Help with our new dog :(

Hi everyone, 

I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice. Apologies in advance for the length of this (and also that it is slightly rambling). 

We recently adopted a 2 year old heeler x kelpie named Rosie. She's a sweet angel - but very timid, which we knew when we adopted her. The problem is that she seems to be displaying some separation anxiety issues that she didn't have in the first few days. We have only had her for a week so I know it's very early days but we're getting desperate. 

My partner is working from home at the moment and I don't live in the same house but he does have a housemate as well. The problem is that whenever we leave her she howls and whines and scratches at the door. This started about 3 days in when we left her outside. So we moved her into the kitchen and now she has started doing it in there as well. 

We're trying to make sure she gets used to being alone because obviously my partner will be back at work soon and we don't want her to be in shock when that does happen but it isn't working out too well. 

She has become obsessively attached to us and must follow us everywhere we go. She sprints in front of us so we can't lock her in a room and gets very anxious if she thinks we're leaving. 

It's strange because she sleeps in the kitchen at night by herself and she has never howled then - but if we try and lock her in there during the day she howls. We have left her plenty of toys and treat dispensing puzzles and kongs stuffed with meat etc but it doesn't seem to be helping. We've also been taking her on about 3 walks a day to try and tire her out. 

She doesn't listen if we try and tell her to stay off the couch and it's like she has to be within 30cm of us at all times. 

We don't know what to do, the problem just keeps getting worse and worse every day. For example, today my partner put food in her bowl and bits of steak in a treat dispensing toy and then went into his room. She immediately sprinted down the hallway and started whining and scratching at the door and she also peed outside the door (She's usually house trained). 

It's very hard because we made it clear to the shelter that we are full time workers and they assured us that she didn't have any issues with being left alone. However, that is clearly not the case. 

We're getting to the point where we are talking about taking her back but we want to try everything to make it work first and we're holding onto hope that it may just be an adjustment period thing that she will stop doing once she fully settles in. 

We have tried leaving her for very quick periods of time and coming back in etc to desensitise her. But we know this kind of training takes a long time and he may be back at work in about 2 weeks. We don't want her to be miserable and it's also taking quite a big toll on us as we aren't able to get work done and we feel very anxious about the situation. She's a good dog and we love her but we don't know if we're the right fit for her. 

Any advice is welcome! Thank you for reading. 

Hi , and welcome. :)
You poor girl is obviously having a hard time . 
Before 'try this, try that " ...May I suggest you enlist the aid of a professional ? 
Tell us whereabouts you are (town/suburb) and someone will suggest someone who is reputable and experienced and trustworthy who can advise you . 

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply! We have contacted the shelter and they said they'll get back to us with their behaviorist but so far we haven't heard anything. We are in Melbourne. :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rosiex said:

Thank you for the reply! We have contacted the shelter and they said they'll get back to us with their behaviorist but so far we haven't heard anything. We are in Melbourne. :)

Maybe give these folks a call ?  CLICK HERE

Edited by persephone

• 2 weeks later...

would suggest sending her back ,it sounds like your not the right fit for each other .It also sounds like your expectations are for an instant perfect dog without the work .
It can up to 3 months for an older dog to feel like it "Fits in" but you all need to be prepared  to make the effort for this happen .
I think you need to take a step back in your thought process when you say "she doesnt listen to when we tell her off the couch " she most has no clue what your asking but your expectations & most likely reaction is confusing for the dog .
This is like taking on a new employee thats never done the job before & saying "just do it right " when never been trained to do it at all .

Older dogs rescue or not arent easier they come with the same amount of work as you need to retrain them to your household expectations .

• Like 4

I used to foster working dogs and quite often they have had separation anxiety type problems as they don't cope well in shelters.  If you decide to work with this dog it will be an ongoing routine for the life of the dog.  Some dogs calm down really quickly but any new adult dog to the home takes quite some time to decompress and shouldn't be taken off the property during this time.    Brain exercises help immensely as is varying your routine when you leave the house (so she can't anticipate what is happening and get anxious) and ignoring her when you return home until she is calm.  Fostering calmness at all times is important and perhaps start some basic training in teaching her self control.

I took on a retired breeding dog last year and it has taken 6 months for her to show her full personality.  She is now starting to show her stubbornness.  lol    

Here's a link that popped up in my Facebook page the other day that might help:  

• Like 2

To have a dog arrive and be totally perfect in whatever home environment is on offer, is a massive ask and not realistic.  

Dogs are more anxious after being abandoned/lost and not collected and it will take a while to settle in - AT LEAST 2 weeks and it's 2 months before you see the dog as they will usually be.  

ALso, being locked in a kitchen is not a great option for a young working breed.  I personally, as a rescuer of many years, would not place a young dog alone in a home where people work full time - especially not a working breed or busy type of dog.   People often want to go out in the evening, after work and what happens with the dog then?  It spends 16 hours alone.  A dog of this type and this age needs 2 long walks each day and preferably more interaction in between.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad
  • Like 2

On 03/05/2020 at 11:40 AM, Rosiex said:

Look here https://www.k9events.com/behaviour-vets.html#vic

And here https://www.ppgaustralia.net.au/

Edited by Papillon Kisses