Introducing Cassie (kelpie)

Rascalmyshadow

I thought I would introduce Cassie  and ask a couple of questions at the same time.

D001DB89-4343-41C3-8301-7FD7EBABE2B2.jpeg.5dd0213125b2ffba9f58723a1a1835ea.jpeg

Cassie a week after we got her.

D63F8A5A-8D91-4BC3-88F1-2927D6CF7693.jpeg.b4ef6268ff8168977f507c3085819aee.jpeg

Abby and Cassie, best friends.

We took Cassie in when she was just under 8 weeks old, covered in filth, fleas and full of worms.

Her Mum was a working kelpie and dad was kelpie/border collie mix (not much border collie) she is now 6 months old.

While I am far from a novice dog owner, I am new to owning this type of dog.

First question is it a breed thing to want to be in your face, she is constantly jumping at our faces, not to nip but just lick, she will sit as close to me as possible staring and not moving until she gets eye contact then will launch and do the same thing, if I’m sitting down she will jump from behind, wrap her paws around my neck so she can nibble my ears and lick my face.

We are teaching her self control but at the moment she can’t always contain herself.

Other question, I am interested in getting her in to either Flyball or Discdog (once I have physically recovered) I know a couple of places for Flyball but can anyone tell me where Discdog training/clubs are in Victoria.

Oh and any other advice from those experienced with the breed is welcome.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow
  • Like 2

I don't own a Kelpie or working breed mix dog, but I have been advised once or twice, that some Kelpies seem to need to have a "job" to do... something that keeps them mentally and physically stimulated... possibly why so many urban Kelpies can be a little ball obsessed - that is their "job"...

T.

I know they do like to have a job to do but she’s not at all over the top, happy to have a game or play with Abby for a while (we are on a well planted acre and we go to the park/botanic gardens) they get heaps of bones, pigs ears etc to chew and they both tear around with my 4 year old daughter, besides that she’s happy to chill out with us on the bed or couch.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rascalmyshadow said:

she is constantly jumping at our faces, not to nip but just lick, she will sit as close to me as possible staring and not moving until she gets eye contact then will launch and do the same thing, if I’m sitting down she will jump from behind, wrap her paws around my neck so she can nibble my ears and lick my face.

LOL..she sounds like our latest ratbag , BB (black bitch) koolie pup ... she does a similar thing  ! BB will be a great 'eye/yard dog ' MAYBE  by the way she behaves generally ..so hope your gorgeous Cassie will be a star at doing whichever sport takes her fancy! 

• Like 2

Cassie sounds like a sweetie .. lots of fun ahead.   Don't know about Kelpies, but the face thing is pretty strong in Border Collies … prime example being my Miss BSC (Batshit Crazy).  Many BCs do like to get near faces, and lick them.   They can be quite tricky .. they'll sit there for a greeting, all innocent and sweet, and then they can't help themselves .. they launch the Birmingham Kiss. .. headbutting as they attempt to get a face lick in :rofl::rofl:.

There is a Canine Disc Association of Australia   .. seems to be mostly a Queensland thing, but I think they are trying to get it going in other areas .. there are a couple of people coming down to Tassie this weekend I think. Might be worth contacting them .. they'd know what's available in Victoria.

Treibball is another possibility .. not sure if there are clubs doing it, but I could probably find out.

• Like 1