New puppy barking/whining outside during the day

Hi all, we just adopted an 8 week old Bandog cross three days ago. We have an older, 7 year old dog, who we thought he would feel comfort from having around with him outside. As it turns out, our puppy seems to have some strong separation anxiety with us humans, and having our older dog with him seems to not make a difference for him. I've been home and had the two outside, and the puppy has intermittently barked (VERY loudly I might add) and whined at the back window or door. I've done a trial run of going down to get groceries today for a max of an hour, and came home to him whining and barking when I got out of the car (prior to opening the gate), so I'm unsure if he carried on while I was out (god I hope not!). Please enlighten me on best course of action to fix this problem. He sleeps quietly in his crate, in our bedroom, at night. I need to find a solution I know will work prior to (or over the next week or so) Friday (three days away) when I go back to work. N.B. I only work two full days a week, other days I'm home with our toddler. Also, he doesn't seem to understand the idea of if he walks around a corner, he'll find us there. Instead he sits and whines/barks.

Hi.Welcome to you & your dog family  :)
your BABY PUPPY does not have separation anxiety.
He is just plain lonely and in need of comfort ..he is a baby. 

has his hearing been tested? Eyesight? perhaps he is having some trouble "knowing" where you actually are ? 

• Like 1

Thank you. This is my first puppy (adopted my other dog from a rescue when he was a few months older), so am new to understanding what's in the norm for a puppy and what's not. He had a vet check at 6 weeks, but I'm unsure whether they test these then. Will be sure to ask at his next appointment.

It's early days yet.  Do you spend a lot of time outside, playing with him so that he is used to the yard and sees it as a nice place where fun things happen?  Also, to check if he settles after you leave, drive around the block and quietly stop outside the neighbour's house where he can't see you.  I've even parked the car a few houses away and quietly gone in the front door when neighbours were complaining about mine barking, to spy on them.  lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not enough time outside, no. I don't have a lot of shade though, so play space that's in the shade for my son is limited to early mornings and late afternoons. Otherwise we've only got the front and back patios. 

I love that idea! I will definitely try that next we go out. 

• 1 month later...

The reason your dog’s whining is to get your attention, giving your dog attention enforces that whining gets them what they want. So you can Ignore them. At first, you leaving will only make the whining get louder. In other words, it’s going to be torture for you, but if you want this behavior stopped, you need to power through. After a while, your dog will learn that whining doesn’t work and resort to other attention-getting tactics. 
Resist yelling. In fact, if your dog’s whining is caused by anxiety, yelling will only increase the amount of whining. Honestly, yelling at your dog is never the solution; so, resist the urge as much as humanly possible.
Praise calm behavior or Get your dog to sit
Hopefully, these tactics will be less annoying! 

Edited by jillyrubyjane