New arrivals

BJ.

We lost our Jester back at the start of January and for the first time in forever there were no dogs in our house. It was far too quiet and there was something missing. So I put it out to the universe last weekend, low and behold on Thursday I had a phone call from a vet who had two elderly beagles surrendered. Their poor owners had been looking for over 3 months for a rental that would take their small family and their two dogs. The dogs had been in a kennel for all that time and the family were in a hotel. So we now are the owners of a male and female beagle. They are 13 and 12 respectively. They had some fatty lumps removed, their teeth cleaned and blood tests on Thursday. They are the sweetest things, and have settled quickly. He just wants to eat and sleep, he has some medical issues. She is a little live wire but tries very hard to do the right thing. Look at these gorgeous old faces.

FB_IMG_1586608000181.jpg

FB_IMG_1586607951899.jpg

FB_IMG_1586607942165.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Lol I didn't know they were FB famous. They have settled in well, unfortunately they are not good with cats but that is a work in progress and we are managing it by separation.

Their names were Boomba and Digger, hubby would like to change them to Boomer and Daisy. As the dogs are hearing impaired and don't answer to their names anyway I don't think it will be a problem.

Their old owners dropped off some medication for them Saturday and once they took the dogs off their application they got a house straight away. Some good news for them at least.

• Like 6

On 4/14/2020 at 12:03 PM, BJ. said:

Their old owners dropped off some medication for them Saturday and once they took the dogs off their application they got a house straight away.

Bittersweet. What a shame - as if those old souls would be a detriment to good housekeeping. ( well at first glimpse) :love: I hope we see more updates  :) They are the most wonderful of elderly faces ...

• Like 1

Weird question, but will you let the old owners visit (even in a park, ect) down the track? I know it can be confusing for pets in this situation but... if they were that old, and had been with their peeps all their life...  I mean, maybe a year or so down the track to give them time to settle in.?

When I got Loki as a puppy, a year or two later his breeder holidayed in Tas and asked to stop in and say hello.  Loki was so happy! Knew her instantly and was very excited. Even  though he had lived with me for a year or so , and loved our family he was so happy to say hello to her! But because he hadn't seen her for ages it was good for him, but he didn't fret for her after she left again.

• Like 1

On 14/04/2020 at 12:03 PM, BJ. said:

Their old owners dropped off some medication for them Saturday and once they took the dogs off their application they got a house straight away. Some good news for them at least.

Make me so cross that people have to go through this sorrow, I think it would destroy me.  Few people and their dogs are as lucky as these are to have found someone like you, @BJ.

17 hours ago, persephone said:

Bittersweet. What a shame - as if those old souls would be a detriment to good housekeeping. ( well at first glimpse) :love: I hope we see more updates  :) They are the most wonderful of elderly faces ...

Sheer bloody mindedness, I think.  It’s like taxi drivers not taking dogs ---  the dogs are probably cleaner than many of their passengers.  

7 hours ago, cannibalgoldfish said:

Weird question, but will you let the old owners visit (even in a park, ect) down the track? 

I don’t think that is a weird question :).  I think it depends on the dogs’ personalities, but it is an interesting proposition.    

• Like 1

This bittersweet situation highlights the problematic renting system and pets. We moved back to Brisbane in 2016 and it took 3 months to find a rental that would allow our two inside despite a long history previous training, crating and recommendations from previous rental managers that we and the dogs are excellent tenants. We were lucky in that my OH’s company paid for the move and the 3 months of short term accommodation with our dogs to find a suitable longer lease home. In the end we were so desperate we took the only one offered at the end of 12 weeks - totally unsuitable for 2 labs as it was on a postage stamp sized block with no yard privacy in a multi school area and incredibly high rent.

We need a system that doesn’t discriminate against pet owners. I cannot imagine the devastation the previous owners experienced and the confusion the dogs experienced.

• Sad 1

Nothing like an old dog - and an old Beagle is so beautiful.  Our first dog, a Beagle x , lived to 17 years and was the sweetest girl ever.  It's always a privilege to look after an oldie and they certainly teach us a thing or two!

• Like 1

"We need a system that doesn’t discriminate against pet owners" 

I totally get this, I'm a pet owning renter but I've seen some terrible damage from pets. One of the houses I rented a few years back had a room with massive pee stains on the carpet in one room where the owner kept their dogs locked up. A bloodstain (despite numerous cleaning) from where the owners once had a cat (see the two dogs above  and yes, it's what you think :( ) and despite several carpet cleans, and several bug bombs, a massive flea infestation. Do I blame the pets? no. But I can see how home owners would be wary. 

I don't know how to solve it? A damage bond is a damage bond, no matter how it occurs? )pet or otherwise) But bogans seem to skip out of paying bond anyway :( 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 2:41 PM, suziwong66 said:

We need a system that doesn’t discriminate against pet owners. I cannot imagine the devastation the previous owners experienced and the confusion the dogs experienced.

Couldn't agree more!

• Like 1