Wildlife

s.bale23

Hi, 

I have a 9 month old German Shepard who is potty trained and goes outside for business when she needs to but recently I’ve been having an issue of incidents inside the house. Before she sleeps and after she wakes up she should go toilet but I cannot take her toilet as she barks and chases the possums and bats in our backyard, even with a leash on she will continue to jump up at the trees and the only way she will go toilet is if I let her go without lead, which then I struggle to catch her 30 min later and will have to chase her around the backyard. I’m really tired of cleaning up accidents and wish to find a solution to this problem so I can finally sleep. 
Thanks

Edited by s.bale23

7 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

What’s her behaviour like in public when on a lead 

Well she is quite well with people and everything and generally doesn’t pull on the lead, though she has barrier aggression and barks at fast vehicles.

My experience with GSD's (from running a boarding kennel) is that they tend to be disciplined and easy dogs, at least towards family, but if they get the notion that they are boss, they can be horrid.  9 months is an age where juvenile delinquency often starts, and with the pup I have in mind, defiant toileting was a prominent problem.  I'd suggest working with a trainer. I may be overreacting, but I won't ever forget having to cope with that particular dog. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2020 at 8:52 AM, s.bale23 said:

Well she is quite well with people and everything and generally doesn’t pull on the lead, though she has barrier aggression and barks at fast vehicles.

So you have issues on the leash ,you need to start there .
If you can't control your own pup in the backyard on the leash  & have issues in public then that is red flags for you .
You need to go back to basics with training or source a trainer who will get back on track

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 6:06 AM, s.bale23 said:

even with a leash on she will continue to jump up at the trees and the only way she will go toilet is if I let her go without lead,

YOU need to teach her to toilet onlead, and to NOT bounce around like a fool on lead. You are the human ... 

perhaps begin with several short/sharp obedience sessions a day ..just a few minutes -  away from distractions , using plenty of rewards ... so you get a good line of communication happening ..and she starts to listen . 
Also EVERYTIME she toilets (yes, you will need to follow/watch her) use a cue work, with praise . use a word you will be happy using in public ..like "quick", or "busy"  or one of your own . She will learn that the word means toilet time , then when ON LEASH, say the word, and toileting happens. This may take some time..not going to happen in a week or so ...

On 29/04/2020 at 4:33 PM, persephone said:

YOU need to teach her to toilet onlead, and to NOT bounce around like a fool on lead. You are the human ... 

perhaps begin with several short/sharp obedience sessions a day ..just a few minutes -  away from distractions , using plenty of rewards ... so you get a good line of communication happening ..and she starts to listen . 
Also EVERYTIME she toilets (yes, you will need to follow/watch her) use a cue work, with praise . use a word you will be happy using in public ..like "quick", or "busy"  or one of your own . She will learn that the word means toilet time , then when ON LEASH, say the word, and toileting happens. This may take some time..not going to happen in a week or so ...

Hi, 

Thank You very much for the recommendation, is it weird that she knows how to potty on command but not at night when there are possums and bats in the trees? Also any tips for barrier aggression with dogs, she’s super friendly a sweetheart just seems scary on a lead.