Yet to ask a vet, but maybe you could tell me if this will change with growth?

This is our 8 week old Bandog cross. He has mastiff and American bulldog in his breeding. He has a droop in his right lower eye lid, and I have read that it's common in juvenile mastiff types, which would later amend itself as the pup grows, and I guess the skin tightens? He and his littermates dug "tunnels" in the breeder's garden, so it could also be damage from getting caught somewhere maybe? I'm just worried about how it'll affect him down the track. Maybe it's just more pink flesh instead of black flesh like that in his left eye? (Clearly a newbie here with the mastiff breed).

20200317_214254.jpg

16 hours ago, tropics.1491 said:

This is our 8 week old Bandog cross. He has mastiff and American bulldog in his breeding. He has a droop in his right lower eye lid, and I have read that it's common in juvenile mastiff types, which would later amend itself as the pup grows, and I guess the skin tightens? He and his littermates dug "tunnels" in the breeder's garden, so it could also be damage from getting caught somewhere maybe? I'm just worried about how it'll affect him down the track. Maybe it's just more pink flesh instead of black flesh like that in his left eye? (Clearly a newbie here with the mastiff breed).

20200317_214254.jpg

I'd be taking this gorgeous pup to the vet (good to get a check up right after buying a puppy/dog, get advice on vaccinations etc)...this condition can dry out crucial parts of the eye, so he may need drops etc,  best to get him off to the vet to be checked out.  Bit more about the condition HERE

Have just done some research and looked at an old photo of his dad - he's got it too, same eye. I think for anyone not knowledgeable with this condition they would think it's typical loose skin on a mastiff. I don't think that the breeders even know the dad has it. Thank you all for your comments! Will find a vet we like and have him seen to.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, just an update - so had a vet see him today, and I said I thought he had ectropian, but what he described was entropion, where the eyelids go inwards. After we cleared that up, it sounds like he thinks it might get better when he gets older, and if I want, there's a $5 product at the chemist (forgotten the name already, blame being ill) for humans that he said will help him if need be. He said I'd need to say it was for my son, it's to help with things like conjunctivitis. Otherwise, if we were to desex him, to get the surgery done to fix the eye (if we wish) when he gets desexed, sooner rather than later.

Sounds like he's advising Chlorsig ointment, a mild antibiotic in a thick moisturising base. Does that name sound familiar? It's a behind the counter drug so they will ask you what it's for.

Managing entropion/ectropion:  If you get yellow discharge in his eye you'll need to go to the vet for prescription Tricin asap. And if he starts to squint or paw at his face, there's a possible ulcer from the eyelid rubbing the cornea - another asap trip to the vet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's the one! Haven't seen him have any irritation from it yet, but isn't getting better with age. Here's an updated photo, he's 11 weeks now. Only seems to accentuate when he looks up at you like this, otherwise it's not so bad.

20200401_113535.jpg

• Like 1

He's got a beautiful personality too. Going to be a very loyal boy. He drives our older boy crazy though :laugh: constantly wants to play or be stuck to his side like glue when they're resting. Our older boy on the other hand needs his space, so one goes out the front, and one out to the backyard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1