Can mosquitos make a dog itchy.

Kazm

I was wondering can mosquitos make a dog itchy just like humans? We have a lot here at present. Tiny little buggers. We do not have water in containers or anything where water can sit but we do have a lot of palm trees etc where they like to hide. We can’t seem to go outside without them hanging around. And yes we do have bug zappers etc. I know they can cause heart worm etc and we are all covered for that but I was wondering if they were also a factor in why Molly is itchy. We cleared up the itchiness she had and I stopped all medication but just the last week she has started scratching again but it is only at times and on random places of her body. For example sometimes  it’s her leg, or her butt or her belly. Not really the same place and not all the time like before the medication.  She will have a mad scratch session and then she’s totally calm for hours. And it’s also when I noticed we had so many tiny mosquitos. I can’t see any bites on her though. Just wondering.

Edited by Kazm

Are you sure they are mozzies?  I have a severe allergy to sandfly bites - the tiny black ones that can appear in clouds of thousands of an evening when temperature/humidity are right for them.  Just one of the ponies is also allergic to them and comes out in awful lumps like hives all over.  (Yet most other people/animals don't even feel them biting). 

• Like 1

@PossumCornerpositive they are mozzies. I’ve killed enough of them as they do love my blood. I always react to them and any other little biting bug. We actually camped recently at a place slightly up north and the sandflies were terrible. Despite sprays, coils and everything else I came home looking like I had the plague. Molly camped with us and never scratched at all. Obviously sandflies do not affect her but I still wonder if the mozzies do. Although at the moment she seems to be ok again. 

Some cases may cause an itch but not that much, if the itches persists then you should let the vet see it. After that make sure that you have disinfected your home and your bathroom to avoid not just mosquitos but also any virus. Have it a try to check Self Cleaning Toilets for we all know this insect stays on the water. Prevention is better that cure.

Edited by Buccaneer

9 hours ago, tissamiller said:

it might be because of flea and tick check your dog carefully if needed buy bravacto for treatment from any online stores like vetsupply , petstock , pet circle 

Definitely not fleas or ticks. At this time of the year I use Bravecto anyway. We’ve had a few ticks in our area in previous years and we also do a lot of bush camping. She is protected in that way.