Snook

Using Sanding Blocks on Dog's Nails?

5 posts in this topic

Snook   

Justice normally has his nails done by his groomer every two weeks (they grow quickly, especially since he's usually walked on soft surfaces) using a Dremel. He doesn't like it but tolerates it for an infinite amount of treats. As part of the social distancing that's recommended at the moment, I've cancelled his grooming appointments because of the risk of him carrying the coronavirus home on his coat, after being handled for a prolonged period by someone who has a lot of contact with people as part of their job. 

So, that means I have to find a way to do his nails myself and he hates them being cut so much that he has to be sedated for it (which makes him vomit and he still fights the cutting while sedated, so not putting him through that even once, let alone regularly.) I was thinking that I could use a sanding block from Bunnings to keep them short if I do a little bit each day (and give him peanut butter to lick while I do it lol) but I have no idea what an appropriate grit would be for this. Is anyone able to help? I'm also open to other ideas for his nails. 

This is a link to what they have available at Bunnings.. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?page=1&q=Sanding block&sort=BoostOrder&pageSize=18

I preferred the 80 grit on my dogs when they were self-filing with a nail board.

I sometimes use roughly 100 grit with a human industrial nail file (good for smoothing edges).

I got sick of buying sandpaper so now I've got a DiggerDog. Same concept, longerlasting. As in, I've had mine about 6 months or so now and it's still going strong. When it wears down I can just purchase a new sheet for it

https://www.facebook.com/diggerdognailfile/

• Like 2

Snook   
12 hours ago, Two Best Dogs! said:

I preferred the 80 grit on my dogs when they were self-filing with a nail board.

I sometimes use roughly 100 grit with a human industrial nail file (good for smoothing edges).

I got sick of buying sandpaper so now I've got a DiggerDog. Same concept, longerlasting. As in, I've had mine about 6 months or so now and it's still going strong. When it wears down I can just purchase a new sheet for it

https://www.facebook.com/diggerdognailfile/

Thanks so much for the grit info. 

The Digger Dog looks great! Justice is definitely food motivated so could be suited to getting it to work and I love that it would be fun for him instead of stressful. It might have to wait a few weeks or so but I've bookmarked their website and started following their FB so I don't forget about. :)

Dogsfevr   

Go to the groomer as a groomer myself we have very little contact with people infact one industry where people time is very quick & easy to social distance

Snook   
1 hour ago, Dogsfevr said:

Go to the groomer as a groomer myself we have very little contact with people infact one industry where people time is very quick & easy to social distance

Thank you for the advice but I've decided not to.