Are people that are not registered with ANKC considered not ethical and irresponsible breeders?

JacobScollies

I am looking to buy a puppy, but after all the horror stories I hear I am very confused as to where the heck to start! Can someone help me answer the question to "Are people that are not registered with ANKC considered not ethical and responsible breeders?" 

I have friends that have bought from a few like AAPDB, or MDBA and they are loving it - but as I look into research, there are few that are saying steer clear and others that are saying it's fine (like my friends). Everything is all so confusing, so may you explain in it simpleton laymen terms. I am trying my best to do a lot of research into this before I buy a pup, to save myself of financial and emotional heartache.

Thanks guys.

Edited by JacobScollies

If you say the breed you'll get an idea of what kind of health testing a breed needs and what to look out for. :)  No matter what you choose, if you're looking for a companion then health and soundness is your priority IMHO.

I'm staying out of the hotly debated registry issue but I always recommend people check the Dol list of registered ANKC breeders. 

• Like 4

Ethical & responsible breeders can be found in any breeding arena, just as non ethical & irresponsible breeders can be found in any breeding arena. No registry on its own can guarantee quality breeding or ethical behaviour. It is up to you as a consumer to understand what the different registries bring to the table regarding breeding practices and health testing etc, and then make sure you are satisfied that the breeder in question meets the requirements of their registry, and complies with the animal welfare act. You can ask for breeder registration numbers and call the registry to authenticate their registration, and choose to either report or walk away from environments and practices that don’t match your expectations. 

Edited by Scratch
  • Like 3

Also, it does depend a bit on what breed or type of dog you are looking for. The ANKC deals with a certain widely recognised breeds.

other registries deal with certain types that are not ANKC recognised, such as Murray River Retriever, Cobberdog, Koolie etc. if you are looking for some of the increasingly popular ‘designer’ dogs like Cavoodle or Labradoodle, then breeders who are attached to a registry may be a better bet than those not attached to any registry, but that’s not guaranteed.

If you’re looking for a ‘frug’ or a ‘moodle’ then really all you can do is make sure you meet the parents and look at the environment, and ask a lot of questions. 
ANY puppy from ANYWHERE should be at least 8 weeks old, and have paperwork verifying it has had a vaccination, and should be microchipped. If those things aren’t in place, run a mile! 

• Like 4