed beef trachea from a raw supplier for when we had a week of 40 odd degrees, and Atlas had them frozen. I’ve also stuffed the rabbit patties in a venison trachea I had from a beast I got part of. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, leac1801 said:

Atlas had them frozen.

A nice bit of chewing :)

• Like 1

Snook   
8 hours ago, leac1801 said:

The Prime rolls are way better quality than the supermarket ones. 

What about something like stuffed trachea ? I’ve bought salmon stuffed beef trachea from a raw supplier for when we had a week of 40 odd degrees, and Atlas had them frozen. I’ve also stuffed the rabbit patties in a venison trachea I had from a beast I got part of. 

I'm going to have a look at the Prime rolls today. I want to keep him primarily on his BARF as he does so well on it and it cleared up his flaky skin that other dietary changes weren't fixing, but it would be good to have something easy to supplement that with. Cutting up the chicken thighs last night was disgusting and won't be happening again lol.

The stuffed trachea is a good idea if I can find them already made up (if cutting chicken thighs was that traumatic, stuffing trachea myself isn't going to happen :laugh:). I'm pretty sure I know of one pet food store that does them but I'm also aware of poor food handling practices there and dogs getting sick as a result, so will have to do some asking around for somewhere that can be trusted. Unfortunately, Justice doesn't like frozen food and just buries it until it thaws out.. *insert eye roll* so I won't be able to feed them frozen but I'm sure he'd love them thawed out. :)

9 minutes ago, Snook said:

I'm going to have a look at the Prime rolls today. I want to keep him primarily on his BARF as he does so well on it and it cleared up his flaky skin that other dietary changes weren't fixing, but it would be good to have something easy to supplement that with. Cutting up the chicken thighs last night was disgusting and won't be happening again lol.

The stuffed trachea is a good idea if I can find them already made up (if cutting chicken thighs was that traumatic, stuffing trachea myself isn't going to happen :laugh:). I'm pretty sure I know of one pet food store that does them but I'm also aware of poor food handling practices there and dogs getting sick as a result, so will have to do some asking around for somewhere that can be trusted. Unfortunately, Justice doesn't like frozen food and just buries it until it thaws out.. *insert eye roll* so I won't be able to feed them frozen but I'm sure he'd love them thawed out. :)

I use the dried tracheas for Hailey (Wag brand), and stuff them with mince, liver worst, mince with veggies mixed in, mince with sardines or salmon mixed in. I try not to use too wet a mix so that it stays in the tube and doesn't fall out. Hailey loves one for breakfast. She spends time trying to lick the fulling out, then chews the moo tube. Good luck

• Like 1

Snook   
1 hour ago, grumpette said:

I use the dried tracheas for Hailey (Wag brand), and stuff them with mince, liver worst, mince with veggies mixed in, mince with sardines or salmon mixed in. I try not to use too wet a mix so that it stays in the tube and doesn't fall out. Hailey loves one for breakfast. She spends time trying to lick the fulling out, then chews the moo tube. Good luck

Thanks for the suggestion. Stuffing dried trachea might be less disturbing for me than stuffing a fresh one. It would be good for Justice to have something that takes him a bit longer to eat. 

I stopped at the local butcher when I was popping in to the supermarket just now and asked about minced chicken frames, as all they had on display for pets were marrow bones. They have 1kg bags of them for $2.50. As it was already frozen they cut a bag up with their band saw for me to make it easier and let me know which day they mince the frames each week, so that I can call ahead and arrange for an unfrozen batch to bag up in smaller portions. That could be a good product for stuffing a trachea too. :)

• Like 3

I'd be all conservative after what he/you went through and stick to the roast chicken meat and rice.  (And not/not minced frames: I'd totally run a mile from anything with bones it it, minced or in any other way).  Add some vitamin/mineral supplement like Anitone rather than extra food-types of this or that.  If he does good on the chicken/rice I'd be very "if it's not broke, don't fix it".  If he likes the pumpkin - butternut or any kind - cook some with you meal, and serve onto your plate.  Then give it to him.  He'll think he's being given people-food, great joy.

• Like 3

Snook   
28 minutes ago, PossumCorner said:

I'd be all conservative after what he/you went through and stick to the roast chicken meat and rice.  (And not/not minced frames: I'd totally run a mile from anything with bones it it, minced or in any other way).  Add some vitamin/mineral supplement like Anitone rather than extra food-types of this or that.  If he does good on the chicken/rice I'd be very "if it's not broke, don't fix it".  If he likes the pumpkin - butternut or any kind - cook some with you meal, and serve onto your plate.  Then give it to him.  He'll think he's being given people-food, great joy.

Justice was fully weaned off of the roast chicken and butternut squash a few days ago and is doing really well back on the Big Dog BARF with yoghurt and either sardines, salmon, or an egg. He also did well on the raw chicken thighs and his stools are back to normal. I don't think a diet of chicken and rice/squash would be terribly good nutritionally for him long term? He wasn't doing great on the rice and had very soft, elongated, blob like stools until the rice was swapped for the squash but has transitioned really well by moving slowly from that to his regular diet. :)

I am being careful about what I add in though and appreciate your advice. I actually threw out the minced chicken frames tonight after I mentioned them to my aunty and she said one of her dogs had bloody stools from minced frames, possibly from tears caused by bone that wasn't broken up properly. I had intended to sift through the mince before I gave any to Justice and check it out thoroughly first but after chatting with my aunty, decided to scrap the idea completely. 

I've also just been searching through reviews of the Prime 100 rolls and have found multiple complaints about bone shards in them, along with pieces of plastic tags from dead animals. The bone shards would have stopped me in my tracks anyway, but the animal tags also mean they're not made from human grade meat and it seems like they've had quality control issues during at least one point in time, for the plastic to make it through the process. 

After ditching the idea of both the minced frames and the Prime rolls earlier tonight, I'd decided to just stick with his BARF, sardines, salmon, eggs, yoghurt combo and I'll give him human grade raw meat like the chicken thighs (bone free of course) a couple of times a week. He gets a probiotic powder every morning and in a couple of weeks I'll add in Antinol in place of the 4cyte he was getting before he got sick. I appreciate your comments as it's completely reinforced my decision to stick to what he knows and what I'm already seeing him do well on, instead of continuing to look for ways to add more variety. 

• Like 2