Getting A New Maltalier Puppy.

Hello everyone. I am new here and I hope you will not judge me. I have a question and I'd like to get some other people's opinions, please. I am looking to buy a Maltalier puppy. They are not cheap and they are charging 2600 dollars a puppy. I currently have one who is 11 almost 12 but sadly she is on medication for her heart as she has problems and is coughing/gagging occasionally and she may only have a year max to live. It kills me knowing I may lose my friend soon but knowing I got another puppy to look forward to I am just a wreck of emotions right now. It is good to know I am getting a new friend but also sucks I am losing one. Anyway, I have a problem with weed. I do like to smoke weed quite a bit, but I am happy to quit cold turkey if that has any impact on my dog. I never smoked around my current dog as I have quite the big house and I am always outside and she is on the other side of the house. I just don't know what to do. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this breed and to know that I in some way shaved years of its life due to my smoking. I don't know why but this breed is the only breed that has helped me get a part-time job and bring some sort of normality back into my life. I am treating myself better by not eating as much crap and the dog keeps me happy. I know I may sound like I am so emotionally dependant on a dog but I really just love this breed. Thank you for reading. If I need to quit weed so be it I will.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheena said:

I have never heard of a Maltalier....are they a purebred??

Maltese x Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  Not an ANKC recognised breed. But seeing as there is more than one way to ‘recognise’ a dog, they are a popular mixed type. I see them regularly in pet grooming. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

I've lived around pot heads with dogs (including my father, which may be why I don't smoke). I've never sensed that the smoke harmed the dog... though being zoned out sometimes leads to inconsistent training and care.  

I recall many years ago a dog coming into rescue who was blind from living in a pothead house.  The people thought it was very funny to blow smoke into the poor little thing’s eyes.   

:mad   :mad   :mad

• Sad 2

sounds like mitral valve, nothing to do with smoke, drugs or anything not inherited,

a cavalier trait seems to be almost a breed trait from how many I am hearing have it.  There was a breed book at one pet shop  I read that said the average life span was 7 years... it did not state why, but that's about the age most die of it.

pretty sad considering most toy breeds live well into their teens.

On 02/04/2020 at 5:53 PM, Daniel Evitt said:

Hello everyone. I am new here and I hope you will not judge me. I have a question and I'd like to get some other people's opinions, please. I am looking to buy a Maltalier puppy. They are not cheap and they are charging 2600 dollars a puppy. I currently have one who is 11 almost 12 but sadly she is on medication for her heart as she has problems and is coughing/gagging occasionally and she may only have a year max to live. It kills me knowing I may lose my friend soon but knowing I got another puppy to look forward to I am just a wreck of emotions right now. It is good to know I am getting a new friend but also sucks I am losing one. Anyway, I have a problem with weed. I do like to smoke weed quite a bit, but I am happy to quit cold turkey if that has any impact on my dog. I never smoked around my current dog as I have quite the big house and I am always outside and she is on the other side of the house. I just don't know what to do. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this breed and to know that I in some way shaved years of its life due to my smoking. I don't know why but this breed is the only breed that has helped me get a part-time job and bring some sort of normality back into my life. I am treating myself better by not eating as much crap and the dog keeps me happy. I know I may sound like I am so emotionally dependant on a dog but I really just love this breed. Thank you for reading. If I need to quit weed so be it I will.

Dogs are wonderful companions.

the reason so many now are being recognised as "service dogs".

except its not a "new thing" as many might think.  its no accident that surveys have consistently found people with pets live longer, happier and less stressed.

Which is what you too have discovered.

Actually for her breed mix she has done very well..  sadly so many of us fervently wish our pets lived much longer.    

She is not a breed,   she is what is called a crossbred.

it was the garden knome that I believe decided to rebrand x breds as "designer breeds"

in the cattle world, the cross of two different breeds, usually results in the progeny being bigger and tend to fatten faster,  than either breed of parent because of "hybrid vigour".... the catch is if you keep the progeny they have to be crossed to another unrelated breed or it fails in the next generation.

in dogs, crossing two different pure breeds has been touted for decades now as  creating "hybrid vigor" too.   the problem is if both breeds carry the same genetic defect then so will the puppies.... so crossing two different breeds that both carry for example, luxating patella, mitral valve, pra, pll. and sorry forget all the others that can be in both, if the parents have not been dna tested..........which does not usually happen if they are intended to produce cross bred puppies.

Also there are many defects that there is no dna tests for yet. as recently pointed out there are over 20,000 possibilities compared to, is it less or more than 100 available to date?

The problem in dogs, is all are Canis familiaris.   

With cattle there are two very unrelated lines that can be crossed with far greater hybrid vigour than can ever be achieved with dogs.

Bos Indicus – Tropical breeds

Bos Indicus cow

Bos Indicus cattle are developed from lines of the Indian Zebu, most commonly known as Brahman.

Cattle with Bos Indicus bloodlines can be distinguished by a hump on their back. They also have large ears and dewlap (the saggy skin in front of their chest), which help to keep them cool. Bos Indicus cattle are better suited to walking long distances for water and foraging. Tropical breeds are tick resistant and well-suited to the extremes in temperature of Northern Australia.

and

Bos taurus can be classified into two sub-categories, British breeds and Continental breeds. Continental breeds, also called Exotics, are breeds that originated in Europe. These cattle are known for weight gain and cutability.

Teys cows

Bos Taurus breeds are derived from British and European stock, and they are best suited to the cooler regions of Southern Australia. Arguably, the best known Bos Taurus breed is Angus, which originates from Scotland. Bos Taurus cattle have thicker coats which allow them to weather cooler winters, and they do not have the notable ‘hump’ of their bos indicus relatives.

There are approximately 100 Bos Taurus breeds in Australia,

Edited by asal

Now is not the time to get a puppy, when you have a dog with heart problems they don't need the stress.  It's why you don't get 85 yr olds to baby sit toddlers ....

The type of dog you mention is most likely from a puppy farm - an absolute no no due to the way the parents endure horrible environments.  

Finally, yes, secondhand smoke can definitely affect animals. I rescued a beautiful 9 yr old dog from a heavy smoker and she died a year later from lung cancer.  I don't believe that was a coincidence.

• Like 5

I would not pay that price for a crossbreed .
I would expect the parents to both have current health testing & not a Vet said they where healthy line  if there wanting to charge that much for pups .
That is more than my pedigree pups which are registered ,health tested parents & full breeder back up .

But I’m doubting this post is legit anyway and would have thought giving up weed if legit would have been important enough for the current dog 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Her Majesty Dogmad said:

Finally, yes, secondhand smoke can definitely affect animals.

We once got a kitten from a house where weed was regularly smoked - he was definitely "speshal" ..kinda slow in development and so laid back it was hilarious . 

• Like 1

If you're paying that much for a puppy, make sure you're getting your money's worth. Have the parents been screened for health issues and congenital defects that might occur in either breed in the mix? How are the parents housed? Many 'designer' dogs are bred in poor conditions. How are the puppies being raised? Does the breeder not only offer, but expect to provide lifetime care? A responsible breeder will be prepared to offer advice and support through the entirety of your dog's life, and will take them back into their care if for whatever reason you can no longer keep them. When purchasing a puppy, this is the bare minimum to expect-- and $2600 is a lot to fork out if you're not getting the bare minimum.

If you're after a particular temperament, buying a mix is not setting you up for success. They are by definition a mix of two different breeds, and you're not going to know what traits will be present in your puppy. When the time is right, most probably when you are not caring for an ailing senior dog (and when the covid-19 threat has passed), perhaps meet some purebred dogs at a dog show and talk to some breeders. Your new puppy can never be your beloved old dog, but your best bet in finding a similar temperament will be in a recognised breed with predictable personality traits.

Wishing you well; I can imagine it must be so very tough for you to prepare for the end of your special little friend's life. Take care.

• Like 2