Sign in to follow this  
Snook

New dry food option at Coles

17 posts in this topic

Snook   

I don't actually buy this but I follow the Pet Food Review page on Facebook and thought this might be of interest for anyone looking for a better quality budget dog food brand. 

"Nood is a wonderful dog food to see on supermarket shelves for an affordable price (just over $5/kilo), and it’s a very good reason to shop at Coles rather than Woolworths (who don’t seem to care how many pets are sick after eating their pet foods).

Far too many people for far too many years have fed their pets poor quality supermarket brands, so simply having a few better options on the shelves will result in the overall better health of our pets nationwide. Thank you Coles for taking that initiative 

But let’s take a step back. Nood is a good food, way above the bar in supermarkets, but how does it fare compared to our other highly-rated brands?

Let’s take a look at the Cage-Free Chicken Recipe

Chicken is the first (and second) ingredient, but the real story is the top five or six ingredients will likely be in similar proportions. When we take into account the lentils, peas, sweet potatoes, and likely the beet pulp, it would mean the meat will amount to around one third of those main ingredients – much less than you would initially be led to believe.

That said, these ingredients are decent especially when compared to many supermarket brands being nigh-on bags of grain and grain by-products. There are a number of other brands with significantly more meat, but for those you’ll pay twice the amount (or more).

There are a range of nice inclusions which will boost the overall health of your dog. Salmon oil for heart health, immune system, skin, and coat, as well as flaxseed which offers similar omega health benefits. There are a range of ingredients with “sciency” names which are all included for good reason, such as maintaining nerve and muscle function (potassium chloride) or prevention of urinary stones (DL-methionine), plus a whole host of vitamins, minerals, fruits, and veggies.

This has the hallmarks of a much better dog food than pretty much all supermarket rivals, so if you’re looking for an affordable dog food then this is worth considering.

Forget Woolies – go to Coles.

Ingredients

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Lentils, Peas, Sweet Potatoes, Beet Pulp, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Pea Flour, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil (A Source Of Dha), Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Dl-methionine, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Kale, Chia Seed, Pumpkin, Blueberries, Oranges, Quinoa, Dried Kelp, Coconut, Spinach, Carrots, Papaya, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Animalis Fermentation Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source Of Vitamin B1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (Preservative), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride"

https://www.petfoodreviews.com.au/dry-dog-food/nood/

sheena   

I have sometimes bought Natures Goodness & Farmers Market from Woolies...do you not consider these equivilent to Nood??  My dogs like them.

Snook   
1 hour ago, sheena said:

I have sometimes bought Natures Goodness & Farmers Market from Woolies...do you not consider these equivilent to Nood??  My dogs like them.

I don't feed any of the supermarket brands so I have no idea how they compare but I know people often ask about budget food options on here, so thought I'd share. There have apparently been some issues with a lot of dogs getting sick from food made by Woolworths but I don't know if Nature's Goodness is one of their brands or not? 

Rebanne   

Nature's Gift and Farmers market is NOT made by Woolworths.

• Like 1

sheena   
2 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

No but it is available at Woolworths.  I didn't realise that Snook was saying that Nood was made by Coles...sorry misunderstanding I thought she was saying it was available at Coles & all the food in Woolies was rubbish.  Didn't read that Snook said that Nood was made by Coles.

• Like 1

Snook   
2 minutes ago, sheena said:

No but it is available at Woolworths.  I didn't realise that Snook was saying that Nood was made by Coles...sorry misunderstanding I thought she was saying it was available at Coles & all the food in Woolies was rubbish.  Didn't read that Snook said that Nood was made by Coles.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes, Nood is made by Coles and some of the dog food made by Woolies has been making dogs very sick. I wasn't saying that you shouldn't buy any other brands from Woolies, or even that you should buy the Nood one from Coles. I was just sharing that there's a supermarket owned brand that sound like it might be better than some others. :)

sheena   
20 minutes ago, Snook said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes, Nood is made by Coles and some of the dog food made by Woolies has been making dogs very sick. I wasn't saying that you shouldn't buy any other brands from Woolies, or even that you should buy the Nood one from Coles. I was just sharing that there's a supermarket owned brand that sound like it might be better than some others. :)

No worries...I took it as you were saying that none of the brands that Woolies sell are any good...because I find those two brands pretty good

• Like 1

sheena   
2 hours ago, Rebanne said:

Can you point me towards where it says that Nood is made by Coles, please.  I have done some googling & can only find reference to Coles stocking it.  Also can't find where it says that it is Australian.

Snook   
12 minutes ago, sheena said:

Can you point me towards where it says that Nood is made by Coles, please.  I have done some googling & can only find reference to Coles stocking it.  Also can't find where it says that it is Australian.

You're actually completely right. It turns out that it was me who misunderstood what I'd posted.. lol.. and Nood is sold by Coles but not made by them and it looks like the food is made in the US. 

Yes it's as American as Walmart which also stocks it.  I can never get my head around Australian dog-owners falling about over dry dog food imported from USA.  Food miles just one reason, supporting Australian industries another, likelihood of 'reject' quality being fobbed on us another.  All valid.  

• Like 3

sheena   

Their wet food is made in Thailand and they are not owned by Coles. Yes dry is from US

• Like 1

Snook   
9 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Goodness. That ticks all the boxes for diet-induced DCM. :( 

What do you mean? 

Boronia   

maybe this @Snook  

What food causes DCM in dogs?
“The FDA is investigating a potential dietary link between canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) and dogs eating certain grain-free dog foods. The foods of concern are those containing legumes such as peas or lentils, other legume seeds, or potatoes listed as primary ingredients.
  • Like 1

Snook   
4 hours ago, Boronia said:

maybe this @Snook  

What food causes DCM in dogs?
“The FDA is investigating a potential dietary link between canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) and dogs eating certain grain-free dog foods. The foods of concern are those containing legumes such as peas or lentils, other legume seeds, or potatoes listed as primary ingredients.

Ahhh, okay. Thanks for that. I remember reading about DCM now that you've posted that. 

sheena   

Can someone please clear this up for me?  This is a comment left for me on Facebook when discussing the pros & cons of feeding grain free over a top quality kibble that is free of the grains most responsible for allegies. I would have thought that ingredients are listed by volume or weight & that when it list meat or fish meal that this is the dry weight.

This is the comment 

Be aware, that ingredients on kibble are listed in order of raw weight.
While meat may be listed first, this is as per it's raw weight, before processing extracts 60-70% of the water content.
Be assured, the kibble you feed is predominantly grain, as this has a much lighter raw weight than meat, enabling manufacturers to bulk out their kibble with grains (carbs) in much higher quantity than meat protein.

Snook   

I seem to recall something about it being based on raw weight but I'm not 100% certain. I'm interested in the answer though.