Puppies required

Nepal_AU

Hi ,

I am based in Melbourne and after brittany puppy as a pet. I have been looking around and none available . Contacted few breeder through  dogz online not available till end of this year or next year. I was after brittany due to size, endurance, active and good with people etc. Which suited our lifestyle .

Since not many Brittany available are there any other  similar breed (character, behavior , intelligent , size) that i can look into. That fits my criteria,  i do short to mid length mountain biking, hiking wanted to take them for run etc so endurance is important.  

Any suggestions be really helpful, 

Thanks in advance 

Tbh I think getting any kind of dog, be it purebred, crossbred, rescue, puppy or adult, will be pretty hard right now. Everyone has decided now is the time to get a dog. 

I know there was a litter of Brittany's in Vic that went to their homes in early April because a family member got one - but they had been on the list for about 8 months and developed a very good relationship with the breeder. Sometimes you just have to wait.

I've heard field spaniels are excellent dogs too, so it may be worth checking them out? Or the Welsh Springers seem to be hardy dogs of a similar size to the Brittanys, though whether these types of dogs are too drivey for bike work I've no idea.

Sorry to say I agree with the others.  This is probably the worst time to try to get a puppy from a good breeder without having built up a relationship beforehand.   The good breeders that I know are being swamped with requests from people who are deciding that lockdown is a good time to get a puppy .. and have not thought through whether they are in a position or have the ability to make a 15 year commitment to a dog.   

I know that you are not one of those people, as I remember your posts from August last year. so you've been thinking this through for a while.  Just warning you that the good breeders are getting rather swamped with emails and phone calls, so please don't be put off if you get a less than enthusiastic response to a puppy enquiry. 

It's great that your future dog will have lots of wonderful activities - but do remember that you need to consider a few things.   Your future dog will need to be about 12-15 months old before he/she will be physically mature enough to be able to join you in any serious hiking and especially biking - in fact for serious biking, you would want to wait till 18-24 months.   During that waiting time you will need to spend lots of time building up a great relationship with the pup, training for loose leash walking and general good behaviour, getting to know your pup and possible characteristics you nmight need to work on .. I'm thinking of things like herding dogs and moving animals, gundogs and birds etc.

so one of the things you might want to consider is whether you might be better off taking on an adult dog of a breed you're interested in.

In terms of breeds, the Brittanies I've known are delightful and great fun .. but not the easiest dogs in the world to train .. they take time and patience!   

• Like 6

Thank you everyone for your response . I could manage to pick one litter from registered  breeder in Melbourne.  Went and checked out both parents and its siblings. Healthy and well taken care. Picking up in 4 weeks. Cant wait to have him. I was researching and setting up for 1.5 yr it was not just purchased out of covid boredom. It was a right time  as i will be WFH next 3 months atleast.

Thankyou all. Any suggestion  on bringing new puppies please do let me know.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Nepal_AU said:

Thank you everyone for your response . I could manage to pick one litter from registered  breeder in Melbourne.  Went and checked out both parents and its siblings. Healthy and well taken care. Picking up in 4 weeks. Cant wait to have him. I was researching and setting up for 1.5 yr it was not just purchased out of covid boredom. It was a right time  as i will be WFH next 3 months atleast.

Thankyou all. Any suggestion  on bringing new puppies please do let me know.

That's great.  Because you'll be WFH, one of the things you'll need to pay attention to, is making sure the pup has plenty of time actually physically separated from you .. so building into your training some set time during the day most days, when you go out without the pup, or the pup is in another room …. which will be super hard with a cute Britt baby.

There are some great training videos on YouTube ..look for Kikopup, Zak George, Donna Hill among others

And some free downloads from

Ian Dunbar

Edited by Tassie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2020 at 11:25 AM, Tassie said:

That's great.  Because you'll be WFH, one of the things you'll need to pay attention to, is making sure the pup has plenty of time actually physically separated from you .. so building into your training some set time during the day most days, when you go out without the pup, or the pup is in another room …. which will be super hard with a cute Britt baby.

There are some great training videos on YouTube ..look for Kikopup, Zak George, Donna Hill among others

And some free downloads from

Ian Dunbar

Totally agree especially with a Britt they can be insanely needy & vocal so setting up for a real life routine is a must .
Its ashame so many owners don't grasp that when they all think right now is perfect .

• Like 2

Thank @Tassie and @persephone appreciate  a lot. i have been researching  and going through those videos  to prepare myself  . Yes my wife is home and not working at the moment so when i am busy she will be looking after the dog :). Absolutely  will need plenty of attention.