Heamatoma on ear

juice

Barbie has a Heamatoma on the top of her ear which randomly appeared today . She wrestled with Zelda earlier so could have happened then . 

I know it can be drained or I can leave it and it will eventually go , but should I at least get her some pain relief? 

Has anyone had one ? 

FCF98BCD-5583-4119-A765-7A34F0A358DF.jpeg

Have you had one drained pers ? It does say they can refill if you drain them . 

I just want to be sure it’s not painful. She is terrified of people , noise , cars , you name it , so vet visits are hard and mine are doing contactless appointments where they take them off you . She would be beside herself without me . 

Edited by juice
  • Sad 2

Have you even sought treatment for that? The anxiety that is. You could ask your vet about pre visit pharmaceuticals to lessen her anxiety. You would want to trial the medication advance so you know if it helps and how long it takes to kick in.

ETA if they suggest acepromazine say no as it’s a chemical straight jacket with no anti anxiety effect.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

To reduce the possibility of more trauma being caused from head shaking, you can bandage the ear flat. Draining may or may not work... it depends on which vessels have ruptured in there.

It is best to have the haematoma seen by a vet to assess whether it needs a surgical option, or whether you have a chance it may heal on it's own.

T.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, juice said:

Have you had one drained pers ? It does say they can refill if you drain them

I worked at a vet and we did heaps ..they are stitched etc afterwards to stop them refilling .....and of course have to wear a  cone     they do refill if the blood vessels/tissues aren't closed/squashed flat and kept  that way  :( it makes a 'cauliflower ear ' a few of our old workers had untreated haematomas in their day , and ended up with twisted ears ... not painful, just discomfort ..they didn't seem to worry about them much . 

• Like 1

T , she has pointy ears so not sure I could bandage it flat . Turns out her sister and Zeldas dad had them too and they just resolved on their own , just wrinkly after . I have made a vet appointment for sat . Would prefer not to put her through surgery if it’s not vital . Pain from having your ear sliced and stitched maybe just as bad as letting it resolve with pain meds . Will see what vet thinks . She is fine , not at all bothered by it , no head shaking . 

• Like 2

Depends how big it is ,if small they will drain away with no issues on there own .
If large they will still go away but you end up with a damaged ear ,we call it Cauliflower ear as thats what they look like end results  & that can be a pain afterwards .The ear may also flop
The risk of doing nothing is it gets bigger before smaller ,the head shaking may give it one on the otherside or the dog scratches the ear causing other drama's
Never used pain meds when little only used pain meds after surgery for the few days .Never had a dog with an issue afterwards just got on normal ,the stitches stay in for 3 weeks with the tubes,eray film,button or pads depending on what the vet uses ,We only have tubes used
Some vets depending on the size will inject a cortisone with good results although we have never used this option .
The surgery is very simple & the vet can just give pre med in your care & take dog away.

Ours have never required the cone afterwards & get on with normal life there & then

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1

The day after Zig’s surgery (actually drugged up the same night he was happily staggering around trying to do the same) he was back flirting with the girls and very much his normal, happy self. Before the surgery he shook his head at the vet and cried. Not a concern since. Anti-inflammatories and ABs of course. The only occasional help he needs is to negotiate doors with his cone head and to rub his face because he can’t. 

Edited by The Spotted Devil
  • Like 3

How did you go at vet Juice? Stussy developed one after a dog fight. It was large and very uncomfortable. She had to have surgery and was a lot miserable but it healed and no reoccurrence, although that ear remains sort of thicker and she doesn't like me to rub over where it was anymore. She had to wear a cone right up until the stitches were out or she was trying to rub or scratch the ear. I made her a fabric soft cone so she could cope better (it was QLD summer too).

P1050311r.jpg

Edited by Little Gifts
  • Sad 1

The vet agreed it was ok to just leave it for now. Its right on the tip and its not bothering her at all. She said if it had been nearer the ear canal it would need surgery. If it gets bigger or she starts to shake her head i will go back.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, juice said:

The vet agreed it was ok to just leave it for now. Its right on the tip and its not bothering her at all. She said if it had been nearer the ear canal it would need surgery. If it gets bigger or she starts to shake her head i will go back.

Great news!

T.

2 hours ago, juice said:

EXCELLENT !!! No more trauma :)