Kelpie Rescue or Breeder in Vic?

JimmyTheHuman

We are going to get a second dog. we're at home for 6 months, now is the time.

We want a small/fine/smoochy kelpie. not a cattle ready working version.

We have 1 Kelpie, he is getting on, but still ok and we have 1 acre of land and we're outdoorsy and keen to train etc.

We've tried a few rescue apps on petrescue. but i wont be doing that anymore. I dont like sharing so much info and waiting for days for an email saying "we dont feel you are the right fit" based on filling in the worlds oldest online form. I understand why they are like this...i imagine how many wierdos they have to deal with. but its not a great experience.

So. We rescued our current dog through this forum in 2007! But they dont seem to be doing much here anymore? is there a secret way of rescues...or is petrescue it now?

As we have a small window of opportunity. we may have to consider breeder over rescue. Any recommendations for reputable breeders in Vic. Esp black n tan for companion quality kelpies? (we already know beloka and they may or may not have something)

Yes thanks...that organisation is actually one of the ones deterring me. They want too much info at the start, they say no in a 1 sentence email and then they share you private info in an insecure way - i get they are busy and volunteers - but sharing that much info isn't safe from a privacy and security perspective and the 8 word 'no' email isnt enough to let you know whats happening. But i do understand its volunteer and limited resources.

When you then compare the cost of a puppy with full pedigree and warranty from a known and reputable breeder is a little less than adoption, the whole system then relies entirely on my willingness to participate and really want to rescue, even though the experience is kinda crappy.

You can see the circular nature of the problem.

So I am not to trying to criticise, i know they are trying to do their best, but its flawed (in my opinion). When i rescued through this site in 2007 the experience was quite personal and the foster carer and i were able to chat directly and it really has worked out for the best, Jax has lived the life of a king as far as dogs go.

Since posting i have found a couple of breeders who have litters. I really want to be able to rescue...but not sure what to do.

Sorry about that I didn't realise you'd tried them. 

You could always go through https://www.savour-life.com.au/adopt-a-dog/ although you do have to register to see the dogs as far as I know? (they don't spam you though).
Your other option is going to the pound or a shelter and meeting a doggy or two in person. However with Covid, most have shut their doors to the public so that's not a very helpful suggestion if time is a factor.

There's got to be a rescue out there with a privacy policy who can give you more than a one sentence reply. Yes it does get busy that's for sure but we try to explain things when replying. Even though telling someone no is really hard and not my favourite task. :(  

I wish you all the best whether you rescue or go via a breeder.  :)  He or she will be a very lucky dog. 

Pawfect Pals has an adult kelpie right now - friendly and trained

They are in Melbourne and are a smaller rescue so hopefully have the time for you  :) They have some other kelpies too, if you want to touch base with them.

Edited by Two Best Dogs!
  • Like 2

Pawperfect is another organisation with a form that was made by a well meaning volunteer...why would they need to know my occupation? I'm Lawyer or a Bricklayer - which best for owning dog type A, B or C?

No talking to anyone unless you fill in a form. It deters a lot of people i have found out since i've started trying to rescue again.

Same reason I assume my breeders had me fill out a 4 page form - to be reassured the dog is going to a home with an income.

Have you tried directly messaging them ? Or are you contacting by way of applying to a dog first up?

It might make your way easier if you have your initial contact to be super open ended. e.g. "do you have time for a phone call to discuss a couple of your dogs?"

• 1 month later...

I tried exactly as suggested. In order to chat with anyone about anything you must fill in the form. When they reply, DENIED i contact them and say, would you mind chatting with me or helping me understand why...you get told some silly BS about wasting time. The form and details they need are not safe, the process is waaay too out of date...it's a shame...our current dog rescued from this forum in 2007 has lived the life of a king.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I dont see the problem with filling out a form first . Why would a foster career who may work full time want to talk to every tyre kickers out there . They don’t have the time . It’s basically sorting the wheat from the chaff . I do understand some questions I have seen are stupid but I’d suck it up . Breeders dogs might be cheaper initially, but a rescue will be vaccinated and desexed so cheaper , plus you can get a better match and backup 

16 hours ago, juice said:

I dont see the problem with filling out a form first . Why would a foster career who may work full time want to talk to every tyre kickers out there . They don’t have the time . It’s basically sorting the wheat from the chaff . I do understand some questions I have seen are stupid but I’d suck it up . Breeders dogs might be cheaper initially, but a rescue will be vaccinated and desexed so cheaper , plus you can get a better match and backup 

Yep, maybe the form needs some thought. Because sharing that much personal info is simply not safe. Plus there is no way you can learn enough about a families suitability from filling out a form. It requires a discussion at least. But i know that can use a lot of time...i just think a better balance could be had.

I did try quite a few rescue options, organised a puppy from a breeder and continue to try for rescue until puppy time. So i did what i could.

• Like 1